Friday, October 15, 2010

Kickback Day

Friday is a day to kickback and relax. A day for inspiring and fun stories. The Chilean miners story was one of the most inspirational stories in history. So many facets of the miner's story was inspiring. There is so much we can learn by how the miners survived. One of the most inspirational parts of the miners' story from my perspective is how well they worked together. They united and bonded. They didn't complain or become divided. Instead they put what was best for the group ahead of what was best for themselves. Can we hope that the folks in Washington D.C. will learn from them?

In honor of the miners lets start the day with another inspirational story:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/15/20101015grand-canyon-hike-by-blind-hikers.html

Next is a little bit of an advise story. If you are going to rob Wal-Mart and don't want to go to jail right away then rob it when you are nine months pregnant.:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/10/13/woman-robs-walmart-while-in-labor/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C177604

Since the previous story kind of shuts me out, the next story is pretty inclusive. I certainly felt better knowing I wasn't the only one that spent a billion hours on a day or two waiting for the repair guy:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_16343914

Your comments are appreciated. May this be the start of a great weekend for you!

TODAY'S WHO AM I?

I was born in 1951 and even Bill and Pat have heard of me. I received a BA in English and a Masters and PHD in physics from Stanford. I was the eldest child of parents with Norwegian ancestry. One of my sisters is a Presbyterian minister. I attended Portola Middle School and Westlake School for Girls on a scholarship. In addition to being interested in science I was a nationally ranked tennis player. Before Stanford I attended Swarthmore College. I was one of 8,000 people to answer an advertisement in a newspaper seeking applicants for a special program. As a result I joined the program. During my career I served as an on the ground communicator. I helped develop the robot arm. I would later be the first American woman to be on a crew that accomplished an amazing feat, I was preceded in being out of this world by two Soviet women. I was the first woman to use the robot arm that I developed but I didn't use it on the ground. I married a man that has been in outer space but divorced him after five years. When I left this special program I became a professor of physics at the University of California San Diego and Director of the California Space Institute. I'm currently the President and CEO of a science company that I founded that creates entertaining science programs and publications for upper elementary and middle school students with a particular focus on girls. I have written or co-written five books aimed at children with the goal of encouraging children to study science. I have received many awards including the Theodore Roosevelt Award. I have been inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame. I have twice been awarded a special flight medal. I am the only person to serve on both of the panels investigating Shuttle accidents. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and First Lady Maria Shriver inducted me into the California Hall of Fame. Who Am I?

12 comments:

Pat said...

The miners' story has certainly captured the world's attention. And how wonderful it was that every one of them was rescued. Will DC learn cooperation from the story? Not bloody likely.

Nice story about the hikers, which I didn't read all the way through due to time constraints, and funny about the pregnant thief at Walmart. I feel sorry for the baby!

I've been pretty lucky about waiting for repairmen. My plumber is usually early, and all others have managed to get here within the window allowed. So far. I'd be furious if one didn't show up and didn't call, and if I was able, I'd cross that company off the list and go with someone else.

Lady DR said...

I think everyone can learn from the miners, although I've not made the time to read as many articles as I'd like. DC learn from them? If you're holding your breath, I hope you look good in blue.

What a story about the blind group doing the Grand Canyon! Talk about courage. It's also a great lesson in trust, as they had to trust their guides and companions to keep them on the trail.

The pregnant thief? I worry about the baby and what kind of future it may have. Mom and Auntie just don't strike me as great roll models.

Since we both now work at home, waiting is as much a hassle as it used to be, although missed pickups for ms or radios means having to explain to clients why our shipment isn't going to arrive as scheduled. However, I well recall the days of waiting around for a repairman, when I was working away from home or when I was the only one home and had other commitments. On the one hand, I understand having to give a "window," in the event a previously scheduled app't is more complicated and time consuming than anticipated. OTOH, if you build in that factor, you should still be able to be on time, inside a maximum window of two hours, or be early and delight the customer. Equally important, as soon as the service person knows he/she is going to be late, a call to the next customer, giving them a new arrival time and the option to reschedule is just plain courtesy. Companies need to know the best advertising is positive word-of-mouth recommendations and worst thing for business is "Don't ever use (whomever)." You can spend millions on advertising to no avail, if you're getting no recommendations or lousy reviews from one person to another.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Not only everyone of the miners got rescued but the rescue workers also got out unscathed. I just wish some senator would get up on the floor in the Halls Of Congress and says "see what happens when you work together?"

I also feel sorry for the baby.

Some companies have a monopoly here like Cable companies and it is pretty hard to wipe them off the list.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

You are right. Everyone can learn from the miners. I do look good in blue! It is my color.

The trust of the blind group had not only in themselves but in each other.

I would think that the baby would be put in a foster home and then adopted. Which would be better than the role model the baby currently has.

I've had missed pickups too and it is lamb when you try to explain it to a client and blame it on the delivery service.

A window of two hours would be acceptable. The company should be staffed well enough that if the original team couldn't make it that there would be someone to fill in.

I built up two businesses by never advertising just by "word of mouth"
it is the cheapest and the best form of advertising.

Bill

Lady DR said...

For my type of work, I need to advertise to a niche market. However, the "recommended" status on Preditors & Editors, which is based partially on client results, has gotten me at least as much business as just the regular paid ads.

Himself has a website, but the bulk of his business comes from satisfied clients who comment on the hamnets on the work he's done for them and the fact that a radio with the sticker "reburbished by K4ICL" sells for a lot more than others.

Mary said...

I know! There's a big empty hole in the ground in Chile right now. How about we dump the entire federal government in it, and leave them there until they can play nice and pass a budget (and finalize tax law, for heavens sake?)

I feel very sorry for the baby. Mom will keep it, and it will grow up to be just like her. The article didn't say how old Mom is, but I bet she's 18.

William J. said...

Hi DR

If I had it to do over again I would probably advertise. When I started out accountants, doctors, and attorneys couldn't advertise, it was against their code of ethics. The thinking was that you were to attract business on your skills and repuatation not on commercials that could me interpeted as making false claims.

Himself getting business based on his skills and repuation doesn't surprise me one bit. Nor does it surprise me that you get business from referrals.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I'm with you are dumping the whole congress in the whole in Chili and not letting them come out until they learn to play nice and together. No cookies and milk for them.

I'm also betting the mom is very young. What a future to look forward to. But maybe the Mom will get help and change her ways and become both a better mom and a contributing member of society.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm all in favor of dumping our guys in the hole and not letting them up until they learn to work together, Mary. Maybe we could start a referendum. Nothing else seems to be working.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am not opposed to starting a movement to put all politicians underground until they learn to put individual needs behind the needs of the country.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

Hi Bill,
I was reading about your article on time and waiting for repair people. Funny that you should post that. One of my projects in my last class was to create an idea for a new company and prepare a strategic management plan (I got an A!). My company was called TimeSavers, Inc. and it was about operating a small concierge company locally. I guess it's not that bad of an idea really, according to the information from that article. : )

I hope you have been well. I have five more classes to go and then I graduate. Each one is getting down to the crunch and becoming harder. I'm in a finance class now with assignments EVERY week...UGH!

Just thought I would pop in and let you know I am alive and well but buried in school books still.

William J. said...

Hi Symply

It is good to see you here.

Congratulations on the A!!! It would be a great idea!

I've been well. Only five classes to go for you. Even that alone is one heck of an accomplishment. Graduating is going to feel so good for you and of course we are all proud of you.

Glad you popped in, keep us up to date, OK

Bill