Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's The Law

Just to keep you all informed about Blog stuff, there won't be a daily Who Am I but there will be one two to five times a week depending on what I find out there and how much time I have on a daily basis. The answer to yesterday's trivia was the founder of the League Of Women Voters, Carrie Chapman Catt.

Today let us salute an everyday hero. Read about an amazing woman that embraces her disability through art:

http://www.oregonlive.com/art/index.ssf/2010/04/legally_blind_catherine_miller.html

With the rest of the post we are going to honor Pat. She didn't use any excuses to avoid jury duty. Did all the things required of her. Then she didn't get picked. In The Edge Column in today's Oregonian they talked laws. You can read the Oregonian daily at http://www.oregonlive.com/,
Would you like to be on the jury if anyone broke any of the following laws:

If you are in Wilbur, Washington you can't ride an ugly horse, it's the law.

On a hot day in Lexington, Kentucky please don't carry that ice cream cone in your pocket, it could get you arrested.

In Carmel, New York if you go out in a jacket and pants that don't match you may have to take a side trip to jail because it is against the law not to be matched up.

In Zion, Illinois don't give your lighted cigars to dogs, cats, or other domesticated animals because it's against the law.

In Detroit, Michigan if you and you lover get steamy together remember it's against the law to make love in a car unless it is parked on your property.

In Tulsa, Oklahoma if you want to open a soda bottle you can only do it under the supervision of a licensed engineer.

Guys that are living in Idaho that want to give their love a box of candy? Remember it is against State law unless the box of candy weighs fifty pounds or more.

When visiting Wichita,Kansas before proceeding through the intersection of Douglas and Broadway don't proceed through the intersection until you get out of your car and fire three shots into the air. Coming soon at that intersection is my own sidewalk business, a gun rental and hot dog cart.

Any weird laws in your neck of the words? Which of the above mentioned laws do you like the best? And which law do you think will help save society?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Bill. I felt a little rejected when I got excused, along with the relief that I didn't have to sit through a 3 week trial.

If I were a juror, I'd let everybody off in the cases you mention, except anybody giving a lighted cigar to a dog or cat, or shooting a gun at an intersection. Those two, I'd vote guilty. And who's to decide what horse is ugly, anyway? Not me.

Bravo to the artist! But I wish articles like that gave links to more examples of the work itself.

Lady DR said...

What a great article about the artist, Bill. Thanks for sharing. We had a gentleman of about eighty-five, in our pen and ink class at FUlir, who was legally blind. He did some of the neatest drawings.

I think the only law I can support is not giving cigars to domesticated animals. (I assume the deer, fox and such are on their own?) I wonder how often the one about the intersection is enforced? (g)

I know we had some pretty strange laws still on the books in my old home town and we've got some strange ones here, but none come to mind at the moment. Then again, some of the recently passed laws at all levels seem pretty strange to me.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you re more art work. After your comment I tried to find her work on the Internet but it just kept taking me to the article. I think we should write the author and ask him/her to include more pictures next time.

All horses are cute there aren't any ugly ones!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

As promised when I run across good news articles I try to share them here. I would love the 80 year old gentlemen.

I also support not giving lighted cigars to animals! If I am ever at that intersection I am taking a gun with me just in case.

Bill