Monday, December 20, 2010

Word Of The Year

Leo Tolstoy, the Russian writer whose psychologically and morally complex novels are regarded as masterpieces of realistic fiction flunked in college. He was described as "both unable and unwilling to learn."

Tomorrow will start my memorable moments. It was actually fun going through the year and taking a look at the year in my rearview mirror. I was surprised that there was more memorable than I had anticipated and disappointed that there weren't more.

Previously I listed the most annoying words of 2010. So today I am going to share with you the words of the year:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_on_re_us/us_word_of_the_year

We have a lot of Jeopardy fans amongst us and next year will bring us the Jeopardy competition of a lifetime:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/14/ibms-watson-supercomputer-will-play-jeopardy-on-these-dates/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%7C190681

I'm closing with a very touching article. It just pulls on my heartstrings. Courage written all over it.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/18/with-love-sabrina-parker-and-matt-scozzari-face-a-deadly-diagno/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C190841

I'm looking forward to you all starting my week off with you always informative and great comments.

Who Am I?

I am one of the more amazing women that Bill has used as a Who Am I. I am a polio survivor, an Olympic athlete, and a doctor of medicine. I was born in 1935. A graduate of The Winsor School in Boston, I entered Radcliffe College as a pre-med student, and after my Olympic triumph focused on completing my education and graduated from Harvard Medical School. I went on to become a surgeon. I was also selected by Sports Illustrated as one of the top 100 female athletes of all time thanks to being the first triple crown winner in skating and the first American female to win a gold medal in skating. I never skated professionally instead concentrating on my medical career and my first marriage to a former owner of the Ritz-Carlton. I was the daughter of a prominent Boston surgeon and a homemaker. I had one younger brother. My parents gave me my first pair of skates at age eight. Illness almost ended my skating career before it began. At age eleven I contracted polio and nobody knew whether I would walk again. I was not scared about being sick. The fear I had was staying in the hospital overnight. I couldn't imagine anything worse. No one told me how serious it was. In fact, they took the sign 'polio' off my door, hoping I wouldn't realize how sick I was. Looking back, I don't think I ever knew how sick I was, because it never occurred to me that I couldn't and wouldn't get better. I recovered and was soon released from the hospital. Since I was still weak, the doctors encouraged me to return to ice skating, feeling that the exercise would improve my strength. The doctors were correct in their assessment; just four months after my polio attack I won my first competition: the Eastern Juvenile Skating Championship. I was known for the quote, "If you don't fall down, you aren't trying hard enough, you aren't trying to do things that are hard enough for you. So, falling down is part of learning for whatever you do, and it certainly is for skating." After winning the medals I entered Harvard Medical School and was one of only six women in a class of 130 students. I served on the Board of Directors of the American Cancer Society and chaired the National Library of Medicine Board of Regents. I also led international efforts to eliminate polio when she was a member of the World Health Assembly. My two marriages produced three daughters. I am in the Olympic Hall of Fame. Who Am I?

7 comments:

Lady DR said...

Interesting about Tolstoy. Never knew that.

Tomorrow we start Memorable Moments? I may have to play catch-up, given my schedule (wry s).

"austerity" is a new word? Perhaps, if we'd been familiar with it and applied it many moons ago, it wouldn't be such a shock to the populace today.

You're closing story is indeed heart touching, Bill. What courage and faith these two young people showed, in loving and supporting each other. And what understanding and compassion on the part of the grandparents and the boy's mother. I pray Matt will move forward and find much to be positive about in his life. Given his caring for and understanding of Sabrina, I suspect he may become a very strong, loving, caring man.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You don't have to post your memorable moments tomorrow. You can post them any time. They don't even have to be on the next three days. They can be when ever the urge hits you. You can even take over the blog for a day and post your memorable moments as a visiting blogger. That offer is available always to your or anyone here.

I don't think they meant "austerity" is a new word. They meant is was the most used or most searched word of 2010.

The closing story had me shed more than a few tears. But he will become a very good man. I have no doubts.

Bill

Pat said...

Very interesting about the word searches. I'm surprised that so many people had to look up "austerity". I guess it's a sign of the times. Not only will we not practice it, we don't even know what it is.

I'm really looking forward to the JEOPARDY computer vs. human contest. Not sure who I'm rooting for until I see a bit of how it works.

The last story was very touching (and very long). Very sad to hear the story of anyone with ALS, This brave girl was at least fortunate to have such a caring young man stick with her to the end, as well as other supportive people there for her.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am kind of surprised also that people had to look up austerity. Last year's word of the year was admonish and that surprised me too.

I'm rooting for Brad. Can't root for a computer and really am not a Jennings fan.

I also the story could have been shorter but still thought it was worth sharing. ALS is becoming more common and that scares me.

Bill

Karen said...

Tenley Albright!

William J. said...

Hi Karen

Welcome to the blog and of course you are right.

We try to feature a Who Am I three days a week and most of them feature a woman in history.

Thanks for stopping by!

Bill

Anonymous said...

[url=http://creditcarddebt.creditcompliance.com]Credit Card Debt[/url]