Friday, June 17, 2011

Fugitive, Women, & 39

First up today is what our high school kids are up to:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2011/06/hundreds_of_beaverton_teens_plan_to_play_fugitive_an_extreme_game_of_tag_in_the_dark_1.html

That is just to stupid for words. My guess is some innocent person on the way home from work or shopping our an evening outing is killed when they run into a car without headlights. I hope there are steps taken to outlaw "Fugitive" before some gets hurt or dies from stupidity.

Women are better at some jobs then men. Men are better at some jobs then women. That is reality. But I think you might be surprised at what jobs women are better at:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/06/16/why-women-make-better-cops-doctors-and-world-leaders/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk1%7C216229

One of the items on the list supports the article we read a while back about how he invested.

Does the number 39 mean anything to you? Nope, doesn't to me either. However, check out the following article because it means something to some people:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110615/od_nm/us_afghanistan_number

Comment Away.


PRESIDENTS

Yesterday's president was FDR. Today's president is quoted as saying, "Four years is rather a short time in which to work out great governmental policies. Six years as better." Born in 1857 and died in 1930 this dude is known is being the heaviest president. He is also the only president to serve on the highest court in the land as its head honcho. Which president am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good grief! Playing tag with CARS? In the DARK? Are these kids nuts, or do they just have a death wish? Actually, I imagine it is a lot of fun. Until a car hits you.

I'm not surprised by most of the jobs they say women are good at. In fact, I could have told them that. :-) I was, however, surprised that "Newscaster" was in that group, and that people find women more credible. After all the years the news anchor just had to be a man, and women weren't even considered. Go figure.

Funny about the "39" taboo. I wonder if it will spread. The Chinese have some unlucky numbers, too. I'm thinking either 6 or 9, but can't remember for sure. I do remember one story about a realtor having to get the address of a house changed in order to sell it to a Chinese couple.

Lady DR said...

"Fugitive" is a game of insanity and I hope the local cops are able to stop it before it starts. It's a bit like the old game of "chicken," seeing who'd stay head on longest, before getting off the road. And you make a good point about innocent bystanders.

The article about jobs women are better at didn't really surprise me. There are just certain genetic traits that lend themselves to certain careers. Like Pat, I was a bit surprised by the newscasters, but even though the others are what have always been considered "male" fields, women are often (hate generalities) better qualified through natural instincts.

Other than Jack Benny's perpetual age, 39 never meant much to me. Interesting how it became "taboo," just as the new 39 series plates rolled off the line.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Not only playing tag with cars but peoiple are playing tag while they have cars and the fugitives don't. Sick.

I admit the article on women did surprise me especially the investment and the newscaster. The later women made great strides fast.

I don't remember the Chinese numbers either but I do remember 888 and 666. 39 did surprise me.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Chicken might have been even more dangerous but it was car against car and this is car against pedistrian. The thing that bothers me the most about Fugitive besides the stupidity of it is that they don't have their headlights on and some innocent nonparticipant could suffer through no fault of their own.

I am the only one of the three that was surprised by the jobs women are better at wounder if that in itself is a gender issue even though I like to think I am one of the more aware men.

I loved Jack Benny and remember I met his sidekick, Dennis Day. That is what I remember about 39 too.

Bill