Wednesday, April 28, 2010

YAWN!

I had my annual physical this morning. Yesterday when I couldn't find a diet to lose ten pounds in 24 hours I almost canceled the appointment but didn't. The main take away from the appointment this morning is that I have to lose ten pounds. The good thing is I have more than twenty-four hours to do it. After having that dreaded awful bend over test it was determined my prostrate was in good health. The results of the other tests won't be in for about a week. Please keep me in your positive thoughts and prayers.

YAWN! Was that your reaction to what I just typed? Do you think people yawn because they are bored? You could be wrong. OK, one, two, three, everyone yawn now. Did you know that:

That fetuses as young as eleven weeks old yawn.

By one to two years old yawning becomes contagious.

That in one sturdy that twenty-one of twenty-nine dogs that saw their owner yawn, yawned themselves.

If one person yawns within five minutes more than half the people in a group will yawn.

Six seconds is the average length of a yawn.

Yawns most often recur one minute apart.

Psychotics rarely yawn.

Read this fascinating article by Jessica Yadegaran here:

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/virginian-pilot-ledger-star-norfolk/mi_8014/is_20100425/bored-just-blazing-brain/ai_n53292270/?tag=content;col1

Do you yawn? Because you are tired? Bored? Just to relax?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I didn't yawn at your report of your physical, Bill. Here are some good vibes for the test results to come back excellent.

Interesting article about yawning. I've long thought it was a way to get extra oxygen, but that, they say, is disproved. I guess my brain temperature tends to be okay, since I don't yawn all that often, but it's a little offputting to think I'm in the company of psychotics there. It is definitely contagious. When I see somebody yawn, I'm usually not far behind.

Lady DR said...

Good news on the physical, Bill. Not a yawn around here. Now that you're done with tax season, I suspect the ten pounds will come off a bit easier, especially if you join the Y and resume your walking, which you seemed to enjoy. Will definitely hold good thoughts for the rest of the test results.

Like Pat, found the yawn article interesting. Also, like Pat, my brain temp must be pretty level. That's a little scary... shouldn't I be yawning when I'm engaged in editorial work, especially rewrites and such? Hmmm... Actually, I mostly yawn when I'm tired. Sometimes when bored. Learned how to yawn with my mouth closed many years ago. A bit like gulping. Yes, yawns are contagious. I've watched them go around more than a few groups.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the vibes!

I don't yawn that much either. Nobody in their right mind would confuse with a psychotic. Now me, that might be a differnet story.

I also am next when someone yawns.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thank you for the good thoughts!

It is amazing to me how much we three are a like on so many things. I do, however, yawn with my mouth open and wide.

Bill