Sunday, October 3, 2010

Religion, Entertainment, & Your Updates

Since I've updated you most of the week on what I have been up to I will leave it up to you on whether or not you want to update me on your lives and just do regular blog entry combined with an entertainment update.

Getting the entertainment update out of the way first. Kicked off Dancing With The Stars was Michael Bolton. Terrible dancer but I still wanted him to stay on because I just don't like The Situation and wanted him to go. Cho and the Thug should go next. Rumors have stated that Sarah Palin, who was in the audience watching her daughter dance, had such a great time that she has told Dancing With The Stars producers that she wants to be on next season. The Amazing Race started last Sunday and I thought it was one of the best opening weeks ever for the show. The women doctors finished first and the movie business friends got eliminated. The Good Wife started last week and a phone call was hidden from the wife that could have changed the entire storyline. I have been trying to watch The Event but have had a hard time getting into it. I do like The Defenders.

Since this is Sunday I am going to share a couple of articles about religion today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101002/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_druids_recognized;_ylt=AgyURQwQwPLa36CbBQQ.dnWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpcDNwZ2lyBHBvcwMzNwRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDZHJ1aWRzcmVjb2du

Druids are now an official religion in England. I really didn't know what Druids were until I read the article. Do you agree with the decision to accept Druids as a religion? I'm not sure how I lean, I think I need more information before agreeing or disagreeing.

I was kind of surprised at the following article. It seems we really don't know much about religion. And who knows the most? Atheists and agnostics. You can read the article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re/us_rel_religious_literacy_poll

I took the quiz and got an embarrassing sixty percent. At the end of the article is a link to the quiz, take it if you want but if you take it you have to tell me your score. I told you mine, you tell me yours.

If the link in the article doesn't take you to the quiz then try the following link:

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

Questions and assignments for the day: Update me on your life, Share your thoughts about the entertainment world, =tell me how much you know about religion, and answer the question, should Druids be a religion?

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

I consider myself a non-religious nonbeliever. Sorry, Bill - I made 100%. 8^)

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Don't be sorry that mirrors the survey.

Bill

dona said...

Gee, MaryZ, I consider myself a religious believer and I only made 73%. Way to go MaryZ.

Pat said...

Good for you, Mary Z! And welcome to the ranks of non-religious nonbelievers who know more about religion than the believers. I wasn't surprised at the results they found. I took the test and got 93% with only one wrong. The one I missed was the nirvana one--wasn't sure if it was Hindu or Buddhist, and guessed wrong. I was only guessing on the last question, too, but I guessed right.

If Scientology can be a recognized religion, why not Druidism (Or as the article says, "Druidry"). Personally, I'm against all tax breaks for churches beyond the actual sanctuary, pastor's salary, and charitable works, but if any religion is recognized, why not all of them? Or maybe only the peaceful ones, but that's a pipedream. Are Wiccans next?

I watched most of Amazing Race last week, and found I'm not very interested this time. But it's the only thing on at 8 on Sunday, so will probably watch it on and off. Also not much interested in DWTS any more. There are better things to watch in that timeslot. I do tune in at the very end of the results show of DWTS just to see who's eliminated.

I'm still liking PROJECT RUNWAY, even though I always disagree with the judges, and I still like the cooking competition shows, except for the one that's all desserts. I haven't gotten into many of the new shows as of now, except EVENT. I watched two episodes of THE WHOLE TRUTH and find myself not very interested in that, either. But some of my faves are back, so I'll still probably watch too much TV.

Lady DR said...

I was familiar with the Druids,probably because historical fiction has long been a favorite genre. Like you, I don't have enough information, however, to lean one way or the other. If I remember correctly, while they don't worship a specific Supreme Being, they view Universe in the same light, believing it ties together all of nature, from trees to humans, as part of one entity, which must balance and co-exist.

I scored 93% on the religion quiz. I credit (again) my interest in history, plus my interest in and exploration of religious philosophies and, quite honestly, the eclectic nature of the manuscripts I edit and the years I spent ghostwriting Bob's historical materials, which went back to the Big Bang and were often heavy on religious history.

Quiet week. Work, pool, chiropractor, domestic duties. Picked up some kind of flu bug and spent a pretty icky last couple or three days, but tonight I think I'm crawling back towards the front burner. Food still holds no appeal and I'm draggy, but I think the worst of the aches are gone. Good Lord willing, I'll be up to most regular activities tomorrow and my poor dear Himself will get a real meal.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I'm a believer too and I did worse than anyone.

Bill

PS

Nice to see you.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I did good on Christianity, Mormonism, and Jewish but lost on the middle easter religions.

I'm actually opposed to tax breaks on churches also. Religions do have to pay tax on unrelated business income. For example, a church owns a brewery, they pay income tax on the brewary's profits. Any for profit business owned by a church does. Where they get their breaks on our property taxes and income specified as donations. I do away with the property tax exemptions and put a income tax on donations but at a low rate.

I don't like the desert show either. I'm having a lot of trouble with The Event. This six months ago, ten years ago, five years ago thing is driving me nuts and is extremlely hard to keep up with.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

They worship a higher power but not a specific one from what the article said.

Great job on the test. You out did us other beleivers, Dona & I. Having Bob as client, even though it was difficult at times, obviously resulted in you gaining a lot of knowledge.

Sorry about the flu bug. I got my shot this week. As soon as you get well maybe you should get the flu shot too? I'm praying that you get back to full health soon!

Bill

Mary said...

I got 93%, missing and guessing the same ones Pat did. I credit 16 years of Catholic education. I don't believe most of it, but I was required to take a ton of religion, and lots of it rolls into history, which I love, so I have taken fairly wide ranging classes.

I am with many of you on eliminating the special tax rules for churches and clergy. We have several clergy members who come into my office. Their W-2 numbers are very low, but they know exactly how to maneuver themselves into the max for Earned Income Credit. They answer all the questions correctly so we let them do it, but I know they're fudging, and it ticks me off.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Good score on the test. I took a religion class in college where if our religious beliefs allowed we had to attend three our four different denominations. But that has been so long ago that I've forgotten most of it and have pretty much concentrated on the church I attend beliefs.

The other thing that bothers me about the churches is that ministers can opt out of paying social security taxes and the later they can draw it. Bugs me a bit.

Bill