Saturday, October 9, 2010

You're Grumpy But You Still Look Nice.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Faith Ringgold. You can see her stunning quilts at the following link, just click on any title.

http://www.faithringgold.com/ringgold/collect.htm#public

Are you grumpy? If you are over fifty-two you are according to the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101008/od_nm/us_grumpy_odd

I'm having a hard time agreeing with the above article. At work the receptionist and I battled it out for the most cheerful person there. I'm over fifty-two and while I have my moments I'm not grumpy damn it. Are you grumpy?

If I wasn't grumpy the next article would make me grumpy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/ap_on_he_me/us_med_arthritis_toll

Back on my diet. I'm wondering how grumpy not eating is going to make me. Does anything about the article surprise you? I guess the link to obesity surprises me. I can't say for sure yet because I just need a little more time to digest the article.

Enough grumpiness now something that will make you happy. Compliments. You are all intelligent wonderful supportive posters and readers. Now I said that and sincerely meant it. The best part is it didn't cost you a cent. However, check out the following article:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/08/flattery-will-get-you-everywhere-and-now-you-can-pay-for-it/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec4_lnk1%7C176333

Five bucks a compliment. Pretty cheap. Well maybe not. What's next coupons for discounts on flattery? Would you use their service? I don't think I would unless there was just no other way to apologize for something dumb that I had the misfortune of doing.

That is it for the day. I'm waiting to hear if you are grumpy, are going to pay for compliments or are surprised at the relationship between arthritis and obesity.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

You do find some of the most interesting stuff, Bill!

Nope, don't consider myself grumpy. May have a down day on occasion, when I'm cranky, but for the most part, I'm pretty much a smiling. let's make this okay kind of gal and I'm well over 52. Plus, everyone in the SA line dance class is over 55 and I rarely find them grumpy, more often "up" and encouraging and happy.

Not surprised at the connection between the arthritis and obesity and overweight issues. The more weight you carry, the more the joints have to carry. Case is point is that if Mom lost her extra weight, not only would her diabetic numbers go down, she wouldn't be reliant on the walker and wheelchair, because even bad knees can support average weight with a lot less pain. I have a friend, and had two people in my aquacize class I can think of off the top of my head, who were told that unless they lose weight, there's no point in doing knee replacement surgery, because their weight will prevent proper healing of the knee joints. I Know losing weight is difficult, but obesity is more and more becoming an issue that's surpassing other bad habits, in terms of overall health, from arthritis to heart to diabetes.

Nope, don't want someone to buy me flattery. If you think I'm great, send me an email or take time to write a card or just tell me so in person or on the phone. An anonymous call just isn't going to get it for me. You can tell me yourself, in the same amount of time it takes you to set up the service. Anonymous flattery will get you nowhere, sorry.

Pat said...

I'm way over 52 and yes, I'm grumpy. But not in public. I can hardly remember a single joke, so my repertoire is extremely limited. I think I laugh a normal amount, though, depending on the company.

Interesting about the arthritis. I remember my SIL asking me if I had any, and I said no and he looked surprised. In fact, I think I do have a touch of it, as there's this odd bump on the first knuckle of my right little finger. But the finger works and only hurts if I sleep with it curled and under my pillow, which I try hard not to do. {g} The link with obesity doesn't surprise me at all. More work for those joints to do, I'd imagine. But I don't think it's the only thing, as athletes who overwork their joints get it, too.

Good grief! $5 for somebody to deliver me a 30 second "meaningful message" over the phone? Thanks but no thanks. I really wonder if things like this actually make money.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I don't consider you grumpy either and with rare exceptions most of the people I know that are over fifty-two are anything but grumpy. I kind of find the younger ones grumpy.

Your comments about your mom are even more encouraging for me to go back on my diet.

I'm with you an alert on my cell phone with a compliment doesn't cut it and neither does an apology by the venue. I'm not even sure an email works for me, I'm more of a snail mail note or a phone call kind of guy.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I see you as a fun person to be around that laughs a lot.

One of the reasons you may not have a lot of arthritis is that you are anything but overweight, if anything you are to thin.

I thought five bucks was a lot to pay for someone to flatter or compliment me. I'm just not that expensive. I think this is one of those fads that won't be around for very long.

Bill