Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Health News.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Ellen Swallow Richards

Today a lot of news on the health front. Today The USA Today had a full page of articles on eye care and the improvements that they are making in how to cure different eye diseases. You can read the main article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/medical/2010-10-12-newvision12_ST_N.htm

I'm really encouraged by the article and they strides they are making in health care.

My dad had a stroke. His stroke brought on his dementia full force. I've always resented the doctor that cared for him. We took dad to the doctor on a Friday and the doctor basically didn't do anything even though dad was having signs of a stroke. The doctor diagnosed it as the flu. By Monday my dad couldn't walk and we called 911 to take him to the emergency room. He never recovered and was never the same after that. If only. If only the doctor would have sent him to the hospital on Friday would things have been different? I think so. My Mom has had four strokes. Her mind is still sharp. She has trouble getting around because of physical ailments caused by the stroke but she can get around. She can also do most things for herself. Each time she had a stroke, I was with her. It scared the Holy Hell out of me. However, each time I knew the symptoms and each time I called 911 immediately. Mom got treatment within in an hour for each one of her strokes. Would have things been different if Mom had been with someone else that didn't know the signs of a stroke and didn't act as fast? I think so. I think it is extremely important that all of us here know the signs of a stroke. A quote in the next article "New research is targeting those underserved populations to better spread the word that "time is brain" — the faster you move the more brain you save."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101012/ap_on_he_me/us_med_healthbeat_stroke_care

The article wasn't real clear about what the symptoms of a stroke are so I am sharing them with you. This is from The American Stroke Association. Warning signs of a stroke:

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes

Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

In addition American Stroke Association advises you to be prepared for an emergency by:

Keep a list of emergency rescue service numbers next to the telephone and in your pocket, wallet or purse.

Find out which area hospitals are primary stroke centers that have 24-hour emergency stroke care.

Know (in advance) which hospital or medical facility is nearest your home or office.

You are all free to pass on the information in today's blog to your friends, relatives, co-workers and associates. Help spread the word about strokes and how we can minimize the damage from them.

Do you know what dengue fever is? I didn't until the next article peaked my interests. Dengue fever is a virus-based disease spread by mosquitoes. Dengue fever begins with a sudden high fever, often as high as 104 - 105 degrees Fahrenheit. A flat, red rash may appear over most of the body 2 - 5 days after the fever starts. A second rash, which looks like the measles, appears later in the disease. Infected people may have increased skin sensitivity and are very uncomfortable. The following article catches us up on the research they are doing for dengue fever and how they are using the cause, mosquitoes, to find a cure.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/ap_on_sc/as_malaysia_dengue_fever;_ylt=AvFbL5vzQKMw5wimNzDCekes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlcDVrdWw1BHBvcwMxMTUEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9zY2llbmNlBHNsawNtYWxheXNpYXRvdXM-

Have a very healthy day! Your comments are always appreciated.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Have to say that Dengue fever is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. Along with malaria and beri-beri. Strokes occupy a much, much higher rank.

I'm not terribly encouraged about strides in some other things. Research takes so darned long to be useful and I'm so darned old. But of course I'm glad to hear of any breakthroughs.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The reason I posted about Dengue fever is for information only. There is a lot of misdiagnosis for it in some areas as measles.

I am encouraged by any research that has potential. Whether it is my generation or the next one it could very well lead to a cure.

Bill

PS

Sorry it took to long to post,
I got wrapped up watching the Chili rescue.