Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Good People, An Update, & Cars.

CONGRATULATIONS to the University of South Carolina for winning the 2011 College World Series baseball championship. I now think that the father did the right thing by quitting his job to see his son play. On another subject stay tune as Friday or Saturday there will pictures of the official blog dog who also hails from South Carolina.

People doing good things.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110626/ap_on_re_us/us_north_dakota_flooding

An update on a previous story on the blog:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110625/ap_on_re_as/as_new_zealand_emperor_penguin

Weird Laws

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/autonomous-vehicle-law-nevada_n_884307.html?ir=Weird%20News

Comment Away

PRESIDENTS

Yesterday's answer was James Monroe. We have ran out of presidents so we are now starting famous quotes in history. I will give the quote and a little about the person making the quote and then you will tell me who he or she is. "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." He was born in 1879 and died in 1955. Born in Germany he became a very famous physicist. He published more than 300 scientific papers along with over 150 non-scientific works. His warnings to and meetings with FDR led to the Manhattan Project. Despite being white he was a member of the NAACP and fought for civil right. If you think of relatives if might help you answer who is this. Wait. Maybe it is relativity and not relatives you need to think of. Who is the author of the quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I just can't imagine what it must be like to have to recover from a flood, tornado, or other really horrible natural disaster. People do it, and I admire them.

I'm so glad the penguin is being helped to get home. I was worried about him. Or her--apparently they haven't determined gender as yet. And reading further, I'm still worried. I do hope s/he pulls through, and I applaud the man who wants to take him/her home.

I read something in the paper about driverless cars. Weird idea! The article I read said that so far, they had included a driver and a navigator, in case of emergency, which is reassuring.

Lady DR said...

Go USC! (Well, except when playing Clemson in football -G-). Are you referring to the Scamp as "Official blog dog?" If so, I'll not tell her. She's entirely too full of herself, as it is!

I hope Minot and other areas do get the assistance they need from FEMA. Too often, flood disasters in the Midwest get short shift. Having see what flooding and tornadoes can do there, it can be just as devastating as the disasters that get a lot more press.

Good news on the penguin getting help. I know they'd hoped to let it get by naturally, but sounds like the poor thing is totally confused about its new environment. Good job on the investor offering help and on Sea World offering to adopt it, should it not be able to go home.

I'm ambivalent about the autonomous cars. While it would be nice to have "autopilot" to get through cities and such, the idea of a car without a human driver to intercede makes me more than a little nervous. It also raises the question - why would you want a car that didn't have a driver at all? Even if it was used for, say, courier service, wouldn't you still need someone to get the packages from car to door? Am I confused? Like I said, autopilot would be a nice, but a car with no human in it? I guess I'm just not there yet.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I can't imagine either what it would be like to recover from a disaster because although I've been in a couple of earthquakes, a flood, and a volcano eruption they were far enough way the most people near me didn't havve damage.

I really want the Penguin to make it home safely and in good health.

A driver or naviagator would certainly make me more comfortable with a driverless car.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Scamp is the office blog dog.

I am with you, I also hope Minot and the other damaged areas get the help they need from FEMA.

I'd like the man that stepped up and offered to get the penguin home, he has a good heart.

You raise an interesting point, why would anyone want a driverless car? Could they replace taxis? Would anyone get in them if they wer driverless taxis? Maybe to give tired drivers a rest? the real driver could take a nap in the backseat while the car is on autopilot. I'm not getting in a driverless car, not now, not ever.

Bill