Monday, April 26, 2010

Hoarding

I am not really a hoarder. I just think that some day I might need my third grade report card or my sports letters. And the electric football, baseball, basketball games are collectors' items just like my Lionel Electric Train. Certainly I need all those greeting cards I've received over the years. It will remind who to remember when I win the lottery. My Dodger coffee mugs from every year they won the championship? They have to be worth as much as the year books from those years which I also have.

My take on it is that I am not a hoarder because I don't collect things. I'm just a loyal dude that doesn't like to throw things out. How about you? Do you hoard? Do you or your spouse keep things long past their useful life? Do you classify yourself as a hoarder? According to the following article if you hoard it could be dangerous or harmful. Do you agree?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100426/us_time/08599198444400

Today's Who Am I features another woman in history. Email answers to either billdahn@aol.con or williamjdahn@aol.com

I was born in Wisconsin in 1859 and died in New York in 1947, I was the second of three children born to Lucius and Maria. I attended elementary education in a one-room schoolhouse. In 1877, I graduated from high school. My father refused to provide the money for more education so I taught school for a year, earning enough income to enter a State Agricultural College. I supported myself working in the state library and the college kitchen. I graduated in 1880 – the only woman among 18 graduates. I aspired to become a lawyer so I began reading law in an attorney’s office. The next year, I began teaching high school with the intent of earning enough money to study law at the university. However, I found I enjoyed teaching so much that I gave up the idea of becoming a lawyer. Less than two years later, I was appointed principal and superintendent of schools.

When I was 13 years old, I asked why my mother was not getting dressed up to go to town to vote like my father. My sincere question was met with laughter and the reason that voting was too important a civic duty to leave to women. On February 12 1885, I married Leo, an editor of the local newspaper and resigned from teaching (as married women were not allowed to teach). I became his business partner, writing a “Woman’s World” column but not about food or fashion, rather about women’s political and labor issues, and reminding women that if they wanted the vote, they needed to organize. Leo harshly criticized a local Republican candidate in the paper and was sued for libel forcing him to sell the newspaper. He went to San Francisco to find work where he caught typhoid fever. I received a telegram about him and left immediately by train, but he died before I arrived. I was a 27 year-old widow left with no house or financial resources. I decided to stay in San Francisco, finding work as a freelance journalist. I was barely making ends meet when one evening a male associate grabbed me and began kissing me. I managed to break away, but the assault left me feeling frightened and outraged and determined to do something about the vulnerability of working women. I become a public lecturer. After hiring an agent in 1887, I returned to the Midwest and began my work for suffrage. I joined the state branch of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, becoming head of its suffrage section. As that local group began breaking apart, I began organizing women and creating suffrage clubs. In 1889, I was elected secretary of the state Woman Suffrage Association and the next year a delegate and minor speaker at the convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA) in Washington, D.C. On June 10, 1890 I remarried in Seattle, Washington. I replaced Susan B. Anthony as a president of a suffrage organization in 1900. I am known for the famous quote: “The world taught women nothing skillful and then said her work was valueless. It permitted her no opinions and said she did not know how to think. It forbade her to speak in public and said the sex had no orators. It denied her the schools, and said the sex had no genius. It robbed her of every vestige of responsibility, and then called her weak. It taught her that every pleasure must come as a favor from men and when, to gain it, she decked herself in paint and fine feathers, as she had been taught to do, it called her vain.” In 1918 I established a famous league that still is a force in U.S. politics. In 1933 I helped establish the Protest Committee of Non-Jewish Women Against the Persecution of Jews in Germany. We obtained thousands of signatures to a letter protesting the crimes against the Jews. I lobbied Congress to amend the U.S. immigration laws to help Jews and other refugees escape. That same year, honoring my work, I received the American Hebrew Medal – the first woman to do so. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not a real hoarder, in the sense that you can walk through my house without dodging debris most of the time. Heck, I even got a wheelchair through the house for a while there. But I do keep too many things, and often tell myself "Just throw it out or give it away," and then I don't do it.

No more jury service. I got sprung 15 minutes before they closed for the day. For a while there, it looked like both sides liked me, but in the end I got booted, along with about 50 other people. I guess they'll bring in 50 more prospective jurors tomorrow, poor things. Picky, picky!

Lady DR said...

I'm in the same category as Pat - not a real hoarder, but keeping things I know should go away. Unfortunately, my husband is much the same, maybe a bit more. Clutter drives me nuts, so I'm constantly finding ways to "store" some of the things I hoard. I did finally pitch the yearbooks. Most of the cards. The pictures that were so out of focus, one didn't what they were or they were of people I didn't even know/remember. Still, we've way too much stuff and simplifying and decluttering is a constant challenge and process for me.

One of my aunts was a true hoarder, to the point where her house was literally unsafe, from health, fire and safety hazards. She wouldn't let anyone past the front door in her last years, but even prior to that, we knew. She had newspapers stacked almost shoulder high, with narrow aisles to the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. Why to the bedroom, we don't know, because it was so filled and the bed so covered with papers and other stuff, she always slept in the recliner in the living room. Her basement was full, with a narrow path through the middle. She had hundreds of dollars of tupperware, still in the plastic wrapping. No one realized how bad it was, until she passed and her son and s-i-l had to go through the house. They literally had to haul the kitchen appliances to the curb to be carted away and, as I recall, all the carpets had to be pulled, subflooring replaced and wallpaper taken down, because of the mildew from all the old, damp papers, from letters to newsprint. And this woman had severe respiratory problems!

Pat, good job on taking a miss on jury duty! Selfishly, I'm much relieved, for your sake.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

YEA on jury duty! I don't think the attorneys would want anyone with a relative in a facility on the jury and my guess is that is the reason you skated!

I start to throw things away then just can't

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

It sounds like all of us fit the same category. You got rid of your yearbooks! Shame.

You aunt would scare me simply because I would be worried sick that something bad would happen.

Bill