Friday, April 30, 2010

Casual Friday

Do you think dress has become to casual today? Has casual Friday expanded to every day of the week? Does it annoy when you go into a doctor or lawyer's office and the office staff is in jeans or mini-skirts? Do you appreciate it when someone wears a tie to church?

At the job recently completed everyone dressed pretty well. Friday was casual Friday so the jeans and tennis shoes came on and the dress shoes and nice clothes were replaced. No ties on any day though. What does it say about me that I wore basically the same style of dress everyday? Casual dress up. Nice shirt and pressed slacks. When I first went into the working world at my first job out of college suits were required. White shirts only. Yup, no colored shirts, just white shirts. Winged tipped shoes. If you spent a day working at a client you weren't allowed to brown bag it, you had to eat out. It was considered unprofessional to pack your own lunch. You had to portray an image of success and that included looking rich enough to afford lunch out.

This is my take on it. They went to far at my first job. Now they have gone way to far the other way. I am OK with no ties but when I go to a professional's office I'd like to see a more dressed up look then they have now. Here is Craig Wilson's take on it:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2010-04-28-final28_ST_N.htm

Do you agree with my favorite columnist? What is your take on how people dress today? To casual? Not Casual enough? Just right?

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Cassie Chadwick. Can you get today's?

I was born in 1878 in San Francisco and died in 1927 in France. I died when my scarf accidentally became tangled in the wheels of a Bugatti sports car, resulting in a broken neck.

I was the second daughter and the youngest of four children. My father was a poet and my mother was a pianist and music teacher. When my parents married, my father was divorced with four children and 30 years older than Mom. He supported our family through running a lottery, publishing three newspapers, owning a private art gallery, directing an auction business and owning a bank. When the bank fell into financial ruin our family moved to Los Angeles where he divorced and remarried. I did not believe in marriage but did have love affairs with a stage designer and a French millionaire and had a child by each. My children were tragically and accidentally drowned in 1913.

Later in her life I married a Russian poet but separated shortly after. As a child, I learned unconventionally to "listen to the music with your soul." My mother instilled in me a love for dance, theater, Shakespeare and reading. At the young age of 6 years old I danced for money and taught other children to dance. Dancing lessons took precedence over formal education; however, I read and was inspired by the works of Walt Whitman and Nietzsche. I am known as the mother of "modern dance," founding the "New System" of interpretive dance, blending together poetry, music and the rhythms of nature. I did not believe in the formality of conventional ballet and gave birth to a more free form of dance, dancing barefoot and in simple Greek apparel. My fans recognized me for my passionate dancing and I ultimately proved to be the most famous dancer of my time. I moved East and was funded by wealthy New Yorkers to give private appearances. In 1898 I expanded my dancing career by traveling to London on a cattle boat with my mother, my sister and brother. My first professional European performance was at the Lyceum theater in London in 1900. I turned down substantial dancing offers to join Loie Fuller's touring company and toured Budapest, Vienna, Munich and Berlin. I studied for one year in Greece where I purchased a site to construct an elaborate dancing stage. My performances were based on interpretations of classical music including Strauss' Blue Danube, Chopin's Funeral March, Tchaikovsky's Symphonie Pathetique and Wagnerian works. Later I opened a dancing school in Moscow where the Russian government promised to provide me with room and board and a schoolroom. However, after the school was built the government did not support me. To support myself I returned to the stage unsuccessfully in America and then toured Europe once more. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

I love that we can dress casually for almost any venue these days. I remember back in the 70s when I worked for a documentary film company and had to wear dresses for editing, of all things. We asked at one point to be allowed to wear pants to work, and the company finally agreed that the "upstairs" (editorial) people could, but the downstairs people who occasionally met the public could not. At first, they said we could only wear pants if they were "coordinated pants suits", but that soon deteriorated into slacks and blouses. Jeans came later, and these days, anything much more than jeans and a t-shirt in editorial, and people ask if you have a date later.

I'll admit that some people go a little too far in defining "casual", but I'd rather have it this way than be back in the days when I had to wear heels and pantyhose for work.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm kind of glad that I don't have to wear pantihose anymore too.

Seriously, I always thought a pant suit was fine for women at work.

I'm am glad it isn't as formal as it was before but I think it has gone to far.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Bill, I think the casual thing has gone too far, but maybe I'm an old fogey. Like Pat, I remember the requirements for dresses and heels and pantyhose (which were at least an improvement over hose and girdles and such). I remember when going shopping meant getting dressed up, including white gloves when I was a little girl. Glad that's no longer the case. I remember when air travel was a big adventure and you dressed in your best. Airlines have made that impractical - if one's to be crammed into a tiny seat and crawl over seatmates and such, it kinda precludes high heels and pencil-slim skirts.

OTOH, while most offices I visit do have folks in pressed, creased, attractive clothes, even if those are polo shirts and slacks on "casual Friday," I'm often appalled at the attire I see in stores and malls and doctor's offices and even restaurants and such. I'm a jeans and tee-shirt/turtleneck sort of person, but... the jeans are clean, fit well, the tops are attractive and clean and they fit. Men showing the tops of their undershorts and women wearing jeans or shorts that look like "two pigs in a bag" don't get it. I think there's a big difference between casual and sloppy or the sense of "I just don't care." Jeans, a nice top, maybe a vest or jacket, with appropriate shoes, can be very attractive. I think proper fit, cleanliness, a sharp appearance can be achieved in casual. My problem is with sloppy to slovenly and no apparent concern for either.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think you defined what I don't like to the T. It isn't so much what they wear as is how they way it. Butt cracks showing, unkept beards, unclean clothes. It shows not reaspect for either themselves or the people they are helping.

It isn't the jeans it is how they are worn!

Bill

Lady DR said...

I think what bothers me most is the sense they don't care what they look like, never mind how others might think. In kids, I can chalk it up to peer pressure and only wish their parents would try to influence their choices. But in adults... the lack of caring about cleanliness and something resembling respect and good taste is particularly worrisome, as I ask myself, "Why do they not care?"

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think they don't care because either nobody taught them what was acceptable, they are just lazy, or they suffer from depression.

Bill