Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Old bread, New Codes, & Honest Boys.

Just a heads up that tomorrow there may or may not be a post. If there is a post it will be later in the afternoon. I am at Mom's tonight and tomorrow morning. Then tomorrow afternoon I have to attend a memorial. My friend Susan's mom died Monday after being injured in a car accident on Sunday. When I actually had an office outside my home Susan's office was a few doors down from mine. I became good friends with her and her husband, who died several years ago, and the friendship has continued. She was the first one to bring a nice food dish over when we lost dad. She has visited mom on several occasions. Her mom was eighty-nine and had Alzheimer's. Susan was an RN and cared for her mom in Susan's home.

What happened in the accident Sunday? Susan paid for her mom's granddaughter, her sister's daughter, to come visit her Mom. They hadn't seen each other for a while. After Susan and her Mom picked up the granddaughter at the airport they decided to go to lunch and take in some Columbia Gorger sightseeing. On the way home back Susan was driving on a mountain road and took a curve a little to fast. The car tipped on its side and her Mom hit her head on the car's window causing head injuries. She died the next day in the hospital.

I'm asking for prayers, positive vibes and good thoughts for Susan. I know they will be appreciated.

Now on to today's post. The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Val Plumwood. First up, I would like you to know that I don't have bread this old in my fridge.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101018/india_nm/india522760

You are walking down the aisle of your favorite grocery or department store and you hear over the loudspeaker "code yellow, code yellow", and you wonder what exactly does that mean. You can find out by reading the following article:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/13/what-secret-loudspeaker-codes-mean-at-department-stores/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk1%7C177421

I really think the boy in the following article is a hero but I waver back and forth on whether or not he did the right thing:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/police-north-carolina-fifth-grader-takes-pot-to-school-turns-in-parents/19678196?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec4_lnk2%7C178639

How old is the bread in your refrigerator? Are you surprised that bread has been around that long? Are you glad you now know when you hear code brown to duck or code blue to get the heck out of there? The five year-old boy, did he do the right thing?

8 comments:

Pat said...

First, I'm very sorry for Susan, and send good wishes to her.

I don't think I ever wondered when bread first came to be used, but yes, I'm a little surprised it was that early. I remember as a kid reading about Indians making pita bread with cornmeal about that way, and I made some at home. In a skillet, not on a hot rock. It was pretty good with a little butter and salt.

I think the kid is a self-righteous little fink, and he got what he deserved being removed from the home. It's too bad his sibling has to suffer as well. Now if his parents were cooking meth or were serious druggies, it might be one thing. If they had a little pot around the house, he might have expressed his displeasure to them and otherwise kept it to himself.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I know Susan appreciates your good wishes.

I bet the pita bread you made was great.

I sort of agree with and don't agree with you about the fifth grader. He was doing what he was taught at school just a few days earlier. I fault the school for teaching that him and not allowing exceptions or talking about different circumstances.

Bill

dona said...

Prayers, good wishes for Susan, very sorry to hear that.

About the bread article, I guess I didn't think about when it came about either. A little something to be learned at this age still.

I sort of think the boy was a fink too, given his age, but then you have to wonder how he has been raised at home. Obviously he may have been in a sort of bubble to were he didn't know about this sort of thing other than what he learned from the school. I know a couple of kids this age and think either one would maybe do this as a get back at the parents...so you have to wonder whether it maybe for that reason too that he did it.? I dunno, I am back and forth on it.

I am glad to know the codes for the stores. I will keep this close so if I hear them I will know whether to keep shopping or get the heck outta there!
I have always wondered what the codes meant as there is a Walmart the Shankster and I used to frequent, but everytime we got 10 steps into the store you would hear "Security to main isle, stat". Then we would notice being followed through out the store. There was never anything said. But it would happen every time we went there. We wondered for years if our pics were up somewhere for most wanted or something, then just figured we must just look like criminals. :)

Needless to say, We don't go to that one anymore.

Lady DR said...

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident and Susan's mom. Susan and the rest of the family will definitely be in my prayers. I guess the positive is the granddaughter did get to see her grandmother one more time and share lunch. I suspect it will be a tough day for everyone and won't really look for a post from you.

Yes, I did know about the bread. We can thank Dr. Landrum and all my ghostwriting for him. Actually, humans were essentially vegetarians for many, many years, gatherers, rather than hungers. While they did learn to hunt and kill animals, initially, they had no knowledge of fire for cooking. Even after they learned to use fire, they still had no knowledge of how to preserve meat, so it had to be eaten mostly then and there. As a result, their primary diet was what the women could gather in the forests (berries and fruits) and the nearby grasslands (they dared not stray too far from forests and, later, caves. Grasslands yielded grains, which could be saved and transported. Ergo, cooked flatbreads have been around a long time, way back to the earliest forms of humans. (End of historic lecture).

The codes are interesting. Either I rarely hear them or tune them out, as I'm not aware of a lot of them. The local grocery makes it simple: "Spill clean on Aisle 16" means somebody broke a bottle and you probably want to avoid 16 for a few minutes (g). What I found kind of amusing were the the few comments (which I rarely read), which seemed pretty picky and juvenile to me.

Like everyone else, I'm torn about the article on the kid turning in his parents. Technically, he did exactly what he was likely taught in the DARE class. Drugs are bad, drugs are to be reported. He's ten years old. What is the judgmental and logic capability of a typical ten year old boy? There are a lot of other questions: How much pot was found in the home? Was it an occasional recreational drug or routinely used? What were the conditions of the home and the children? Clean house, clean kids, regular meals, regular discipline, kids doing well in school, parents employed and caring well for children? If all the above is true, the kid may have created a situation that's very unfortunate for everyone involved. If the above isn't true, the kid may have done himself and sibling a big favor. There are a lot of details missing.

An aside to Dona - the message I lost last night was partly for you. I do hope the Shankster is recovering and soon. It was strange, because the two of you have been in my thoughts during morning meditation and prayer and there was just a "feeling" you two needed a few prayers yourself, although you hadn't posted for a while. WooWooWooWoo

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm sure Susan appreciates your prayers.

I also was kind of stunned the the cavemen ate something besides meat.

How he was raised is one reason to hesitate to call him a fink. Also it tells me if his folks were home making bombs to take down a federal building we would be safe because we know the kid would do the right thing.

Gosh I would never suspect either you or The Shankster to be the suspicious type. I would stay away from that Walmart Store. They don't good enough judgment for me.


Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

One of the things that I am worried about that is since Susan was driving she might have a lot of guilt feelings, that is why it is important for me to be there. I did tell Susan on the phone that maybe seeing her granddaughter was the last thing she needed before moving on.

Gosh the things you learn ghostwriting. I'm impressed. And I just learned a ton more from your posts.

My grocery store does the same as yours but I am guessing if there was a bomb scare they would use a code. I imagine "man with bomb on aisle 3, might cause a little bit of a panic.

The kid did do the right thing, but I think turning is parents in was going a little to far. I'm not ready to label him a fink yet. You bring up a lot of interesting questions.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bill, I didn't raise the issue, but I am concerned that Susan feels some sort of responsibility for her mom's death from the accident. I truly hope that's not the case. I do believe in fate and I do believe "to all things there is a purpose and a time for all things under heaven>" Given what you said about Susan's mom, maybe this is what was meant to be. I just hope Susan doesn't beat herself up over what happened.

William J. said...

Hi DR

At Mom's getting ready to packup and go home to shower and get ready for the memorial.

I brought the guilt feelings up when she called me. She says she doesn't have any quilt because she also believes in fate. I also mentioned that she did more for her mom than anyone could have expected and she should be proud of that.

Still it is something I will watch for and not let happen.

Bill