Saturday, April 17, 2010

Redemption

Sometimes redemption comes immediately, sometimes you have to wait thirty years for it.

I was getting ready to go to the bank to cash a hundred dollar check but before leaving I checked my mail. In the mail was a very nice card from my two bosses at the firm I just completed tax season for. The note had a hundred dollar bill in it and they wrote the following:

"Another successful tax season, Bill. Thank you for your wiliness to come back and help us. I used your workpapers as an example to F. for "how to do them." We would love to have you come back next year - keep in touch"

I absolutely loved the thoughtfulness of the message. I treasured the money because it was totally unexpected. But what I appreciated the most was the line "I used your workpapers as an example to F. as how to do them." Why?

I originally went to a four year college but after the accident I had to choose a college with good handicap facilities and the only one that fit the bill was a technical school. I received my A.A. Degree from the technical school in accounting technology. Then I received a scholarship to go back to the four year college. I took all my accounting classes at the technical school, all I took at the four year college was the electives required to get a B.S. Degree. The problem with doing the technical school first is that technical schools teach you practical things, they teach how to complete the task but not why you are doing it. I could do one hundred and twenty five strokes a minute on the adding machine, I just couldn't tell you why I was doing it. It really made for a very difficult transition from college to the working world.

After graduating from college I moved to Los Angeles. I wanted to become a CPA. To become a CPA you have to pass a two and one half day exam and work two years for a CPA firm. I didn't have a job when I first moved to LA. One day I decided to just hang out in downtown Long Beach. I put my suit on and headed out. When I got to downtown Long Beach, I spotted The Edison Building. I thought to myself there had to be a CPA firm in there. I walked in the lobby and sure enough there it was on the address board, "Arthur Young & Company." It was one of the largest eight accounting firms in the world at the time. I went upstairs and asked if they were hiring. They were. They had never heard of either of the small colleges in Southern Oregon that I attended so they asked if I would take a test. The test would take four hours. I was really coming down with a virus and was really sick to my stomach but I took the test anyway. I read the first thirty questions and only knew about ten of the answers. I was in a hurry to get out of there and get home to get some 7-up and rest. I kind of noticed in my ten answers a pattern. I didn't read any more questions, I just started marking the answers, following the pattern that I thought I had discovered. I would say to myself, no D's for a while so I better mark a D. Where are the C's. Got one now. I finished the test in a little over an hour. On they way home the partner at Arthur Young called me and asked if I would like to start work the next Monday. I had tripled the previous highest score on the test. Yup, little ole me had tripled the score of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, USC, UCLA grads. Had I read the darn questions no doubt I would have failed it.

Getting that high of a score on the test was the worst thing I could have done. It created expectations so high that I was never going to reach them. Combine that with my lack of knowledge of accounting theory and my first accounting job after college was doomed to failure. Instead of sending me out on my first audit assignment with their best senior accountant, they sent me out on my first audit assignment with their weakest senior accountant. Since the test score indicated star status they thought I could help him. The first audit assignment was to audit a hospital. Yup, after eight years in and out of hospitals the luck of the draw of audit assignments sent me to Woodruff Gables in Lakewood. They set up a trailer for T, the senior accountant, and I out behind the hospital. We would go into the hospital to get paper work and then go back out to the trailer to do our work. T was going through a divorce, he had one more chance to take the CPA exam and pass it or he was going to lose the two parts he had already passed. T was stress multiplied. My senior accountant on my first audit job out of college had a nervous breakdown and he had it on the job. I came to work one morning and there was T sitting pow wow style in the middle of the parking lot. He had this amazingly long extension cord, had the adding machine between his legs and set there adding up documents as cars whizzed by him and around him. I called the home office and reported the incident. I didn't think you could make it in five minutes from downtown Long Beach to Lakewood but the partner did. So there I was alone with no supervision doing workpapers that nobody taught me how to do.

Ten months into the job I got a call from home office to come in from the field. They fired me. The only job that I have ever been let go from. They said I didn't really understand the theory of accounting. They also said my workpapers were terrible and they doubted that I would learn how to do them.

Redemption is so sweet. Do you have any redemption stories you would like to share?

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

What a great story, Bill! And how happy I am that the firm you've been working for recognizes your abilities and talents and experience. Am somewhat familiar with AY&A, as they did a lot of audits in AK. IMHO, they did you a disservice in several areas but, since living well is the best revenge...

Redemption stories... when I worked for State of AK, as a space planner, the head of the division received an anonymous phone call (which is suspected to have come from a contractor I fought against hiring, since his plan resulted in parking delivery semis in the lobby of the nearby gov't building), saying I was sleeping with the consultant. Two months later, my position was cut from the budget. Because I had a good rep in the department, another division director created a position for me, one with more responsibility, the opportunity to learn a great deal about computers and an increase in salary.

Second story -- because I didn't have a master's degree, a firm in FL refused to hire me for an editorial position. I asked what degree they required and they said it didn't matter, could be in basket weaving, but the job description required the degree. This led me, through the encouragement of my critique group, to open my editorial business, which I've had for 23 years and which has been a wonderful experience, as well as profitable, and given me freedoms I'd never have had, if I'd been accepted for the office job.

There are others, little things that seem awful or even devastating at the time, that turn out to be the best thing that could have happened. I'm often reminded of the philosophy, "When God closes a door, he opens a window." You just have to look for that window.

redwhistle_2000 said...

I was just divorced and moved from 3200 sq. ft. to a 900 sq. ft. rental. The first thing I needed or wanted to do was to buy a T.V. The day of delivery, two men showed up with it and were heading to the front door of my condo. At the door, they dropped it and it broke. They left and left me with a brand new, broken T.V. I ran after them and they said I had to return it to the store. I was alone and had no one. I finally got the help of another newly-divorced friend who helped me load this awfully heavy T.V. into her small car (although it was a larger car than mine). We drove to the T.V. store who proceeded to give me nothing but trouble...saying it was my fault the T.V. broke...and after much crying on my part they agreed to replace the T.V. I never shopped there again and about 8 years later...the entire chain of stores went bankrupt...SWEET REVENGE!

William J. said...

Hi DR

There is no doubt AY did some dumb and unfair things where I am concerned, the part of the story that I didn't tell. When the let me go after ripping me for about thirty minutes, the said "can we ask you a question before you go?" I said sure. "How do you think we can better improve our relationship with the staff." I was laughing to hard to answer/

Anyone that turns in anonymous complaints is a scumbag. If you accuse anyone have the guts to stand behind the accusations and be known. Good for the division director that created a position for you!

I absolutely love the story of how you started your editorial business!

There is no doubt that when one door closes the other door opens!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Red!!

It is always nice to see you post!

Considering the way the company treated you I am surprised the lasted eight years!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Ah, Redwhistle, you're right - what sweet revenge!

Bill, I'm with you 100% on anonymous issues. I'd dealt with some when I was a supervisor and, unless the person was willing to give a name, as well as details of the event "perpetrated," I refused to consider them. Then again, there was no question of graft and corruption in the division where this occurred. TO clarify, the consultant and I - along with a team of four others - were working 16-18 hour days (like we had time or energy for hanky-panky) and he was married. And, yes, when the building contract was completed, there was no way to unload the trailers onto the loading dock

As to my editorial business -- I guess God had other plans and I'm ever so glad!

William J. said...

Hi DR

The only way I would ever support an anonymous whistle blower is if their life was in danger. Other than than, you accuse you stand behind it.

Bill

Pat said...

My entire film editorial career of 30-plus years was kind of an accident and each step was a result of my saying I could do something when I had absolutely no idea at first of what was involved or if I really could manage it. But it's not like accounting, which requires actual knowledge. The technical part at that time could be learned fairly easily, the rest of it is a pretty logical process along with some taste and hard work, so it is possible to "fake it till you make it".

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Accounting is actually a pretty easy subject just time consuming, I could teach you everything you need to know in one day,

My guess is that it would take you a lot more than one day to teach me music editing!

Bill