Monday, October 25, 2010

Magic.

I thought it would be good to start out the week with magic. Here is a story about a lady that is bringin magic to other people by honoring her mother in the most unusual way.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/10/portland_woman.html

What if I told you that other parts of your body besides you mouth can taste, would that be magic? What if I told that lungs can taste and this could lead to better treatments for Asthma would that be magic?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101024/ap_on_sc/us_sci_bitter_lungs

How would like to go for a ride on a magical mushroom?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101022/od_nm/us_germany_hotel_odd

Your comments about anything and everything are appreciated. May this be a magical week for you.

WHO AM I

This week the Who Am I will be celebrating women authors. As a strong supporter of independent publishers and first time writers Friday will be a celebration both..

OUR FIRST AUTHOR

I was born in Iowa in 1947 and raised in Kansas graduating from the University of Kansas with a degree in Political Science. I would later do community service work on the south side of Chicago before returning there to work. I ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago; my dissertation was entitled "The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New England Before the Civil War." I also earned an MBA from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. I married a man that was a professor of physics at the University of Chicago. I had the same protagonist in all but two of my novels. The protagonist is a female private investigator whose eclectic personality defies easy categorization. She drinks Johnnie Walker Black Label, breaks into houses looking for clues, and can hold her own in a street fight, but also she pays attention to her clothes, sings opera along with the radio, and enjoys her sex life. I am credited with transforming the role and image of women in the crime novel. If you are not sure who I am you should go to GHOST COUNTRY or BLEEDING KANSAS. That will help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Wow, didn't expect to see you here. I posted comments to yesterday's post, which seems to be an ongoing communication exchange at the moment.

Love the story about the lady giving out the hundred dollar bills, mostly because she explains what's behind her actions and her mother's attitude and how she's recognizing ways in which she was repeating that and trying to change. It's a bit of synchronicity, given Simple Abundance is focusing on money in daily readings right now and the author points out that a sense of lack, even though not necessarily true, often creates a real lack or at least a sense of necessary deprivation. I say good for her and may try to find her blog, as I suspect it makes for interesting reading.

The news on the lung "tasting" and the bitter tastes opening up the lungs is wonderful news for asthma sufferers and also for the many people who are dealing with COPD, as a friend of mine is doing. I hope they pursue it and find consistent positive results, which would benefit so many people.

I'm going to pass on the magical mushroom, I think. While I'm all for enlightenment, I'm not sure that's quite how I want to achieve it (G).

Thanks for the great "who am I?" You started with one of my favorites.

Pat said...

Very interesting about the woman giving away $100 bills. If someone offered me one, I'd be totally flabbergasted and would think it some kind of scam. I do hope she chooses wisely, and wonder about her intention to give it to at least one person who doesn't deserve it.

Also interesting about the lungs "tasting" bitterness. It certainly sounds a promising avenue for research. I must suggest this to a resident where my mom lives who has breathing problems. Worth a shot, huh? Now what bitter substance should she try? Maybe citrus peel?

I'd probably skip riding on a mushroom. But hey, maybe not. I've never tried the "magic" ones, and this might be as close as I can get.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I did the blog entries through Wednesday yesterday and this morning befor I left for Mom's.

I also think you will like Wednesday's Who Am I and of Friday will introduce you to a new author.

I liked the $100 story to for the way she trying to break old habits but also for the impact it had the ones that received the hundred dollars. I liked the one instant where the four ladies were rude to her at first, that has to have been a good lesson for them.

I was stunned that lungs could taste which is why I shared the article. There are so many possibilites that could come with that knowledge.

I'm not riding the magical mushroom any day.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm sure I would be as skeptical as you if I was given a hundred dollars from a stranger. And if an elderly woman was giving it me I would feel I was taking advantage of her.

I am from the school of nothing ventured nothing gained so yes it is worth a shot to try something for the woman with breathing problems. Citrus peel would be perfect.

I'm skipping the mushroom ride too!

Bill