Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Slow News Day Number 2.

Another slow news day so I am reduced to articles about how to grocery shop:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/06/why-grocery-shopping-may-never-be-the-same/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%7C215302

I've kind of gotten away from The Dollar Tree as I found their stuff wanting.

Next up I am reduced to posting an article on how to rehab in style.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/03/keeping-up-with-the-joneses-americas-priciest-rehab-palaces/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C215302

The most interesting article today is on an early letter by Hitler.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/hitler-letter-jews_n_872705.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C215390

I am kind of stunned that his hate for Jews came in 1919, yet when he ran for chancellor that the people of Germany either ignored that hate or were unaware of it.

I'm also going to recommend a book by Erik Larson IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS. It is about an American Diplomat and his daughter assigned to Germany in 1933. They get sucked in by Nazi proganda and then can't get out. It is a true story.

Comment Away

PRESIDENTS:

Yesterday's answer was LBJ. Today's president was quoted as saying: "My life has been devoted to arms, yet I look upon war at all times and under all circumstances to be avoided if compatible with national honor." Born in 1784 and died in 1850.. He was a national war hero. His military career lasted four decades and several wars. His nickname was Old Rough & Ready. He was the last president to own slaves while in office. If you know the number 12 you can answer the question, Which President Am I?

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

I suspect a lot of folks are changing their grocery shopping habits, in the current economy. I've not shopped food at dollar stores, but their ads are intriguing. I do shop specials and I now use a lot of store brand stuff, most of which I've found to be as good as the more expensive "name" brand items.

You're right - the idea of spending that much to break a habit would be enough to give one pause. However, given what some of these folks have spent on designer drugs and the money they have to burn, I suppose it may seem quite reasonable to them.

Interesting about the letter from Hitler. Like you, I'd not realized his hatred dated so early on. I'd like to think most of the people in Germany were unaware of his underlying (hidden?) agenda and some of what I've read seems to confirm this. It appears many Germans were appalled at what was happening, but by then, he had so much power, there was little they could do to stop him, although many did what they could to help the Jewish population hide or attempt to escape.

Are you resting and feeling better? Has the indigestion faded? What are you doing to reduce stress? (Nosy me, but I worry about you)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm doing better but not hear 100% and it has been a real struggle. Yesterday's seminar and then on to Mom's was a little rough. But I am improving everyday.

I've changed my grocery shopping habits but I did do a lot in the article already.

It also appears that mon Germans didn't want war and one of Hitler's promises was not to got to war. So much for promises. I am going believe like you most were unaware of his agenda and the book suggestion kind of confirms that.

Bill