Wednesday, October 20, 2010

At The End Of The Day

Tomorrow and Friday there will be a Who Am I. It hasb een a really long trying and sometimes twenty-four hours. Starting last night here is what my day was like:

I was at Mom's last night and she told me that most likely the caregiver is not coming back. She definitely won't be there the next two weeks because she is going on a long planned vacation. Both Mom & I will be surprised if she is back in two weeks. At the same time my Nephew's last day is Thursday night. That means until we find someone else I will be doing four to seven nights a week at Mom's.

Then when I left Mom's to come home to get ready for the memorial as I was getting out of the car I fell and hit my head and had a pretty severe headache for a couple of hours. I didn't lose conscience and I didn't get blurred vision and my blood pressure was pretty normal so I didn't go to the emergency room. I still have a little headache and am monitoring my blood pressure and making sure I don't go to sleep for more than two hours. If the headache is still there tomorrow I will call the doctor.

Then I went ahead and went to the memorial and it was very emotional. It really wasn't a memorial, it was a viewing and I had never been to one before. I said my peace with Katie but I just couldn't get Mom out of my mind and just had a vision of mom there. I just couldn't get the thought out of my mind that was Mom lying there.

After the memorial I took off to head home and my cell phone rang. It was Mom so I answered it even though talking on your cell in the car is against the law. She wanted to know how I was doing, in the middle of the conversation I looked in the mirror and red lights were flashing. I hung up on Mom without saying good bye. While the officer was getting my driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance the phone kept ringing. Using better judgment then the first call, I didn't answer it. The officer took pity on me and didn't give me a ticket or even a warning. Apparently when he ran my driver's license it came back clean and showed the last ticket I had was twenty years ago. I lucked out and thanked the officer profusely,

Then I pulled over in the next parking lot and checked my voice mail. To say Mom was in extreme panic would be an understatement. She was sure that I had passed out when I disconnected from the phone. Fortunately, I got back to her before she had called out the troops. When I told Mom I was fine she broke down crying. She kept repeating; "nothing can happen to you, I couldn't take, I wouldn't live." I guess I learned how really honestly important I am to her. In some ways that flatters me, in some ways that scares me, and in some ways it feels like to much responsibility.

I'm off to rest now and will return tomorrow with a new blog entry. How was you day?

PS

I forgot the part about getting an email from USPS Global that I had a package to pickup. When I went to the post office to pickup the package I was informed it was a scam they hoped I didn't download the file. I didn't.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, Bill, what an awful day and night! One thing to look for after a head bump is that your pupils are equal size. Other than that, you're doing the right things. I hope the headache goes away soonest!

Nothing to say about the viewing. I frankly think such things are barbaric, and I can imagine how it hit you, all things considered.

You're right that you have too much responsibility, but at least you have family to take up the slack if something happened to you. Meanwhile, it seems you're pretty much stuck with it, and all I can say is I completely sympathize.

I'm glad at least the cop was willing to let you off because of such a sterling record. All this and an email scam, too -- what a day!!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

After your message I did check my pupils and they are the same size. Thank you for the tip!

I went expecting a memorial and ended up with a viewing, it was barbaric.

I just now learned from my Mom a few seconds ago that one of my nieces plans to go to college in the Portland area and wants to stay with Mom. If that happens we will be covered seven days a week. I can take it for three months.

I think the cop let me off because I told the truth and Mom kept calling with him standing there!

Bill

Mary said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you're feeling much better this morning. It's nice to know you mean so much to your mother, but there's a lot of pressure there too. I really wish she'd reconsider the assisted living. I know she'd rather be home, but it annoys me that you have to give up so much of your life so she can stay home.

Yes, I am a selfish bitch. Sending you hugs.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Thanks for the hugs.

I am a lot better today.

And to set the record straight you aren't a selfish bitch, you are a very good friend that wants what is best for me.

Bill

Mary Z said...

So sorry to hear about all your trials and tribulations! I do hope you're recovered from the head-bump. I know looking for a new care-giver for your mom won't be easy.

We just got the November Smithsonian magazine, and there's a nice piece about Portland in it. Be sure to read it.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Thanks for both for your concern and for the tip! I am going to go either to the Library or the Book Store for a copy of the Smithsonian Magazine!

Bill