Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Dogs & Super Feats.

I was happy to see Green Bay win the Super Bowl. It was a great game. Now football goes back on the shelf for another year and maybe more if a labor agreement between the players and the owners can't be reached.

Before today's post some of the highlights from the Super Bowl. Christina Aguilera flubbed the national anthem before the game. She repeated one line twice and missed a few other notes. The halftime show that is usually pretty good, really stunk. The ads during the game were good but not great. Although the USA Today Ranked this ad forty-third it is by far my favorite. I think it is well worth the time to watch this commercial:

http://superbowlads.fanhouse.com/2011/chrysler-eminem/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C199843

You can also see all of the ads at the above link, just click on the quarter. You can also see how USA Today ranked the ads at the following link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2011-02-07-2011-ad-meter-chart_N.htm

Looks like Dogs won by a landslide.

Now on to today's post. Let's start out with an incredible feat:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/07/marathon-man-stefaan-engels-runs-365-marathons-in-a-year/

I can't help but wonder how much damage he did to his knees but still it was one heck of an accomplishment.

From an incredible journey to an incredible story:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/05/buried-in-snow-for-hours-wisconsin-man-saved-by-neighbors/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%7C199592

Thank goodness for neighbors.

Of course, you know your comments are always welcome.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1844 and died in 1926. I was an American painter and printmaker. I lived much of my adult life in France. I often created images of the social and private lives of women with particular emphasis on the intimate bonds between mothers and children. My father was a successful stockbroker and my mother came from a banking family. Even though my family objected to me becoming a professional artist I began studying painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. I continued my studies during the years of the American Civil War. Impatient with the slow pace of instruction and the patronizing attitude of male students and teachers I decided to study the old masters on my own. I augmented my artistic training with daily copying in the Louvre (I obtained the required permit, which was necessary to control the “copyists”, usually low-paid women, who daily filled the museum to paint copies for sale). The museum served as a social meeting place for Frenchmen and American female students, who were not allowed to attend cafes where the avant-garde socialized. Returning to the United States in the late summer of 1870—as the Franco-Prussian War was starting—I lived with my family. My father continued to resist my chosen vocation, and paid for my basic needs but not art supplies. I often saw that works by female artists were dismissed with contempt. If you don't know who I am by now maybe you should think about TWO WOMEN THROWING FLOWERS DURING A CARNIVAL. That should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

No comments on football. {g} But I did hear Aguilera's butchering of the anthem on the radio later. Amazing.

A marathon every day?? Good grief, this guy is crazy. Or made of sterner stuff than ordinary humans.

And yes, let's hear it for neighbors. Amazing that that guy survived so well. I guess freezing isn't all bad.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

There was one speculation that Aguilera did it on purpose for publicity.

I also thought the marathon guy was crazy.

It amazes me the snow guy didn't freeze. And it made me think of The Shankster and his falls.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Glad to see the Green Bay win. Himself watched the game, I joined him the last half, but only as it was a good excuse to knit. Yes, like the ad you featured, especially "Imported from Detroit." I think more people need to be aware of *where* products come from and the people and cities who produce them. Might make them look a bit harder for American made products.

I can't imagine running a marathon every day. Hope this guy knows a good ortho, who does knee replacements.

Great story on the neighbors. Quite frankly, I'm all for "nosy" neighbors, when their purpose is to watch over one another.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Imported from Detroit was the reason I liked that ad and the movie reader board with "Detroit is beautiful." It as a non-violent ad and positive.

Your reaction about knee replacement was the same to the marathon man as mine.

I also like nosy neighbors. It makes me feel safer.

Bill