Thursday, June 2, 2011

Scary Things.

Eleanor Roosevelt as quoted in the following article, "do one thing you fear everyday." A woman took that to heart. She jumped from airplanes and swam with sharks. Yes the most what she found the most frightening thing to do is something I have done once. It only lasted a couple of minutes but I did it and maybe could do it again.

http://www.mydaily.com/2011/06/02/my-year-with-eleanor-author-empowered-by-first-lady/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk1%7C214857

What would be the most frightening thing for you to do?

A couple of days ago we shared pictures of a nine million dollar house that DR indicated was to big to clean. So day we have just the house for DR:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/06/01/video-family-lives-in-320-square-foot-shotgun-shack/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C214841

I don't think I could live in this house, could you?

The story of the teacher that sang to her class while there was a gang war going on outside the classroom has went viral. There has been over a million views of her video on You Tube. The story has been in all the main newspapers in the U.S. She has won bravery awards from her city and country. Now in fairness, I am sharing an article where the teachers probably didn't you the best of judgment:

http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/06/01/field-trip-hooters_n_869663.html?ref=tw&icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk2%7C214846

Good idea? Are you wondering what church went on a field trip there? Sounds like a fun church to me.

Comment Away.


PRESIDENTS

The answer to yesterday's president was Rutherford B. Hayes. Today's President is quoted as saying, "In truth, though I occupy a very high position, I am the hardest person in this country." Born in 1795 and died in 1849, the quote was taken from his diary on 1-18-47. Most historians agree with him as he accomplished much in his one term in office. Some even believe he worked so hard that he accelerated his death. During his term the U.S. Naval Academy and the Smithsonian Institution opened. The groundbreaking for the Washington Monument, and the issuance of the first postage stamps in the United States also took place. He negotiated the splitting of the Oregon Country and helped lead America to a victory in the Mexican-American War. Scholars have called me the "least known consequential president" of the United States. Eleven has always been my favorite number. Which president am i?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'll join you and the writer on the scariest thing. I've never tried stand-up and probably won't. Second on my list would be sky-diving or bungee-jumping, and I'll never do those, either.

I could live in the shotgun shack. It would be a HUGE adjustment, but I could do it if other conditions were right. But I could only live alone there, not as a family.

I keep seeing these things about kids being taken to Hooters, and it's a big yawn. Some people get all excited about that place, but it seems to me it's just another joint with too many TVs and girls with too-short shorts. Does it get 8th grade boys all excited? Probably. But probably so does just about everything else.

Lady DR said...

Interesting you and the author shared the fear of stand-up comedy and both ended up enjoying it. Scary for me is anything involving heights and I've done several things requiring facing that fear. I can't say I enjoyed them or that it negated the fear. (Shrug) I honestly can't think of what might be most frightening for me, other than being homeless.

I think the little house is just a bit small for me (I'm into happy mediums). However, there is the fact they have a separate building for their shop and work area. We went from 3500 sq ft, with two bedroom suites (for a total of three full baths), four bedrooms total, formal dining, living area, huge kitchen with eat-in area and two car garage with storage to 1600 sq ft, two 4' closets, one bath, one bedroom, kitchen with eating area, large living room we rarely use, no garage. The rest of the house is devoted to two offices and a "bonus" room that serves as laundry, craft room, guest room. We do have a storage shed, but it's mainly devoted to parts and such for Himself's business. We are quite happy with our smaller space and it's just right. Our offices give us private space and time. The only time we use the LR is if Himself watches movies or I get the urge to play the keyboard. If it weren't for the fireplace smack in the middle of the outside wall, I'd divide the room in half. Best of all, it's fairly easy and quick to clean.

The Hooters thing is much ado about nothing, IMHO. Boys of any age can see girls dressed like that in grocery stores and at the mall, quite frankly. I don't see the big deal. I was a bit surprised about the church groups visiting (g).

William J. said...

Hi Pst

Sky Diving and Bunjee Jumping are two things I'm never doing. Standup I might do again.

I don't think I could live in 320 square feet. I just need more room that that to be a slob.

I also think Hooters is a yawner and the parents making a big deal out of will just make the kids want to go back.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We not only both of us ended up enjoying standup comedy we both would do it again. I am with you on heights. Being homeless would scare me to.

OK, we will look for a medium house for you. Wow did you ever have to down size. I bet it took a while to adjust. But it just seems perfect for you now.

That makes all of us thinking the Hooters thing is no big deal and making it so just makes it worse.

Bill