Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dads

Quote from a TV dad, Ben Cartwright, "When a man knows something, he really knows deep down in his heart that he doesn't have tp prove it or argue it, just knowing is enough."

From today's OREGONIAN, statistics on fathers:

46 percent of fathers say they had at least one child outside of marriage.

46 percent of dads say that dads today play a bigger role than they did twenty to thirty years ago. 45 percent say they are less involved.

57 percent say that it is more difficult to be a dad today than it was twenty to thirty years ago.

27 percent with kids 18 or younger live away from at least on of their children which is double the percentage in 1960.

Married fathers who live with their children spend about six and a half hours a week on child care. This is up about 3 percent from 1960. Better but it is still half the time mothers put in.

13 percent of fathers with a college degree have children outside marriage compared with 56 percent of those that didn't finish high school.

Age makes a difference with 75 percent of fathers ages 20-24 having children out of wedlock, 36 percent for fathers between 35-44.

Here is an article about the top twelve dads throughout history:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110618/sc_livescience/historys12mostdotingdads;_ylt=AlNz.9Os5s6HggpW2.JNbVys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQ1bTJva2pyBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTEwNjE4L2hpc3RvcnlzMTJtb3N0ZG90aW5nZGFkcwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzUEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNoaXN0b3J5MzlzMTI-

Rules for new fathers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20110617/cm_csm/391189

Comment away.

PRESIDENTS

No new president until Monday. This is from Pat about yesterdays' answer:

"William Howard Taft. I remembered some (probably apocryphal)
story about him getting stuck in a bathtub. Maybe he did and
maybe he didn't, but I did find this little piece of info:

"Big Bill" was over 300 pounds and 6'2". Needing a big bathtub,
he had a 7' long 41" wide tub installed that could accommodate 4
normal-sized men."

4 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting statistics about the dads. My impression of young families is that dads are more involved than they used to be. Maybe that's why so many say it's harder now than it used to be. {g} But I mostly see pretty good families, and I'm sure there are lots of uninvolved fathers.

I'm surprised that 46% say they had kids outside of marriage. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Interesting historical stuff, and a nice article on the rules for new dads. This one sounds like he did a good job without rules.

Lady DR said...

Great stats and articles and quote from Ben Cartwright.

Like Pat, I was surprised at the number of fathers who admitted to having a child out of wedlock. Yes, it is more difficult to be a dad today, if you're one of those involved in your children's lives, although my memories are that lots of dads were at least involved in sports and other activities where I was raised.

Interesting article on historic fathers and a bunch of information I didn't know.

Really enjoyed the article for new dads. Sounds to me like this guy was a pretty darned good dad himself.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

As usual I have the same impression you do, dads are more involved, therefor it is harder for them. Every time I take Mom to dinner there are nice families in the restaurant.

46% seemed large to me also and then I got to thinking this is dads out of wedlock not dads having children while they were married to another woman. That means it includes teenage dads.

I have no doubt that the dad in the article did a great job without rules, he has it together.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the positive comments about the stats and article.

We had the same dad and mothers. I remember both my dad and uncle being involved in our lives and most of the dads in the nieghborhood where involved in their kids lives. I wonder if that stopped with the generation in between ours and the next one.

I loved the history in the historical dad article and I loved the dad in the other article.

Bill