Friday, October 1, 2010

Another Fun Friday.

We need a break from serious subjects so today we are having our second consecutive Fun Friday.

There really is nothing more fun than not letting a valet park you car. According to the following article we will no longer have to worry when that valet squeals away from the curb:

http://www.switched.com/2010/09/29/robotic-garage-eliminates-parking-and-subsequent-aimless-wanderi/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk1%7C174156

Fairy tails are always fun. One of my favorite fairy tales was Goldilocks & The Three Bears. The following article states that while Goldilocks may be out of this world she is also down to earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100930/ap_on_sc/us_sci_new_earths;_ylt=AlIEwN1sCVI_5388CRXxrbSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsdWhocTc1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwOTMwL3VzX3NjaV9uZXdfZWFydGhzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOARwb3MDNQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2NvdWxkZ29sZGlsbw--

I don't really know whether to laugh or cry at the following story. Certainly it wouldn't have been boring to be in this judge's courtroom.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/sep/27/complaint-details-allegations-misconduct-against-j/

Your comments are always appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1921 and died in 1992. I am most known for my writing. I was born in America the daughter of immigrants. After my early graduation from high school I went to the University of California. During my senior year in college Pearl Harbor was attacked. Soon after all those on the West Coast of my nationality were rounded up and imprisoned in internment camps. Thousands, regardless of their U.S. citizenship, lost their homes, property, jobs, civil liberties and human dignity. My family was not spared. We were interned for three years, first at a racetrack in Califirnia and then in Utah. In the camps, I taught school and had the chance to view not only the injustices which the Americans were perpetrating, but the varying reactions of Japanese Americans towards their ill-treatment. In 1943 I was accepted to graduate school at Smith College in Massachusetts and allowed to leave the camp. Over the course of my career I published more than thirty books, including nonfiction for adults and fiction for children and teenagers. I became widely known for my autobiography. I am quoted about my writing, "I try to stress the positive aspects of life that I want children to value and cherish. I hope they can be caring human beings who don't think in terms of labels--foreigners or Asians or whatever--but think of people as human beings. If that comes across, then I've accomplished my purpose." I was a PICTURE BRIDE and had A JAR OF DREAMS. If you still don't know who I am, I can loan you my BRACELET. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Interesting stories. NOt sure I'd trust a robot parking system any more than valet parking, to be honest.

As the new planet... is there life out there? Will we know in our lifetime? And has anyone really considered exactly what it might mean, if there are other civilizations living parallel to ours, beyond sci-fi writers?

Interesting about the judge. Does sound like she's pushed the envelope a time or two. Then again, as you say, her courtroom doesn't sound boring and she did make a couple good points.

Pat said...

Well, pooh! The automated garage sounds great, but I expected it to also return your car to you automatically. They give you a MAP? That would be okay for me--I like maps, but I know people who couldn't read a map to save their lives. I sure like the idea of doing away with those valet parkers.

So cool about the new planet! I've heard before, within the last couple of years in fact, about possible life-capable planets. Didn't know they'd more or less fizzled, but this one still seems possible. It may still be in the paramecium stage, but hey, life is life. We took a long time, too. I'd so love for them to find real signs of life somewhere else.

As to the judge, I'll agree that sometimes humor in a courtroom is a welcome relief, but I'll also agree it shouldn't be at the expense of other persons in the courtroom. From the examples given, if the judge wants to be a standup comic or a tv star, I'd recommend she tone it down and try to keep her day job.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I had the same reaction to the robot parking as you did.

My mom asked the question of their was life on another planet if it would change our religious beliefs. Interesting question but with no real answer. Unless we found out we were created by them.

I think the judge crossed the line when she mocked the defense attorney. That behavior could influence a jury and result in a not so fair trial for the defendant.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think they are handing out maps because they want to keep men off of the streets. We are going to be lost in the garage of the rest of our lives if we have to read a map.
I like you idea of it automatically returning the car too.

This one does seem possible. Possible at the same time we are shutting down NASA so that we can't try to visit there.

I completely agree with your assesment of the judge. I think a judge behavior crosses the line when her actions could influence the jury and hers could have.

Bill