Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oyster Talk, Fried Rice, & Cell Phones.

Last day at Mom's. She is playing bridge this afternoon so I will get a break there. I will take her to bridge at 12:30 and pick her up at 4:30. I plan to have dinner ready for her. The caregiver won't get there until 9:30 so I will stay until close to then. Looking forward doing my own thing tomorrow. I've tried to play bridge before but it is just a different language for me. Speaking of different languages:

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-scientists-study-oyster-language-074401511.html

From language to food:


http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2011-12-05/Researchers-call-for-monitoring-of-arsenic-levels-in-rice/51657062/1

From food to cell phones:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/12/survey-at38t-rates-last-in-customer-satisfaction/1

Comment Away.

QUOTE

Gerda Lerner authored yesterday's quote. "Peace as a positive condition of society, not merely as an interim between wars, is something so unknown that it casts no images on the mind's screen", was authored by a poet who lived from 1923 until 1997. She was raised in Britain, worked and lived in America through most of her career. Her poetry is notable for its social content, particularly feminism and themes of peace. In her later poems, she turned to religious themes. She served in the 1960s as poetry editor of The Nation and in 1975-78 as poetry editor for Mother Jones magazine. Have you ever lived life WITH EYES AT THE BACK OF OUR HEADS? If so you can tell me who authored today's quote.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Oysters "talk"? Who knew? Fascinating stuff!

Good grief! First they tell us the apple juice we all fed our kids is loaded with arsenic, and now rice! What else are we poisoning ourselves with, I wonder?

Interesting that people with prepaid and/or smaller providers are happiest with the service. It's probably because they, like me, are the ones that only want to make the occasional phone call. The more bells & whistles, the more dissatisfaction, I imagine. Not that I wouldn't like all the whizzy stuff, but I don't run in circles where anybody uses it, so I'd probably end up not using any of it myself.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am trying to envision talks betwen a couple of oysters. Want to play the shell game? How about we meet in the Pearl (there is a very affluent district here called The Pearl)

I thing we just need to live are lives and ignore all the warnings. We are all going to die sometime anyhow might as well be while we are eating something good.

Interesting comment about the more bells and whistles the unhappier customers will be. I think you are right on!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Enjoy your afternoon off!

I never imagined oysters "talking" to each other.

Every time we turn around, there's something supposedly good for us that's bad for us, going back to the big cranberry fiasco many years ago. I'm with Bill - something is going to kill us, but I'm not sure it's going to be food, unless it's been tampered with.

The cell phone thing... we have Verizon and, mostly, I'm pretty happy with them. I don't like having to get the smart phones for the free trade ins, because we don't use any of the stuff. I do like the fact the whole family is on Verizon, so all calls between us are no cost and don't go against the minutes allotment. Since 90% of my calls are to family, it's a big cost savings. Plus, switching the land line to Verizon gives me totally unlimited calling anywhere in the US to anybody. When we did more traveling, it was important to know we had coverage just about anywhere we went. It's all about tradeoffs, I guess.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Who did think about oysters talking to each other? I certainly didn't.

I remember growing every year right around Thanksgiving there would be news reports about something in the Thanksgiving dinner that caused cancer. One year it was cranberriest, one year it was the turkey. Nothing came of either. If the arsenic levels were that high in the foods that caused a few deaths I think we would have heard of them by now and there would have been a ton of lawsuits.

I also have Verizon. I am actually considering a smart phone because I am fascinated with the bells and whistles. I mostly keep a cell phone for travel. With AAA and travel you are never out of touch if you need help.

Bill