Monday, February 21, 2011

Bats & Brains With A Hero On The Side.

Let's start out the week with some really good news on aging and the middle-aged mind:

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/02/forget_about_it_middle-aged_br.html

You know I love young heroes. Here is another one:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/18/missouri-first-grader-justin-kastanis-saves-aunt-with-911-call/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C202482

I'm closing with a warning. Watch out, bats could be coming to your neighborhood:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110218/od_nm/us_australia_bats

Start our your week by leaving a comment and then enjoy the rest of the week.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1929 and am an American television producer and one of the founders of the Children's Television Workshop. I was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame and the Television Hall of Fame. I am married to a former U.S. Secretary of Commerce. Unable to have children of my own, she became a stepmother to his five children. My paternal grandfather fought in Georgia during the American Civil War, on the Confederate side. Growing up I described myself as "just a grim, over-wrought little kid.". I was never able to keep up with my siblings. For high school I went to a public high school while my siblings went to a private school. I feel this separation, that she was no longer "their little sister,] let her come into her own. In school plays and even state-wide drama contests I was sure she wanted to become an actress. I describes myself as the "world's happiest adolescent" I stopped acting in college when my father expressed that he would never support such a career. When I moved to New York City I was hired in the press department of RCA where I wrote regular releases, on prediction of what television would be like in the future, from shopping for groceries, and color transmissions. I would later become involved in the Democratic reform movement, led by Eleanor Roosevelt, helping it write releases about its activities. A center named after me was founded to study the role of digital technologies in childhood literacy. Elmo, Grover, Big Bird and the Cookie Monster know who I am. Search who created the street those characters lived on and you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'd love to see some bats flying around the neighborhood. As long as they weren't vampire bats that carry rabies.

I suppose that's good news about the middle-aged mind, but having passed middle age a while back, I can't say I'm personally reassured.

Good for the 911 kid, and good for the parents who taught him well.

Lady DR said...

Good news on the middle aged mind. I still say much of it is system overload, regardless of whether your fifty or eighty.

Good for both the young man and his parents. What a blessing they taught him what to do and how to do it.

The bats... where do you draw the line and where do you place your priorities? I know bats have very positive effects on the environment, but this sounds as if they're not helping it any.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I would prefer the bats to be in someone else's neighborhood besides mine.

When I think of you, I don't think of someone that has reached middle age.

It is amazing how retentive young kids are in emergencies.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I agree with you about overload, I know I am a lot more forgetful during tax season.

It surprises me not only that people that young can be taught but that they remember it in a crisis. It just amazes me.

There were way to many bats to help, they became a problem instead of a blessing.

Bill