Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Race To Singapore

The Amazing Race in this week's segment raced to Singapore. Of course I immediately thought of our friend and poster here, Adi. Adi posts under the name of Snugpug and of course hails from Singapore. She emailed me and wondered if I watched this week's segment of the race and of course I did. I responded and asked her if she had been to some of the places that were on the show and here was her response:

"Well, the funny thing is that when you actually live in a place, you never really get round to doing the touristy things till friends visit and you do it with them. So I'm ashamed to say that I've never been up the Singapore Flyer (that giant ferris wheel thing), the closest I got to it was to eat at a restaurant under it -- what they didn't show was that it sits on top of a low-rise building with several shops and restaurants. I didn't do the zip line at Sentosa either, which is a little offshore island connected by a causeway, though I've been to Sentosa quite a bit, my friends and I used to take our dogs swimming at one of the beaches. That field with a stage where the contestants had to do the drumming, that's within walking distance of where another friend lives and I've walked his dogs there, and they have marked the grass there. :) Back in junior college (which is your senior high, I think? we were 18 years old then), the school had a lion dance troupe where the members (mostly boys) learned that sort of drumming but I was never interested in it."

There is the inside scoop on the segment of The Amazing Race that ended with the lesbian couple being eliminated. Thank goodness.

On Dancing With The Stars soap star Aiden Turner got the axe. I was sort of hoping it was going to be Kate the B. Maybe this week.

On Celebrity Apprentice the men finally won one. That lead to the gorgeous Victoria Secret Agent, Seleta being axed. I was hoping for Maria or Cindy Laupner.

Now my brief update. Last night was the end of the tax season party for the CPA firm that I just completed the assignment for had their end of tax season party. We had the party at a combination restaurant, bowling alley, sports bar, arcade in Lake Oswego called Players. Here is their web page:

http://www.eatdrinkbowlplay.com/home.htm

Everyone was given bowling t-shirts with the firm name on the front and your chosen nickname on the back. I had the receptionist pick my nickname. Whad did she choos my nickname to be? The Taxinator. Loved it.

On the agenda for next week: Take Mom to lunch tomorrow, we are going into the firm to lunch. Everyone wants to meet her and I want to show her off. Then there is picking up dry cleaning, housekeeping, laundry, joining the Y, writing two chapters, grocery shopping, a little relaxing, schedule my education, work on the July cousin reunion, and some things I probably forgot.

OK, your turn. Need your update. Tell me what your past week was like and what is on your agenda for next week. Also tell me if your were going to choose a nickname

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

Sounds like the "after party" was a lot of fun, Bill. Love the nickname. Looks like you've got a mighty busy week ahead of you. Nice, that Mom will get to meet the folks you've been working with and vice-versa.

My big news of the week is The Bone Scan Came Back Clear - Yea! Thanks to all who sent positive thoughts and vibes. There are spots of arthritis and I'm having the scan report faxed to my chiro, so we can look at it and see what's where. When I asked the nurse, who called with the results, what the next step was for the pain, she said, "Take anti-inflammatories and learn to live with it." I don't think so. Nor, thank goodness, does my chiro.

Otherwise, it was like I was Mom - a doctor or blood tests or scan every day of the week, what with the dermo and dentist added in. And editing every day, four days at the pool. Made a bit of a dent in a bunch of nagging little stuff.

Next week - Editing and pool. Begin planning the trip out west (thank goodness for the Good Sam detailed trip planner), draw the base plan for the bathroom renovation, fiddle with new recipe program, make a decision and start entering recipes, which are taking over the house. Research bathroom fixtures and straw bale gardening.

Mary Z said...

Great news, Lady DR!

Bill, I hope you enjoy the Y. I just use the pool for a deep-water aerobics class. On days that he doesn't row, John either swims laps or uses the fitness center.

I've had only one nickname - Rice. The summer before we married, I worked at a resort hotel in CO. I was so cold (coming from Houston), I wore my Rice sweatshirt the whole time (from Rice Institute - as it was then - where I was a student - Hence the nickname. Otherwise, just Mom or Grandma. LOL

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am thankful that your bone scan came out the way it did! I think I'd get a new nurse!

Sounds like you next week is also busy!!

Are you going West to see your Mom?


Bill

William J. said...

Bill

I love the nickname, Rice!

A lot of my bones are stiff from inactivity and if I don't start limbering them up I am going to pretty bad problems, therefore, the reason I am going to join the Y.

Bill

Pat said...

Can't think of any nicknames right offhand, but I love your new one, Bill.

Still coughing some, but feeling better. I have jury duty next week, but when I called in tonight, I was told I don't have to come in on Monday, which is Very Good News. Tuesday will be easier, if that turns out to be the day. Lots of little stuff to do on Monday.

Good news, DR. I hope your chiro, and maybe some PT, will cure you. At least the bone scan was clear, that's the most important thing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Boy that has been a long battle for you, I sure hope you get over your cough and everything related to the bug by today!

Looking forward to hearing about jury duty!

Bill

Unknown said...

Love your nickname.
The dogs that peed at Speakers' Corner, at Hong Lim Green (which was where the Amazing Race contestants did the drumming challenge) are here: http://snugpug.blogspot.com/2009/05/pink-party.html -- I'd blogged then about another event that took place at that same location.

Come visit. I'll do the zipline with you. :)

William J. said...

Hi Snug

I loved the link and am going to post it in tomorrow's entry!

Bill