Thursday, October 14, 2010

You & Your Little Red Wagon.

May Theilgaard Watts was the answer to yesterday's Who Am I. I really haven't got much to write about today. Things are happening fast here. My nephew who has been staying with Mom three nights one week and four nights another week took a job in his hometown. He lives about two hours from here and this really is best for him. He can spend more time with his wife and children. We are very happy to have had him as long as we have but we also want what is best for him. We will survive. At the same time the caregiver that quit and then decided to come back for the next two weeks is considering staying on for good. There really was a misunderstanding between her and a nameless someone amongst us. The caregiver was told she couldn't talk about some things which I think hurt her and lead to her quitting. We are in the midst of getting that solved. If she stays on four nights a week then we have to cover the other three nights. I can do one, sister can do one, and Mom can stay alone one night. That shouldn't be to difficult for any of us.

We haven't had a good story for a while. Here is one for today:

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/10/12/high-school-football-player-in-wheelchair-scores-touchdown/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk1%7C177314

I wouldn't call the next story a good story but I kind of think it is a fun story. I had a little red wagon growing up, didn't you? I always appreciate adults having fun and staying young:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_red_wagon_for_adults;_ylt=AvzKtih7feJhXtys2sc_7zus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNydTVhMDZrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAxMDEyL3VzX3JlZF93YWdvbl9mb3JfYWR1bHRzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOQRwb3MDNgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2FsYXNrYWNvdXBsZQ--

Do you love the car? I think I do. I'm betting when they are out driving around they get more than few people asking about the car. I think they should loan it to a charity that could use it in fundraising events.

Next up is an interesting article but I find it a little troubling:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101013/ap_on_he_me/us_school_lunches

It just seems wrong to me to fool kids into eating healthy.

Any comments you have about anything written on the blog or any article posted on the blog are always appreciated! Off to Mom's for the day.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I hope you get your caregiver problems worked out, Bill. It's kind of a neverending struggle, but I'm glad for your nephew if it's the right thing for him and his own family.

As to the wheelchair football player, I wonder if his coach watches GLEE, where the kid in the wheelchair is, I believe, now on the football team with one of the other characters pushing him.

I did have a little red wagon growing up. I can't say I actually miss it, but I do have fond memories of it. The Radio Flyer pickup is very cute, and I'm sure it often stops traffic. And imagine, it's in Wasilla! Taking a little thunder away from Sarah Palin. Is she grateful? Probably not. I hope the Radio Flyer company is grateful.

I don't object to fooling kids into more healthy choices. And it doesn't sound like they're fooling anyone; they're just using some psychology like the markets do when they put candy and junk at the checkout counters. I love the idea of do-it-yourself wraps.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is a neverending struggle but we will get it worked out. I'm pretty sure it is the best for my nephew.

I never knew that about Glee, interesting.

It came out in today's paper that Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin are related to President Obama. And yu are right that is a lot of free advertising for Radio Flyer.

Maybe some restaurants should offer do it yourself wraps!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Glad your nephew will be closer to his family, but I know you've really appreciated his help and support. Sure hope you can get the caregiver thing worked out soonest and get back to a routine that allows you to plan time for yourself and know you'll get it.

Loved the football story and the video and the comment that sportsmanship is becoming more important in high school sports. Neat the team was happy to let Dylan score and also neat the opponents presented him with a signed game ball.

Yeah, I remember the red wagons. Leave it to someone in AK to modify a truck into a wagon (g). One of the fun things about going to the spring and fall plant shows at the Farmer's Mkt here is that they supply you with red flyer wagons to fill with your plant purchases. All these adults, pulling their little wagons around, filling them with flowering goodies.

I'm with Pat on getting kids to eat healthier, given the obesity issues we've got in this country. I don't think they're "fooling" the kids, at least not the older ones, but I'm all for making the healthy choices more obvious, more attractive and more accessible, while kinda burying the bad ones. I think it's human nature to reach for what's easiest to get, closest, quickest and if that's a salad or a sub or some veggies, rather than ice cream or hamburgers or high fat items, all the better. If they get in the habit of reaching for those items at a young age, hopefully it'll carry on as they get older. I remember, after Himself had the heart attack, one of the things I did, before he came home from the hospital, was get rid of high fat foods, snacky items and the like. If it's ("bad" food) not in the refrig or on the shelf, you look for something else.

Off the subject a bit, I also read the inserted piece about grocery stores and was delighted to see "my" standard grocery doesn't do any of that stuff. They're big on buy-one-get-one-free, which is an obvious savings, and their specials tell you just how much you're saving on discounted items, so you know it's only ten cents or so. They also push their store brands and generics and the shelf sticker tells you the price per ounce/lb/ whatever, so you can compare. Sometimes, the special is less than the store brand, sometimes more. A real advantage is they have a website which posts the weekly specials and comparisons every Weds AM, so I can shop with a list, which is my saving grace and severely reduces impulse buys.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sis took off for Utah to get her daugter ready to head off to Texas so I was at Mom's until late last night, therefore the delay in responding.

Sportsmanship definitely should become so common that we no long celebrate it because it is expected.

I was kind of surprised it was Alaska because it didn't have a top and it made me wonder if they could only drive it in the summer. I would love it if the would give red wagons to everyone at Saturday Market here.

I like that you look at as not fooling the kids but making the healthier choices more obvious.

Himself is lucky to have you watching out for him when you do your shopping. I am more aware than ever about the fat content in things.

You always impress me with your curiousity. Whether it be the who am I or the side articles. I find that encouraging and helpful.

My store is also big on bogo's. They also have price per ounce which I pay attention to. If it is an item that spoils it is often cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive item.

I'm not at the list place yet but I am getting there.

Bill