Monday, February 28, 2011

Miscellaneous Monday.

My Oscar Summary will be tomorrow due to car troubles. I will just say that after a bad start co-hosts James Franco & Anne Hathaway did a good enough job just void of humor. Billy Crystal's appearance made me wish he was the one hosting. Other than an F bomb dropped by Melisa Leo, the best supporting actress winner, the Oscar's were pretty boring. If you want to see the winners just look at yesterday's post and my will win (WW) picks. I only missed two and in those two The King's Speech won for original screenplay and original score.

Let's start the week with what I would defined as a charming story related to the Oscars.

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2011/02/24/how-an-11-year-old-entrepreneur-crashed-the-oscars/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%7C203578

Let's continue the day with a very troubling story:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/27/horrific-us-medical-experiments-come-to-light/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C203752

Let's end the day with a warning of online scams to watch out for.

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/24/fbi-2010-a-banner-year-for-online-crime/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C203773

I hope you are looking forward to your week and I am looking forward to your comments.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1926 and died in 2004. I was a Swiss-born psychiatrist, a pioneer in Near-death studies and the author of a groundbreaking book. I am an inductee into the National Women's Hall of Fame and received twenty honorary degrees and had taught by m estimation, 125,000 students in death and dying courses in colleges, seminaries, medical schools, hospitals, and social-work institutions. I propsed the now famous Five Stages of Grief as a pattern of adjustment. These five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. In general, individuals experience most of these stages, though in no defined sequence, after being faced with the reality of their impending death. The five stages have since been adopted by many as applying to the survivors of a loved one's death, as well. I conducted many workshops on AIDS in different parts of the world. I suffered a series of strokes in 1995 which left me partially paralyzed on her left side. One of my greatest wishes was to build a hospice for infants and children infected with AIDS to give them a last home where they could live until their passing, inspired by the aid-project of British doctor Cicely Saunders. What one of the FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF will you be in if you can't answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry to hear you have car problems, Bill. I hope it's nothing serious.

I didn't see the Oscars at all, due to other commitments and houseguests (now on their way home), and didn't have enough interest to tape it. Apparently I didn't miss much. I'm glad KING'S SPEECH won as many awards as it did. I'll even see it as soon as it hits DVD.

"Love Gone" is a weird idea for the name of a clothing line or anything else, but I wish the 11 y/o good luck with her t-shirts.

Pretty horrible stuff about the medical experiments on prisoners and the mentally ill. But we've known about a lot of it for a long time, so why now? Not a bad idea to have a "Bioethics Commission", but I hope they focus on today, not on past horrors.

Interesting that CA seems to be at the top of the list for both victims and criminals in the online crime department. Also interesting that most foreign online criminals were from Canada, Nigeria, and the UK. I'm not surprised by Nigeria, but I am by the other two. I hope they really do go after cyber-crime as actively as possible.

Lady DR said...

Bummer of the car problems. Like Pat, hope they're easily fixed.

Aside from the story on the little girl, I find the other two more depressing than I want to discuss. Yes, we've heard about these and they were fifty-plus years ago, so I echo Pat's question" Why now?" Because "someone" thinks such things may still be occurring? As to the scams, I really do wish these people would use their "creative" talents of various sorts for positive purposes. I think there are a lot of areas where they could help, rather than harm.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The car goes to the garage in the morning. The starter is the problem.

It was one of the most boring Oscar telecasts ever. I think someone said that James Franco was so bad that he was going to go to 127 to root for the rock. I know you will love THE KING'S SPEECH.

Love gone is a weird title for a clothing line by an eleven year-old.

That stuff is still going on in the military and it is just tragic.

It doesn't surprise me that California is at the top of the list, they have the most population. It does surprise me that Canada and The UK are so involvied. Nigeria I have heard about several scemes from there of the years.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Tomorrow's post will be more to your liking. Some laughs scheduled.

I completely agree with and I think of everytime there is hacker or somebody is arrested for a crime that took some thinking. If they would put that brain to use doing good thing what a better world it will be.

Bill