Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fast Food, Bank Errors, & Dress Codes

Changes coming in the fast food industry:

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/06/28/food-stamps-for-fast-food-yum-say-restaurants/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk1%7C217383

Should food stamps be used to buy unhealthy food?

Changes should be coming in the foreclosure industry:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/27/retired-florida-foreclosure_n_885477.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C217280

If I was in charge this would be enough for me to make the bank pay a gigantic penalty.

Is this discrimination:

http://southsanfrancisco.patch.com/articles/woman-shocked-over-headscarf-firing?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec1_lnk2|73728&icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk1%7C217280

Does the employer have the right to impose a dress code?

QUOTE:

The answer to yesterday's who said this quote was Albert Einstein. Today's quote is "Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." This dude was born in 1835 and died in 1910. He had both a pen name and a birth name, most known by the pen name. He was a friend to presidents, artists, industrialists, and European royalty. However, he lacked financial acumen. Though he made a great deal of money from his writings and lectures, he squandered it on various ventures, in particular the Paige Compositor, and was forced to declare bankruptcy. He was born during a visit by Halley's Comet, and predicted that he would "go out with it" as well. He died the day following the comet's subsequent return. He was lauded as the "greatest American humorist of his age. William Faulkner called him "the father of American literature." He patented three inventions, including an "Improvement in Adjustable and Detachable Straps for Garments" (to replace

suspenders) and a history trivia game. Most commercially successful was a self-pasting scrapbook; a dried adhesive on the pages only needed to be moistened before use. If you fill in the blank in the following quote; "Never the ________should meet", you should be answer the question of Who Said today's quote?

5 comments:

Lady DR said...

Some interesting and provocative articles, Bill.

Should food stamps be used to buy unhealthy food? They already are, every day of the week, based on anecdotal observation. Stretching SNAP allotments, many recipients fill their carts with high fat, low nutritional foods, fried frozen meals, high fat snacks. Add the fact some regions - including ours - consider frying the quickest and easiest way to prepare almost anything doesn't help the situation.

On the flip side of the coin, for the same price as a burger and fries at places like McD's, Burger King and such, you can purchase a Ceasar salad, grilled chicken salad and sometimes other salads. Most KFCs now offer a buffet, that allows you to have as much salad and as many side veggies as you want, along with either friend or baked chicken, for about the same price as a three piece fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and a roll. To be honest, on nights we don't want to cook or clean up, we often get a salad at BK or McDs, usually grilled chicken.

The whole issue is choice. Food stamps are buying equally unhealthy food at grocery stores. If you can't change a person's attitude and choices and habits, it really doesn't matter where they buy their food, in terms of how healthy it is.

As to the foreclosures... criminal. It's obvious the errors were made by the "clean out" companies, but the banks are so anxious to foreclose, so they can resell and regain their money, I suspect there's little oversight. It's hard to believe one can't tell the difference between a house and a condominium. The obvious solution is for a bank rep to meet the clear out company at the property. I hope the owners get redress, but it doesn't sound promising.

The dress code thing causes me some ambivilance (sp?). I think the key issue is the woman was wearing her scarf at the interview, was asked about it, was told it was fine, so long as she wore company colors. That created tacit agreement to her attire. Yes, employers have the right to impose dress codes, IMHO. Primarily due to some of the get-ups employees show up wearing - the low slung shorts and jeans, bare midriffs, outfits more suited to a bar or club than an office or professional setting, which includes sales clerks and the like. It never used to be necessary. People knew how to dress for work. Not so much anymore.

Funny dress code story - when I was hired as an insurance agent by MONY, in a previous lifetime, I was the only female in the office - a token hire, initially. Dress code was very clear - suit and tie. I dutifully donned women's pants suits (which had just come into vogue), most with a vest, and wore a man's necktie, the knot just below the open top button of my shirt/blouse. Since I knew I was expected to fail, I did everything I could to make sure I followed all the rules (and set sales records no one could argue with!)

Pat said...

I have to agree with the writer that it would be better if we spent our energy trying to get more fresh and nutritious food to the poor. Like, how about sponsoring some real supermarkets in the poor areas? If all they have reasonable access to is fast food, of course they'd spend their food stamps on it. But as DR says, most fast food places now have more healthy choices, so that puts the ball back in the consumer's court.

I have heard other stories about people losing their houses by mistake. It must be horrible! Let's hear it for all those banks we bailed out! Not. Like you, I'd make them pay a huge penalty, and get the victims a comparable house.

About the headscarf... this young woman should not have been fired. That's kind of hard for me to say because I have an unreasoning aversion to hijab. To me, it symbolizes the oppression of woman, so I just flat don't like it. But when I put on my "reasonable and non-judgmental" hat, I have to say it harms no one if she wears it at work, and if she's wearing one in the company's colors, that's one more brownie point in her favor. So I'm in her corner, even though I hate that she feels she has to wear it.

But your question was whether the employer has a right to impose a dress code. Yeah, I think the employer has that right.

Lady DR said...

Pat, you were much better at clarifying my feelings about the young woman and the hijab. I don't like what it symbolizes, but she was told it wasn't a problem on hiring. Therein lies the issue for me. And I see we agree on the dress code.

William J. said...

Hi DR

That is what I kind of thought. In ancient history when I worked at the grocery store the only limit on food stamps was beer, wine, and booze. And you are right a lot of fast food joints are offering healthy choices. Mom and I often get baked potatoes and chili at Wendy's and split the baked potato for dinner. They have the best baked potatoes of anyone.

I think if the bank screwup on foreclosures and a person loses their house due to the bank's mistake at the minimum they need to buy the person a house and cancel the mortagage.

On the issue of the scarf I am kind of on the side of the employer even though I am totally against discrimination 99% of the time. This is what I am guessing happened. Because of the anti-sentiment in this country one of the business's good customers (or more than one) complained to management and said they would no long come into the store. The employer losing customers and money to me overrides the wearing the scarf to the interview. The solution to me would be she could wear the scarf to company events like meetings and picnics but not when waiting on customers.

I really admire you inventiveness at wearing a man's tie! And also for being the first woman at the job!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am with you and the writer that we need to spend our energy getting healthy food to the poor areas.

Not only would I make the banks get the victims another house, I'd make them get it debt free.

I can always count on you to bring up a point I hadn't considered. The way the Middle East treats women. Because of the anti Muslim sentiment in the U.S. I do think wearing the scarf could hurt the employer's bottom line.

Bill