Monday, June 20, 2011

Let The Light Burn

Let's start out the week with a charming story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110619/ap_on_re_us/us_homeless_man_rich

The man is sure going to have some adjustments to make! I would like to know the circumstances that lead to him being homeless.

How do you feel about dress codes? For hospital employees?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/06/17/brits-ban-bare-midriffs-and-cleavage-for-hospital-employees/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk2%7C216400

I am still thinking this one over. Maybe there shouldn't be bare skin for health reasons. I'm just haven't made up my mind yet on whether or not I am for or against the dress code.

How long do your light bulbs last?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110617/hl_time/httpnewsfeedtimecom20110616theworldsoldestlightbulbhasbeenonfor110yearsxidrssfullhealthsciyahoo;_ylt=AvWYltGQa3d31Rc2Qv6c9nqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTY1ZjA5YmgwBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMTA2MTcvaHR0cG5ld3NmZWVkdGltZWNvbTIwMTEwNjE2dGhld29ybGRzb2xkZXN0bGlnaHRidWxiaGFzYmVlbm9uZm9yMTEweWVhcnN4aWRyc3NmdWxsaGVhbHRoc2NpeWFob28EY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM5BHBvcwM2BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDdGhld29ybGQzOXNv

I wonder who they are going to leave the light bulb to in their will.

Comment Away.

PRESIDENTS

"The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freeman, or Slaves. Our cruel and unrelenting Enemy leaves us no choice, we have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." Born in 1732 and died in 1799. This words were part of the orders he issued as commander in chief. One week after these orders were issued the troops destroyed a statue of the King, melted it down, and used it as bullets for their army. Some wanted him to be king but he refused. He then became president. If you know of cherry trees and the number one you can answer the question, Which President Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

I'd also like to know how the man became homeless. I hope he can cope with suddenly having a significant amount of money.

Seems obvious that hospital workers shouldn't show too much skin or cleavage. I personally wouldn't object to jeans, leggings, hair ribbons or combs. Even long fingernails--how long is too long? One of the very best caregivers where my mother lives has both tattoos and a few piercings, so I'm not sure I'd make a hard and fast rule about that.

Around here, hospitals and doctors' offices seem to have all adopted scrubs as the uniform of choice. Some offices seem to all wear the same color on any given day.

That's one amazing light bulb. Maybe its burning continuously is part of the secret. I have found with night lights that they'll last forever if you don't turn them off. If you do, they usually won't turn on again.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The circumstances of how he became homeless might tell us what his chances are to succeed in his new life.

I wouldn't object to jeans either or tatoos. You wuld think it would be obvious that hospital workers wouldn't show skin or cleavage but I've seen some really inappropriate dresses at both hospitals and doctors office.

Most of the hospital employess here dress like they do the way you describe them in LA.

I don't use a night light but Mom does and she turns them off. I am going to pass on your tip to her.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I'd like to know how the man became homeless, particularly given there was apparently some contact with his family and the investigators comment on his being articulate and such. If he's staying periodically at rescue missions, it would appear he has no drinking/drug issues, as most don't allow that. It'll be interesting to see if there's further news. Even more interesting to see what adjustments he makes and how he spends his money.

If professional staff (it sounds like doctors and such) are showing cleavage and midriffs, I'd say a dress code is necessary. I've not seen such in doctors offices or the hospital or rehab facility and goodness knows I spent my fair share of time there while Mom lived here.

I have no issue with jeans or leggings, if clean and fresh. Ditto hair ribbons and combs. I do have a problem with long fingernails, as they can collect dirt and also inadvertently scratch a patient. Most of the staff in offices, hospitals and rehab/therapy wore scrubs, as Pat mentioned. The male docs wore jeans and a shirt, sometimes tie, female doctors slacks and shirt or dress. In both cases, all wore a white lab coat over the "street" clothes. Overall, that sort of dress (and I don't know of any "code" in effect) helps patients and caregivers/advocates identify hospital staff and doctors and gave me a "good feeling" about the professionalism in all cases.

As to the light bulb. I dunno. I read an article a year or so ago, which said one shouldn't leave a night light burning 24/7 as it can overheat the circuit or something and be a potential fire hazard. MY brother (insurance adjuster/special claims investigator) confirmed this and we had Mom turn her night light off when she brushed her teeth in the morning. I turn mine off first time I go into the bathroom. However, given what Pat says, that seems to be a direct contradiction.

William J. said...

Hi DR

The comments in the article about the homeless man made me wonder if wasn't a fugitive from a crime. I hope they do a follow-up article about the man in a year or two.

I have seen that kind of dress by one or two employess of hospitals and doctors office usually front desk personnel.

I have the same problem with long fingernails that you do. Most of the medical staff her wear scrubs but the front office doesn't.

Gosh the night lights we use are very small. We get them at the Dollar Store so it really isn't that expensive to place them. If they are a fire hazard then it isn't that expensive to shut them off.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Here’s another humorous article on totally inappropriate office attire. Love the comment about Japan’s office cubicles being compared to changing rooms at the beach

William J. said...

Anon

Welcome to the blog and thanks for the link!

Bill