Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Heroes In All Sizes & Shapes.

Everyone once in a while I like to do a post about heroes. Everyday heroes.

They come as young as eight years old:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/15/oklahoma-third-grader-delivers-baby-brother-with-help-from-grea/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C201555

They can be famous or talented.

http://www.theboot.com/2011/02/14/craig-morgan-rescue-house-fire/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C201337

Or they can just be someone starting out to honoring her mother for a pre-set period of time and being so touched by the action that she not only can't stop giving a hundred dollars a day to strangers but that she serves as inspiration of teachers and students.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/02/portland_woman_who_gave_away_1.html

Comment early and comment often!

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1917 and died in 2000 and although Bill has heard of me he didn't know much about my background. I am a Pulitzer Prize winner for poetry and was appointed Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress. Mr mother was a former school teacher who left teaching for marriage and motherhood, and my father was the son of a runaway slave who fought in the Civil War, had given up his ambition to become a doctor to work as a janitor because he could not afford to attend medical school. My enthusiasm for reading and writing was encouraged by my parents. My father provided a desk and bookshelves, and my mother took took me to meet Harlem Renaissance poets Langston Hughes and James Weldon Johnson. I published my first poem in a children's magazine at the age of thirteen. When I was sixteen years old, I had compiled a portfolio of around seventy-five published poems. I was once named one the “Ten Young Women of the Year” in Mademoiselle magazine. I was invited at age forty-five by JFK to read at a Library of Congress poetry festival. I was also inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame and was was presented with the National Medal of Arts. Other awards I received included the Frost Medal, the Shelley Memorial Award, and an award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. I was awarded more than seventy-five honorary degrees from colleges and universities worldwide. I was married and had to children. Have you ever been on A STREET IN BRONZEVILLE? Go there and answer the question, Who Am I?

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

Great stories, Bill. I love everyday heroes. The young man who helped deliver his baby brother is something else. It had to be scary for him and the maturity he showed in the face of an emergency is really impressive.

Craig Morgan is one of "our own," as country music buffs say (g). I knew he'd done tours for the troops, but hadn't realized how many. And, if any of you haven't heard the song or watched the video, I encourage you to do so. It's pretty powerful.

I remember you reporting on Ginsberg several months ago and was delighted to see the follow up. I'm glad she's continuing her giving and so happy to see how her story has inspired others. I think the teacher deserves a bunch of gold stars, for encouraging her class to meet a similar challenge.

Thanks for a lovely way to end my afternoon.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am going to try to feature everyday heroes once a month if I can.

The boy that helped deliver his brother did something that I don't think I could do, I'd pass out.

The video and the song were powerful. Craig Morgan is now one of my favorites.

I think what the teacher is doing could help do away with bullying if students do like the one student that went up and talked to people he hadn't before, it breaks down barriers.

Bill