Thursday, December 16, 2010

Whatever

Colonel Sanders had the construction of a new road put him out of business in 1967. He went to over 1,000 places trying to sell his chicken recipe before he found a buyer interested in his 11 herbs and spices. Seven years later, at the age of 75, Colonel Sanders sold his fried chicken company for a finger-lickin' $15 million!

Whatever. For the second year in a row that came out on top as the most annoying word or phrase in the English language. I'm a sure a lot of you will be happy that my bad didn't make the list. Checkout what made the cut here:

http://www.canada.com/Like+whatever+Poll+results+find+most+annoying+English+words/3982753/story.html

The ones that didn't make the list that I would have liked to make it were; "to be honest with you", "if you will", "at the end of the day" and "at this point in time." I really don't mind "it is what it is". What would you put on the list? What would you take off the list?

From depressing words and phrases let's move on to depressing jobs. My occupation made the list:


http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/depression/10-careers-highest-depression-rate?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C190021
http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/12/15/larry-king-live-tribute-the-shows-11-greatest-moments/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%7C190220


It does surprise me that accounting and finance made the list. Does any job on the list surprise you? Any jobs not on the list that you would add? I would add firemen, policemen and EMTs to the list.

I'm closing with some laughs. We really aren't laughing are others, we are laughing with them. I'm sure most of us have had our embarrassing moments at work. Here are few ones that I am glad I didn't make:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/12/15/professional-mistakes/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C190230

I'm not confessing to my embarrassing moments so I am not expecting you to. However, if you want to tell us your deep dark secret about a work experience I know we would all appreciate it.

Looking forward to your comments.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

"Whatever" can be extremely annoying, yet I find myself muttering it on occasion, although not loud enough for anyone to hear. It's sort of a "vent" word for me. "Like" still drives me crazy, along with "you know." I agree with your additions to the list. The other one that bugs me is "I'd like to say." If you'd like to do so, please do.

My job is also on the depressing list, but I don't often find it depressing, although I'll admit to some frustration as a writer/editor. I'm not surprised to see care givers at the top of the list and I'm sure those of us here who are/have been care givers, even if not full time, can fully appreciate it's being first in line. Even if you're being paid, the issues remain the same.

I was a little surprised to see financial advisers, although if you can see peoples' mistakes in judgment and they won't listen to advice or blame you for their screw-ups, it would be depressing. Wait persons kind of surprised me, having spent a lot of years in my early life as a waitress, as did my sister and my niece. Again, there were some frustrations, but I don't recall it being depressing. Most customers were pretty good and the great ones made up for the jerks, by and large.

Embarrassing moments at work. Probably the time I was in a meeting with three company directors, my boss used the "F" word and, without thinking, I stood up and slapped him (hey, I was a provincial mid-western girl, born and raised). After a moment of stunned silence, he looked around the room and said something like, "Gentleman, I suggest we not use that word when DanaRae is present." I could just as well have lost my job!

Pat said...

I don't mind "whatever". Don't actually hear it much. My current pet peeve, aside from constant #1, "nucular", is people that say, "know what I'm sayin'?" at the end of every other sentence. "Like" can be pretty darned annoying, too, depending on how (and how much) it's used. The rest of the ones on your list and theirs, don't bother me much. Whatever. {eg}

Nothing on the depressing jobs list surprised me.

One professional mistake I made that still amuses me was when I was secretary to a research doctor. He was asked to review a scientific paper, and his letter to the publisher went something like, 'For a long time a study of (subject) has been needed. Drs (insert names) have now provided such a study'.

I usually typed up his letters, signed his name, and sent them off, leaving a copy for him to see. Fortunately, in this case, he did read the copy and pointed out my typo: "Drs (insert names) have NOT provided such a study". Happily for me, he was a great boss and we had a laugh over it, and my next assignment was to write to the publisher over my own name, confessing my sin and rectifying the problem.

I've committed lots of little gaffes over the years, but that one continues to be the story I'm willing to tell. And btw, Bill, remember we do know about your "Pubic Accountant" cards. {g}

William J. said...

Hi DR

I use whatever when a person wants to continue an argument and I don't. There is no way they are going to think they are wrong so I just say whatever and move on.

Like and you know drive me up the wall as does "I'd like to say."
The reason I hate "at this point in time," is you can say the same thing with one word, now.

I was surprised to see writer and editors until I thought about it. Some of the inspirational stories are from writers who failed over and over again until they were a success. With that failure was probably financial hardships. Financial hardships are always depressing.

I always followed a policy of putting my advise in writing because people wouldn't take it and then blame me for their failures. Mostly it was relatives or friends that would do that and not the paying clients.

I was also surprised at wait staffs.

I love the story of you slapping the boss. But his reaction tells me that deep down he was a decent human being.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I probably mispronounce nuclear myself so I am goign to have to watch myself if I am near you. "know what I'm sayin'? is also very annoying to me.

I love the work story and how fortunate it was cause before it was published!

Ooops, I forgot about being a pubic accountant. Or at least confessing to it.

Bill