Friday, December 2, 2011

The Christmas Spirit

First up today is correcting a serious mistake I have made. With all that was going on with Mom while sister was gone I let DR & Himself's anniversary slip by. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Now I am doing my arm and leg stretches and getting in the right frame of mind to get into the Holiday Spirit. Articles like the following two certainly help get me in my Christmas Shopping game face:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/01/anonymous-good-samaritan-secret-santa-video_n_1123869.html?ref=impact&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk2%7C117115

Why am I never where they are handing out money? I'd most likely give it away anyhow. At least that is what Mom says.

http://www.katu.com/living/kids-pets-family/Santa-answers-the-mail-with-help-from-Gresham-postal-worker-134889508.html

Don't you just love Debbie?

Even when I am in the Christmas Spirit I sometimes feel like disappearing:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/wanderlust/top-5-disappearing-places-195437165.html


Comment Away.

The author of yesterday's quote was Jackie Kennedy. "I'm on top, I'm 35 years old, and there are other things I want to do. Physically, there is a lot of pain. I don't want to be hurt again. I have nothing left to prove. " Was authored by the first woman to win a Triple Crown Race who was born in 1963. In 2000 she became the first woman inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. She appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated for the issue of May 22, 1989. She is one of only eight jockeys so recognized (the others are Willie Shoemaker, Bill Hartack, Eddie Arcaro, Johnny Longden, John Sellers, Robyn Smith and Steve Cauthen). She also was the only woman to win riding championships at Belmont Park, Gulfstream Park, Monmouth Park, The Meadowlands and Atlantic City Race Course. Who authored today's quote?

6 comments:

dona said...

Happy Anniversary to DR and Himself!

And Bill, I am right there with you on disappearing. And I just love Debbie, anyone that can devote their personal time to anything such as that is very special in my book.

Pat said...

Very nice about the secret Santa. I like his plan of asking the recipients to pay it forward.

Yes, I love Debbie. And other postal workers I've seen reported on who do the same thing with the Santa letters.

So sad about the disappearing places. I've always wanted to see the Everglades, and I keep hearing they are already not what they were. And all the others... very, very sad.

Most Christmases I have those moments of wanting to disappear. Or have the holiday season disappear. I have it already this year. A little early even for Grinchy me.

Lady DR said...

Thanks, Dona and Bill. How could you have let slip what you probably didn't know about .

I love the Secret Santa and I also love his message about paying forward, that it doesn't have to be money, as in his case, but a random act of kindness. We need more like him.


Yes, you have to love Debbie, someone who keeps the dream and mystery alive. And bless her for reading those letters and getting help for those who need it, if she sees the need.

As to disappearing... I'd as soon do that this year, for some reason. I'd like to remember the Reason for the Season and do away with the the shopping and shipping and commercial aspects. Call me a Grinch.

William J. said...

Dona!!

Hope things are well. I bought a new sledgehammer for Christmas just in case you needed help with The Shankster!

Bill

PS

Give him my best.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I don't think you are Grinchy, I think you are normal.

I like the pay it forward thing to because so many more benefit.

The postal workers are so often complained about but most of them are darn good people.

I was really surprised at the things on the disappearing list. It is very sad.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Just like what I said to Pat. I'm not calling you Grinch, I am calling you normal.

The idea of random acts of kindess has always been one of my favorites. It takes so little time to make a lasting memory.

Debbie is the kind of person that goes above and beyond the call of duty. I want to be like her.

Bill