Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15

A day that strikes fear into the hearts of many. For me, however, it is date I treasure. For me it is the end of seventy hour work weeks and daily stress. It is start of a new life. Every year, last year being the exception, I've been done with all my work on April 14 and just used the 15th for extensions and phone calls. I finished all my work by one o'clock yesterday. Today is catch up day. Laundry. Grover shopping. House cleaning. Then tonight to celebrate the end of tax season I am taking my Mom, my sister, and my brother-in-law all out to Claim Jumpers. What are you doing today?

Are you going to partake in any of the free stuff being handed out by companies today?

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/04/15/income-tax-day-freebies-to-ease-the-april-15-pain/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl6|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F04%2F15%2Fincome-tax-day-freebies-to-ease-the-april-15-pain%2F

In the honor of celebrating creative tax returns are you going to do anything creative like the following young woman did?

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/04/13/gum-wrappers-prom-dress/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2F2010%2F04%2F13%2Fgum-wrappers-prom-dress%2F

Are are you going to be working frantically to get your tax return done and then stand in long lines are the post office? To help you out you might want to consider an extension. Here is the form you can print, fill out, and then send to the IRS. Just remember if you owe tax this is an extensiion of time to file not an extension of time to pay. Estimate the amount you will owe and send a payment with the form. Remember the worst thing you can do is nothing. If you owe taxes and can't afford to pay the tax file anyway. File without payment. Then you won't be charged with a non-filing penalty that can be up to fifty percent of the tax you owe. That is not a misprint. It can be fifty percent of the tax you. Doing something is alway better than doing nothing. Here is the printable extension form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Hope your day isn't to taxing.

9 comments:

Lady DR said...

Fortunately, I got my returns e-filed a couple weeks ago, so no panic here. Interesting -- a letter from the IRS yesterday saying I'd miscalculated three items (Retiree Payments, Make Work Pay and EIC), they'd corrected them and would be sending us a refund. I'm totally confused, but who am I to argue?

Not taking advantage of any of the special free stuff (because I just now found out about it).

Kudos to the gal who made her dress from gum wrappers! This lady will go far. Very creative and, if the picture is an indication, very attractive.

The only "taxing" part of the day was arriving at the PAC and discovering the warm PT pool was closed - a leak developed last night, no one was monitoring, apparently, so they're fixing, refilling, etc. With a lot of luck, it'll be open tomorrow, but no one is holding their breath. Meantime, I tolerated 30 minutes of walking in the icy lap pool, making darned sure the shoulder didn't get below water.

Hope you had a lovely catch-up day and a delightful dinner with your family. Looking forward to hearing about your "new life." (g)

Pat said...

Congratulations on surviving another tax season, Bill! No panic here, as it was all done a month ago.

I've been reading but not commenting for a couple of days because I'm down with a bug that's going around. Spending too much time coughing and blowing my nose to comment much.

Lady DR said...

Pat, get well, soon, please

William J. said...

Hi DR

The Making Work Pay credit is the number one mistake this year for people doing their own tax return. Yesterday in the newspaper they mentioned the figure twenty million returns had some kind of mistake on them. The most common being not report the $250 people on Social Security got last year on the form. The other two credits are also often miscalculated and some of the software that individuals use don't calculate them properly.

I loved the gum wrapper dress! I think there me be a designing career in her future.

Ouch on the pool being closed.

The dinner at Claim Jumpers was great. That is the second time we've been their and each time it was great. The waitresses have been marvelous. And under the junior and senior claim jumper dinner, the have a chicken dinner to die for. Only $7.99. You get two chicken breasts, two choices for sides (we had steamed veggies and steak fries) and a nice apple with it. You can't eat it all. I have dinner for today!

The new life starts Mondayw when I join the Y.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

GET wELL!!

Several of the Trailblazers came down with a virus after they had a game in LA. Wonder it there is a virus going on down ther.

I've missed your comments!

Bill

Mary said...

You get to relax on April 15? I'm jealous! My office was a madhouse, I did 15 returns that day, 20 on the 14th. Today is my day. I got a manicure and pedicure, and am now heading to bed early. Happy sigh.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

It is insane to work that hard on 4-15, the stress of trying to get the returns done on that day just creates to much risk for error.

When I had my practice I always closed at noon on 4-15. The only reason I opened at all was for extensions and pickups.

I am glad you survived tax season! And I hope you take more than oen day off!

Bill

Mary said...

I have to tell you, one of my most memorable moments from this whole tax season. There is this couple that always comes in about 10 on April 15. They have a small business, so it's a pain, but their person always gets them done. We stay open until midnight for them.

This year, the new manager said we're closing at 10. The woman got there at 9, was told, we're closing at 10. She went home to get her papers and husband, and came back at 10 to find the door locked. They stood out there on the sidewalk, clutching this huge box of papers, and wouldn't leave. The manager offered them an extension, and they wouldn't take it. They stayed out there for about 15 minutes. It was quite hilarious.

Maybe next year they'll come in a few hours earlier, but I kind of doubt it. Just think of all the fun stories I'd miss out on if we closed at noon!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

See that story is the perfect reason why I close at noon on April 15. Nobody comes to my office at ten on April 15 expecting to get their taxes done. If I was at the office I would have been obligated by CPA ethics to file an extension for them whether they wanted on or not.

People that called my office after noon got instructions how to pickup extensions and I always placed some extensions outside the door.

Then the ones that called my office on the 16th were greeted with a laugh box.

Bill