Monday, October 4, 2010

Booze, Plants, or The Mall?

I found the following article kind of startling. I always assumed that men did most of the drinking. Check out the following article:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/10/01/binge-drinking-statistics/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk2%7C174720

Maybe because more women are out in the work force there are more opportunities for them to drink. Maybe also in many cases because women are not only the main breadwinner in the family but still have the responsibilities of the households they are under more stress. Or maybe they are just drinking to forget or drinking to be happy. I think the following article gives us a better alternative than drinking to get us happy:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/10/01/study-to-look-at-plant-believed-to-lift-moods-ease-stress/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk3%7C174708

I'm not sure about eating something I can't pronounce but if it would make me happy maybe I would give it a shot.

You know what makes my happy? Shopping. I am one of those few men that likes to shop. Maybe because I am really good at it. Mom says since I only fill in on the shopping once in a while now that her grocery bill has gone up a hundred bucks a month. Give me a coupon, I'm in seventh heaven. I also like to hang out at malls. Get up early in the morning, do the mall walk, have a leisurely breakfast while reading the paper or a good book, and then take in a movie. A good day. Now the mall has become a place where you can get married at, have a baby there, and even die there:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/6885252_for_birth_death_and_everything_in_between_american_malls_expand_shopping_experiences;_ylt=AjdpE4CBum1CM8Mq3PFcLm.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTYwbW91dDBnBGFzc2V0A2FjLzIwMTAxMDA0LzY4ODUyNTJfZm9yX2JpcnRoX2RlYXRoX2FuZF9ldmVyeXRoaW5nX2luX2JldHdlZW5fYW1lcmljYW5fbWFsbHNfZXhwYW5kX3Nob3BwaW5nX2V4cGVyaWVuY2VzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOQRwb3MDNgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ZvcmJpcnRoZGVhdA--

Your comments about the articles of the day are always appreciated. I'm heading out to the mall and taking in the movie The Social Network. I'll respond to all comments when I return.

WHO AM I?

Because I am a rerun you won't get as many clues. I not only share a first with George Washington as one of each our genders to seek the big prize, I was one of the first Who Am I(s) on the blog. Born in 1838 I became a colorful and notorious symbol for women's rights, free love, and spiritualism as I fought against corruption and for labor reforms. I died in the same year the Bambino set a home run record in baseball. I was part of the common working class fighting against the corrupt business elite. Together with my sister I was the first woman to operate a brokerage firm on Wall Street. My father was a con man, arsonist, snake oil salesman and often a fake doctor. My two brothers were printers but I was associated most of my life with my younger sister. I was married at age fifteen to a real doctor. We had two children, one disabled. I was quoted as saying "To woman, by nature, belongs the right of sexual determination. When the instinct is aroused in her, then and then only should commerce follow. When woman rises from sexual slavery to sexual freedom, into the ownership and control of her sexual organs, and man is obliged to respect this freedom, then will this instinct become pure and holy; then will woman be raised from the iniquity and morbidiness in which she now wallows for existence, and the intensity and glory of her creative functions be increased a hundred-fold." Who Am I?

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

I guess I'm not surprised at the article on women drinking. I think it's been the case for a long time, but not well known, probably because so many homemakers drank at home and people weren't aware of their little nips or it just wasn't discussed. Alcohol is considered one of the most common self-medicating options available. Married men may stop for a drink on the way home, but many wives hustle straight home to get dinner on the table and the kids taken care of, which means they're not visible drinkers. With more single career women and couples waiting to have children, this is no longer so much the case?

As to the plant... reading it's positive effects doesn't make it sound a whole lot different than those of much maligned marijuana. And I'm not sure how one can anything that relieves stress, gives you a momentary high, is slightly hypnotic and whatever the fourth thing was doesn't have the potential to become addictive, psychologically, if not physically.

My mother would love you. She loves to shop. 99% of the time, I do it because I have to. I love a bargain as much as the next guy or gal, but wandering around a mall isn't my idea of fun. Maybe because there's nothing I need. (shrug) I do coupons and shop grocery specials, especially two-for-one, but I think the last time I was in a mall was when we did the line dance show last March. Now, a garage sale foray, whole 'nother thing (G)

Pat said...

I'm not all that surprised that women are drinking more. Wpmen seem to be doing everything more than they used to.

If the plant would do all those things, I'd chew a little today, I think. But I'll wait for further research befor looking for it. It sounds more like amphetamines than pot to me.

I used to really like to shop, but now not so much. Can't remember the last time I visited the mall. Maybe, as with DanaRae, it's because I don't need anything any more. Or want anything enough to bother to shop for it. Any coupons I save usually expire before I get around to using them. I'd probably save money if I had you do my shopping and ship it to me, even if I paid the freight. I never liked grocery shopping anyway.

On the rare occasions now when I get the shopping bug, I'll hit a thrift store or two.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You make a good point about the drinking going on for a while. Not only at home but because it was kept hidden as their children might have been taken from them. You make another valid point about women in the workforce. They also have more business meetings where drinking takes place.

I also thought of marijuana when the mentioned the plant. Lots of things a like.

Well, I will just have to go to Arizona and go shopping with your mom. Now the words garage sales causes me to run the other way. Same with estate sales.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you women are doing everything more than they used to. I'm will to take the bad with the good in the interest of equality.

I am also going to wait for further research. I figure when the FDA approves I will be dead or ready for it.

Gosh I always check all the ads and make a list of where the prices are the best and how much it would cost me in gas to buy one thing here and one thing there.
I would be happy to do you shopping and ship it to you.

I also like thrift stores. And outlet stores.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Okay, what's so different from thrift stores and garage sales, other than the fact you get to see more of the country doing garage sales? How do you feel about flea markets/

William J. said...

Hi DR

Garage sales the stuff hasn't been cleaned or sterilized so there are a lot of germs, in thrift stores they at least launder the items before putting them out.

I prefer craf fairs to flea markets.

Bill