Monday, October 18, 2010

The Good.

It was sure nice to see Dona, Symply, & Mary Z check in with us yesterday. We are like family here and when any member of the family disappears for a while we miss you. If you haven't posted for a long time please do so anytime, any day, and on any thread.

Today we are all about the Good. First up is the good woman:

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2010/10/after_hair_stylist_becomes_sus.html

Next up are good teens at work:

http://www.oregonlive.com/tualatin/index.ssf/2010/10/tualatin_high_school_teens_grant_wishes_with_5k_race.html

Now on to good trends in the military:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101016/ts_alt_afp/usmilitarywomenuniform;_ylt=AmRTASrm1adcvwW.Q9vPo3Ss0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpOXVpc2htBHBvcwMzOQRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDZmluYWxseXVzYXJt

Your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1939 and died in 2008. I was an Australian ecofeminist intellectual and activist, who was prominent in the development of radical ecosophy. I was active in movements to preserve biodiversity, halt deforestation and helped to establish the trans-discipline known as ecological humanities. I married a philosopher and separated from him later. At the time of my death I was Australian Research Council Fellow at the Australian National University, and in the past had held positions at North Carolina State University, the University of Montana, and the University of Sydney. I was found dead a day after I died from what was originally thought to be from snakebite or spider bite but my death was from natural causes. In my writings I identified the human/nature dualism as part of a series of problematic, gendered dualisms, including "human/animal, mind/body... male/female, reason/emotion, and civilized/primitive." I argued for abandoning these dualisms, and correspondingly the traditional Western notion of a rational, unitary, Cartesian self, in favor of an ecological ethic based on empathy for others. From a near death experience that had me crawling two miles away from a crocodile I gained a perspective that humans are part of the food chain as well, and that our culture's human-centric view is disconnected from the reality that we too are food for animals. If you aren't sure who I am maybe you should be PREY TO A CROCODILE. Or maybe you should see the connection between FEMINISM AND THE MASTERY OF NATURE. That should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

The hair product story makes me gladder than usual that I don't patronize such places. $250 to $350 for a treatment that doses you with formaldehyde? Gee, I think not, thanks anyway.

The women's uniforms should be interesting, as even civilian clothes for women don't really fit all of us properly. A good fit often requires a search and even then, some alteration. So good luck to them. I hope it works for most.

Lady DR said...

Yes, I was so glad to see a "hey" from some of our regulars. Dona, sorry to hear about the Shankster. For some reason, you two have been in my thoughts during morning prayer time. Hope he recovers soon. Good to see Mary Z, the message from Symply isn't showing for me, for some reason, but glad to know all is well.

Geez, now I know why I don't get anything more than a monthly trim at Great Clips! I can't imagine paying the prices mentioned, but the fact that the chemical is hanging in the air is scary. Good for the gal following her instincts and raising the issues.

Loved the story on the teens. There are some great kids out there and I'm always pleased to hear about them.

I'd honestly not thought about our female military being in unisex combat gear that was bulky and uncomfortable. Probably because they never complained publicly. Heck, if I was in a life-threatening situation, I'd sure as heck want to know I could move comfortably within my uniform or battle fatigues! All of our military personnel need all the advantages they can get.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The cost shocked me too since I pay twenty bucks and there isn't any formaldehyde.

I'm looking forward to how the clothes for women in the military work. Maybe they will have a seemstress assigned to women in the military to alter them. But it is going to be better than what they have now no matter what.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Google isn't cooperating for me today, this is the second time I posted this message due to "server to busy."

Symply didn't post on yesterday's post, she posted on 10-15 on the Kickback Day thread so you have to go there to see her post. That was the day the article about waiting for repair men was posted. For a college projected she created a company called "Timesavers" to help you wait.

Naomi sends me an email once in a while and sent me a story that I keep forgetting to post but will post in the next couple of days.

I also hear from Connie once in a while. She is busy with work and charity work but is doing fine.

I always thought Great Clips was supposed to be the "cheap" salon.

The teen gals did more than a high school project they did a life project. Very proud of them.

I hadn't given an once of thought to clothes for women in the military, guess I just assumed they already had clothes for them.
Anything to make our military more comfortable is fine with me.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I posted a reply, but forgot to save it, as I usually do, and now the site says it was too big and didn't post, so you'll have to live without my words of wisdom. And it wasn't all that long, but I'm grumpy enough to not reconstruct.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sorry you had trouble I would have loved to have read what you said!

I always compose my messages in my word processor, then I cut and paste.

I also do that with daily posts.

Bill