Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Those Clowns In Congress.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was one of the founders of Sesame Street, Joan Ganz Cooney.

I am a little disturbed about what is on the horizon in the good old Portland area. It has only happened four times in the history of Portland. Accumulation of snow in February. Today the temperatures start decreasing and by Wednesday night a snow storm is expected to hit are dropping as much as six inches on our ground floor. I've already made up my mind if that happens I'm staying home from work. I'm a really good driver in the snow but a lot of those that get on the road aren't really used to driving in the snow and make it dangerous for everyone else. The worst drivers are the ones with the four wheel drive SUV's because they get overconfident and go to fast and follow to close for the road conditions. This is a seasonal job that I may or may not go back to next year, I don't see the sense in risking life and limb by getting on the road under these circumstances. What do you think I should do?

What to know what the clowns in Congress are up to?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110217/od_nm/us_brazil_clown_odd

Speaking of government employees does the background of the government employee in the following article bother you?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/21/accused-killer-raymond-davis-us-diplomat-in-pakistan-or-cia-spy/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C202747

While I am disturbed about the snow and bothered about killers working for the government, I am really pleased with the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_germany_married_catholic_priest;_ylt=Ao429a1vSHUlRW5ooYi9Im2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQ2N2x1bXVnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIyL2V1X2dlcm1hbnlfbWFycmllZF9jYXRob2xpY19wcmllc3QEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDbWFycmllZGdlcm1

Are you glad the church bent the rules to add a really qualified priest to the church?

Off to work. I'm going to try to work a little longer today and tomorrow and then take of Thursday. Comment away.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think your decision to drive or not should be based on safety concerns, not work concerns. One day of work missed won't kill anyone, and I'm sure others will be missing also.

Now the articles: Funny clown. I like his campaign promise, but he'd better get his voting act together.

I'm not generally in favor of diplomatic immunity at all, and this case sounds particularly fishy. He says he shot the two guys in self-defense, others think not. So what other reason might there have been? Who were the victims? No story I've seen has an answer to those questions.

Nice to see the Catholic Church bending a little. They are desperate for more priests and nuns these days. To me, the whole celibacy thing is just stupid and causes much more trouble than it averts. I wonder if the Pope will insist that some of these married couples become celibate but let others off the hook. And I wonder how many will follow his instructions.

Lady DR said...

My other friend in Portland mentioned the snow warning this AM. Answer to your question: Stay home. I realize you guys are more accustomed to snow than we are, but six inches create hazardous driving conditions for anyone, depending on how fast the plows and sand trucks get out and I totally agree it's the other drivers one needs to worry about. If it eases your conscience, take home a bunch of files Wednesday night and work there.

I like the clown's platform, but perhaps he needs a bit more instruction and practice in how to work the machines (g)

I think the whole thing about the guy in Pakistan is way too murky. If he was Special Forces, he wouldn't need ten shots to take down two guys in self defense. And I honestly don't trust our gov't, when it comes to special ops in any of the agencies, sad to say.

Yes, glad to see bending of the rules. Like Pat, I really don't understand the celibacy thing. I can find no foundation for it and I tend to agree with many who've contended that if priests aren't allowed to marry, should they choose to do so, they're missing some practical experience on how to deal with couples and individuals who are having relationship problems, troubles with kids, issues in their marriages. Ditto nuns, who are often called upon to counsel. A part of me sorta understands about serving only God, yet I've never found anything in the Bible that says a man must be single and celibate to minister to others. Granted, it appears the Disciples were all single and many of the Apostles, but I've no knowledge of anything demanding that as a condition. Then again, I'm neither Catholic or theologian.

I see Pat and I are pretty much on the same page on all of this. Imagine my surprise.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You are right on, Pat, and that is what I am going to do, I've already made my mind up to take Thursday off.

I loved the clown but the poor guy blew it out of the shoot. He needs to spend some time learning the system.

I am not in favor of diplomatic immunity, ever. The case has a lot of holes in it and someone is lying.

I'm also with you about the celibacy thing, thing it is completely bogus and had they not had it maybe their wouldn't have been so much sexual abuse within the church.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The word now is it will be seven inches and come in tomorrow night right about commute time. Not going to take files home, I am going to use the day to catch up on my own clients.

The clown did everything right except learn how to vote!

Good point about Special forces not needing ten shots! I missed that. Nobody really trusts out government, including me.

That makes three of us that don'tt understand the celibacy thing. I also think the priests and nuns are missing a lot of learning that would be usueful in their profession by not being married.

Bill