Saturday, April 24, 2010

Up, Up, Up, & Away

The rumor has that one new reader of the blog isn't sure how to get to the stories mentioned on the blog. A link takes you directly to the article. Links show up in a different color than the rest of the blog entry. Just click on a link with your mouse, that will take you to the sotry.

The good story of the week:

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/04/23/hero-german-shepherd-leads-help-to-a-fire/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2010%2F04%2F23%2Fhero-german-shepherd-leads-help-to-a-fire%2F

On to another subject. Imagine being stuck in traffic plodding along when you put your car in gear and it rises above the traffic and flies over it. Unrealistic? Not according to the following article:

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2010/4/22/the_flying_car_could_arrive_by.htm

We could be in flying cars by 2015. Do you agree with the article? Would you buy one? I am going to be first in line to buy one.

Today's Who Am I is courtesy of Connie.

When I was thirty years old I was living among the Naga Tribes for nearly five years when World War II reached my corner of the world in 1942. Until then I had been studying the native people as an anthropologist. Malaya, Singapore and Burma had fallen to the Japanese army in the worst defeat in the history of the British Empire. British and Indian troops had been forced into a horrific retreat across the Burmese border, through the Naga Hills into Eastern India. Rumours were rife that the Japanese would push across the border and break through the gateway of India. If India fell, the British war in the East - and the Empire itself - would be finished. Where along the long border would the Japanese come through? It was imperative that the British receive the earliest possible intelligence of such an offensive. Accordingly, a special guerilla troop called V Force was set up to patrol the Naga Hills both sides of the border. Native tribesmen, led by British officers, were recruited to patrol the impenetrable jungle and provide early warning of a Japanese invasion. I was an early, if unlikely, recruit to this cause. I had first visited India in 1937 with a school friend, on a trip where my mother had hoped she would meet a nice husband. Instead, she fell in love with the Naga Hills and their tribes. The Nagas were fiercely independent - they occasionally rebelled against British rule - and merciless to their enemies. Those who had claimed an enemy head in battle wore their victim's hair in tufts on their shields and earrings. They were also deeply moral and loyal. As well as studying the tribe, I dispensed medicines to them, and they took me into their hearts. They asked me to name their babies, and some even worshipped me as a goddess, believing me to be the reincarnation of a rebel priestess imprisoned by the British. When famine struck the villagers in the years before the war, I procured them government aid, saving many lives. Because of the loyalty I commanded among the Nagas, in August 1942 the head of V Force asked me to form the local Nagas into a band of scouts to comb the jungle for the Japanese. I became the only female guerilla commander in the history of the British Army, leading 150 Nagas armed only with ancient muzzle-loading guns across some 800 square miles of mountainous jungle. My story is one of the most extraordinary of World War II, however, like that of so many of the brave veterans of the war in the East, my heroism has faded from the pages of history. A new book tells my incredible tale and tells of the campaign in which she paid a crucial role: the Japanese offensive into India, and the savage battle of Kohima on which the fate of two empires turned. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Great dog! I do always wonder if such things are intentional, but hey, he deserves a medal either way.

Flying cars? Shoot, we were supposed to have those in the 90's. I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to have one, but at $55 million, I'd say they'll be a little overpriced for me, and will not get into my range in my lifetime. Too bad about that.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also wonder it it is intended but there are so many instances of this type of thing it gives me pause.

When they get to mass producing the flying cars the price will come down!

Bill

cd0103 said...

Yay! I just loved the story behind this "Who Am I". Amazing woman.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

That is the general consensus in email, amazing story!

Thank you for your contribution of it!

Bill