Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reunions & Head Shakers.

The plans are today and tomorrow at Mom's getting home late Thursday night and then Friday morning up early to go start and finish my Christmas shopping.

I just like reunion stories and I like them even more during the holidays:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/irving-roth-holocaust-survivor-rick-carrier-soldier-liberator-reunion_n_1129673.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk2%7C117901

Not really a reunion story but certainly kind of an amazing one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/04/judith-bello-missing-woman-found_n_1125849.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk2%7C117605

Now on to a story that just makes me shake my head:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/02/boy-7-accused-sexual-harassment-after-school-fight/?test=latestnews&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl17%7Csec3_lnk1%7C117207

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Ursula LeGuin authored yesterday's quote. "We can learn from history how past generations thought and acted, how they responded to the demands of their time and how they solved their problems. We can learn by analogy, not by example, for our circumstances will always be different than theirs were. The main thing history can teach us is that human actions have consequences and that certain choices, once made, cannot be undone. They foreclose the possibility of making other choices and thus they determine future events", was authored by a woman born in 1920
who fledin 1939 with her family to escape from the Nazis. As a young mother, she learned English and then became a writer, including the screenplay for Black Like Me. She returned to school in 1959, graduating from Columbia University with a Ph.D. in history in 1966. Her dissertation on the Grimke sisters is an early women's history classic. As a teacher, mentor, and director of the first graduate degree program in women's history, her work has been integral in the field. The idea for Women's History Week -- which evolved into Women's History Month -- began at an institute that was offered through her work at Sarah Lawrence College. Did you ever think about BLACK WOMEN IN WHITE AMERCA: A Documentary History? If so you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Nice reunion story. And a bit amazing after 66 years. Interesting that the "lost" woman announced she'd been found. Sort of. She apparently abandoned two kids and now has three more, so it might be best if she stayed "lost". Except maybe for the kids... they're pretty well screwed either way, I imagine. Do I sound unforgiving? Well, yeah.

As to the kids' fight, why can't we just get along?

Lady DR said...

Great reunion story, Bill. What a meeting it must have been, given the way they "met" and to see each other again after so long.

The story about the missing woman just makes me shake my head. I understand running from domestic violence, but to leave a child or children behind, to be exposed to possible violence? I don't think so. I'm wondering what prompted her to step forward, after all these years.

The school boy issue is just not right, as if there are missing pieces. If the accused had, in fact, been attacked by the other boy on the bus, I'd certainly think he felt he needed to defend himself. And while fighting never solves anything, it's a stretch for me get a kick to the groin to a charge of sexual harassment. Were there no witnesses - no other kids, the driver? Sounds to me like several missing pieces of information here. As Pat says, "Why can't we play nice?" Maybe because we don't have a lot folks providing examples of what that means?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The reunion story tugged at my heart the lost woman didn't. I wonder if the kids she abandoned will be her any attention at all. She really doesn't deserve any.

Why do kids have to fight. They should get along but I will admit to getting in a fight in the third grade and kicking the kid in the groin. I got sent home. No sex charges.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The reunion just makes me want to cry for so many reasons. I am glad they got together before either died.

I agree with the head shaking about the missing woman. If she was suffering from domestic abuse how safe are the kids going to be when they are left behind in the enviornment? A mother's first instinct is usually to protect her children. Her first instinct was to protect herself.

A kick to the groin to a charge of sexual harassment is just royally stupid.

Bill