Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crime & Bad Habits.

I wanted to thank DR for her contributions to yesterday's post. DR is an author and an editor and has researched, written, and edited books on panic attacks. How lucky we are to have such an expert amongst us. She has graciously offered to answer any questions any of you have about panic attacks. If you have questions you can either post them anywhere on the blog or email them to me at williamjdahn@aol.com and I will pass the questions on to her.

Tomorrow we may be talking about justice again but today we are talking about crime.

The following article lists the most dangerous neighborhood in America:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/04/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods-2010/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C175324

Leading the way were four in Las Vegas and four in Georgia. I was surprised there weren't any in California, Oregon or Washington. Does anything about the list surprise you?

The neighborhoods that had high crime rates should adopt the game plan mentioned in the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101005/od_nm/us_britain_surveillance_odd

Think you could win a prize solving a crime? I don't think I could but I'd give it a hell of a shot.

Bad habits aren't against the law but they sure are expensive. Check out the following article to see just how expensive:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/01/are-your-bad-habits-costing-you-a-financial-future/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%7C175324

If I quit drinking coffee, quite eating, and quit play the lottery I could save over four hundred thousand dollars. How much could you save?

That's all for the day. Thanks for you support yesterday, I feel so fortunate to have you all as friends! As always your comments and thoughs are appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1941 and went on to be on of the nine teenagers made famous on 9-25-1957. I was later suspended from high school for dumping my bowl of chili on a white boy who blocked my way in the cafeteria, and then late I was expelled for calling a girl “white trash” after the girl taunted me and hit me with her purse. As an adult I would continue to be an activist for minority rights. I lived in Canada for a number of years and was involved in First Nations activism and studying social work at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario. I received the Congressional Gold Medal, the Wolf Award, the Spingarn Medal, and many other citations and awards. I served for a time as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Department of the Interior responsible for diversity. I have been featured in a documentary and was played by Regina Taylor in one made for television movie and by Monica Calhoun in a Disney Channel Movie. If you don't know who I am by now remember there was a CRISIS AT CENTRAL and you will be HIGH enough to answer the question who am I? Ernest Green knows who I am and you should too.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I was surprised that no neighborhoods in LA were listed. Not that I think we're a seething hotbed of crime, but there are neighborhoods I'd be reluctant to visit. And maybe we get more publicity because we're so big and kind of noticeable.

I don't think volunteer CCTV watchers are a bad idea, assuming somebody will kick them off if they start reporting everybody as looking suspicious. I can't imagine doing it, though. Sounds a lot like watching paint dry.

I try not to think about how much my bad habits cost. Please don't remind me!

Mary Z said...

Well, I'm not going to give up coffee - but I don't go to Starbucks, etc. And I don't buy lottery tickets - we've always said that a lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged (sorry, Bill).

That news about Chattanooga being on the list was in our paper the other day and, of course, their data were questioned. I will say that that's not an area where I would care to be walking after dark. I've driven through it occasionally though, without any feeling of discomfort.

Lady DR said...

Interesting about the neighborhoods. Greenville is, I think, considered low crime, but there are areas I wouldn't go through after dark, even in our little town of TR, so I guess it's not surprising to find "high crime/high risk" neighborhoods almost anywhere. I suspect any town has them, if one looks closely enough at the stats.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the CCTV thing. On the one hand, it doesn't seem the city/county operated cameras are doing any good and I suspect that's because they aren't being watched and monitored, as mentioned. I hate to live in a world of Big Brother, but if people are willing to do the surveillance and do it honestly and carefully, it could be very beneficial. Just knowing neighborhoods were being monitored would be a deterrent to a lot of would-be criminals, yes?

As to bad habits... fortunately I have only one of those listed and it is expensive. However, my coffee is drunk at home and limited because caffeine is NOT a good thing for anxiety and I don' care for sodas, thank goodness. The lottery I used to play, but don't do any longer. Eating... our grocery budget is pretty reasonable, since I shop specials and coupons and we don't eat out that often. I could save around two grand a year, if I gave up my other bad habit. While that ought to serve as motivation, so far it hasn't worked.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was also surprised that some neighborhoods here weren't mentioned. Some of the worst neighborhoods from several years ago have been revitalized and are now safe and known for good restaurants.

In your area I don't think I'd feel safe in Compton, here I don't think I'd feel safe in the Llpyd aread.

That would be awful if the started reporting everyone just to make a hit and win a prize.

I promise not to mention your bad habits!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I'm not giving up coffee either and I prefer 7-11 coffee to Starbucks, better and cheaper.

Never be sorry for expressing an opinion but to me gambling is a form of entertainment, just like buying a ton of magazines or going to stage plays etc. Where gambling becomes for the mathematically challenged is when people that can't afford it put it ahead of their family.

There isn't many areas here I would want to be walking alone after dark. Except where I live, it is pretty safe.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think most of South Carolina would be considered low crime. I do agree with you that almost any town has areas to avoid.

I never thought about the Big Brother aspect of it until you mentioned it and now I am wondering about the lack of privacy. The other point you made about just knowing the areas were being monitored could stop crime right there. It has been proven with Neighborhood Watch groups, the one that have them have the least crimes.

I had most of the bad habits but like you I lower the cost of them with good shopping and coupons and doing things at home when I can.

Bill