Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Long Way Home.

I am much better today but do have still have a little bit of a headache so am resting today. I am not going to write a lot today, just three articles and you can comment on any or all of them.

First up is a column from one of my favorite columnists, Craig Wilson of The USA Today. If anyone told me that I write like him it would be flattery to the nth degree! I have no reason to share this with you other than I like his writing and like me he has more women friends then men.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2010-10-20-final20_ST_N.htm

The next article is kind of frightening. Can you imagine how different history would have been if the agent had pulled the trigger?

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/secret-service-agent-reveals-how-he-almost-shot-lbj-after-jfk-assassination/19681750?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C178943

Last but not least is a law firm that hasn't reached the twentieth century. I can understand requiring a nice pants suit or maybe you could convince me that the firm is OK to require women employees to wear skirts. Requiring high heels is so last century:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/10/19/secretary-forced-to-wear-heels-trips-on-office-carpet-sues-for/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C179022

Your comments. Off to take some aspirin and rest a little more.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1924. I am a Native American elder from a city not to far from where Bill went to college and close to one of his favorite towns. When I was born I was brought into the world by a midwife, my grandmother. We were a poor family and survived the depression with no electricity. I would go on to marry three times and have three daughters and three sons who gave me eighteen grandchildren, twenty-seven grandchildren and a great great great grandchild. I am the oldest member of my tribe, and the granddaughter of the first elected Chief of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz. I have had a rich and varied working life ranging from working for the Indian Health Service as a physician's Assistant, an alcohol and Drug Counselor, a Scrub Nurse, a Logger, a Singer, a Bouncer, a Barber in a Jail and a Stock Car Racing Driver. Through my work as an indigenous elder stateswoman I gained international recognition as the Elected Chairperson of the International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers - a group of spiritual elders, medicine women and wisdom keepers. When I was seriously ill with cancer I asked the Creator to let me live as I had lots of friends and family who relied on me and I had a lot left to do in the world. Since my request was granted I have had a transformation and gravitated to a very spiritual type of life. In ancient times, Western Oregon Indian Tribes would hold a ceremony to welcome and bless the returning salmon each year. For 140 years, due to the loss of traditional ways because so many had died on the reservations, the ceremony was not continued. My late husband and I brought back the ceremony. I am now known as the 'Keeper of the Sacred Salmon Ceremony. While studying psychology and Native American studies at the college Bill graduated from I co-founded the Konanway Nika Tillicum (All My Relations) Youth Academy. Later I was approached by The Center for Sacred Studies to serve on the International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers. These thirteen Grandmothers are internationally known Keepers of Wisdom, Medicine Women and Shaman and come from all four directions of the world. The Council has been active in protecting indigenous rights and medicines, promoting ancient wisdom. The Grandmothers have also petitioned the Roman Catholic Church to revoke a 15th Century Papal bull and related edicts which brought about a culture of 'rape and run' culture when new lands have been discovered. The Grandmothers have visited the Vatican City in order to hand-deliver their request. However, these medieval decrees still are yet to be revoked. I believe the International Council of 13 Grandmothers to have not come together by accident coming at the eleventh hour to be "a voice for the voiceless." Who Am I?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Well, first Bill, I'm glad you're feeling better and have no long-term effects from the fall. If you're like me, the fall will make you considerably more cautious in the future.

Taking the long way home with a good friend sounds very appealing. Only here in LA, we'd probably be driving.

I heard the story about the Secret Service guy's near-miss on the radio. Whatever happened to "Freeze! Police!"? Do they now shoot first and ask questions later?

And as to demanding secretaries wear high heels, well, I wish her well in her lawsuit, assuming she had ever objected to the policy. In THE GOOD WIFE's last episode, Alicia got a dressing-down (no pun intended) from a judge for wearing a pantsuit. Women had to wear skirts in his antediluvian courtroom. Back in the distant past in my own secretary days, we pretty much had to wear heels and dresses or skirts, though the heels were more or less optional. Pants became okay later, when I was in a whole other line of work, and I very much applauded the day when they said we could wear them if we didn't "meet the public". I'm glad things in most workplaces have changed now, and I don't think I'd want to work for that semi-Nazi law firm.

Mary Z said...

Glad you're feeling better.

You can probably read the article in the Smithsonian online, unless you want to have the hard copy.

Lady DR said...

I'm so glad to hear you're doing okay after the fall and hope the headache goes away soon.

Thanks for Wilson's article. A book to put on my TBR list. And I like his statements about "the long way home." I don't think many of us do that any more and I know I don't. We have to get from Point A to Point B (places to go, things to do, jobs to finish, people to see) as quickly as possible. I schedule errands to take the least amount of time and gas and allow me to get the most done. I think I shall give more consideration to "taking the long way home" from app'ts or errands on occasion.

The story about the agent is scary. I echo Pat's questions - do we now shoot first and ask questions later? That may be valid in some cases, but I doubt it should be standard procedure.

I hope the woman wins her suit. I do know there are judges who require dresses or skirt suits in their courtrooms and I think that's just wrong. I remember, back when I started working, dresses, hose and heels were de rigueur (sp). Ironically, when I was the only woman agent at MONY insurance, dress code was a suit and tie. For everyone. So, I wore pants suit, usually with a vest (fortunately, they'd just come into fashion) and men's ties (yes, I can do a Windsor knot). I looked quite spiffy, actually. The truth is, it's much easier to be ladylike in a pants suit, if you're digging in files, climbing stairs and the like. Plus, there are a gizillion studies showing the negative effects of high heels on everything from feet and arches to lower back and disc alignment.While I'm old-fashioned enough not to approve the "dress down" atmosphere of various offices and stores, I think a woman can be quite professional in a pants suit, even dress jeans and a jacket or blazer in some cases, and low heeled dress shoes. Plus, if she's comfortable, she can concentrate on her job, rather than on whether her skirt's riding up, her pantyhose are sagging and her feet hurt!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The fall has made more cautious, I no longer go out through the garage! I'm a lot better tonigh and with time get better.

Portland is known as a walking city but only about half of the people walk with someone, they just walk alone.

I think when you put in the perspective of what was going on at the time after Kennedy was assasinated and they weren't sure who was responsible. I can see where someone might be trigger happy.

I hope the lady wins the lawsuit against the law firm for a number of reasons including that it is stupid to require heels and that a law firm should have known about making a work place for her despite her handicap.

I saw the Good Wife and my reaction was why didn't she try to get the judge recused for being a sexist.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Now why didn't I think of looking that article up on the Internet?

I did after your comment and loved it.

Thanks for the head up.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Better each hour, headache not completely gone but close.

I also put the book on my TBR list.
I'm going to go make a point to take longer walks home.

I think the Kennedy assasination is one of those things that required shoot first mentality.

I am also rooting for the woman to win her lawsuit. Pant suits are just fine with me and I think the law firm deserves to lose. I started about the same time as you as when for men we had to wear a white shirt, tie, wing tipped shoes, and a three piece suit. If they can change for men, they can change for women and the idiot law firm in the lawsuit needs to get with it. Although I wouldn't really like it, I think some women could look professional in shorts! It is how they act, not how what they wear.

Bill

Ellen said...

Just caught up and I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. Take care of yourself, Bill.

William J. said...

Hi Ellen

Always nice to see you here.

I'm doing much better the headache is pretty much gone!

Thank you.

Bill