Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Sunday Update

Oscar Sunday is here and after the short update and a couple of articles I will make a statement about each of the nominated movies for best picture. My guess is the headlines tomorrow will be "THE KING'S SPEECH" SWEEPS AWARDS. This is the first year in a will that a picture will that is doing well at the box office and that people actually like. I think they should hire the featured star in the next article to give a thumbs up to every winner:

http://www.urlesque.com/2011/02/24/jimmy-thumbs-up-cat/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk3%7C203440

My update. Last year one dinner out at with family. One lunch with Mom. One snow day where I caught up on my own work. The movie UNKNOWN, which is better than the critics rated it. Four days of work. Next week some of my own work and five days on the job. Today lunch with Mom and the couch potato city for Oscar Sunday. That's My update.
Next up is an article about what you can and can't deduct on your taxes.

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/25/is-it-deductible-we-evaluate-12-common-expenses/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk1%7C203593

I do think the in some cases some things that were said to be flatly non-deductible under certain circumstances would be deductible. Exercise machines MAY be deductible if a doctor writes you a prescription for a machine as part of a rehab from a medical issue like a stroke. Bus passes May be deductible if you buy them as gift for a business associate or an employee ($25 annual limit on both). Let's also say you are married and only have one car and one of you is self-employed. Every time you have to meet with a client your wife drops you off at the transit center, where you then bus to your meeting with a client. I'd deduct the bus pass and I'd fight the IRS for it. Depending on the age of the children and the income of the parents some private school tuition MAY be deductible if the school separates their cost on the bill between daycare AFTER school and tuition during school. This article is an example of how you should never make blanket statements where IRS rules are concerned.

Entertainment update: Dancing With Stars cast announced tomorrow night. Nobody was eliminated from The Amazing Race. Dale was eliminated on Top Chef. Here is my rundown on the best picture nominees:

Black Swan - abuse, sexual situations, two footballs.

King Speech - overcoming odds and developing lifelong friends - best movie in years - five footballs and that is shorting changing it.

The Fighter - drug use, boxer making a comeback, inspiring - four footballs.

Toy Story 3 - touching animated movie, kids going away to college, four footballs

Inception - dream sequences, well acted - four footballs.

True Grit - remake, good western, well acted, downgraded for unnecessary animal cruelty - Three Footballs.

Winter's Born - girl in search of dad, poverty, well acted - three footballs.

The Social Network - true story, well acted, rich boys being mean to each other - four footballs.

127 - didn't see can't comment other than to say - true story, limb cut off.

Kids Are All Right - lesbian relationship, mild sex scenes, relationships and parenting - Three and a half footballs.

.MY PICKS. KEY - WW = WILL WIN SW= WIN IW - I WANT TO WIN.

BEST MOVIE:

The King's Speech - WW, SW, IW

BEST ACTOR

Colin Firth For The King's Speech - WW, SW, IM

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLEU?

Christian Bale for The Fighter - WW

Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech - SW, IW

BEST ACTRESS

Natalie Portman for Black Swan - WW, IW

Annette Bening for Kids Are All Right -SW

BEST ACTRESS UB A SUPPORTING ROLE

Amy Adams for The Fighter - SW

Melissa Leo for The Fighter - WW

Hailee Steinfeld For True Grit - IW

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Toy Story 3 - SW, WW, IW


CINEMATOGOPHRY

Inception - WW

True Grit - SW, IW


DIRECTING

The King's Speech - IW, WW

The Social Network - SW


MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

The King's Speech - IW

The Social Network - SW, WW

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
From Toy Story 3 "We Belong Together"
Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

The Social Network - WW, SW

A True Grit - IW

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

The Fighter - WW

The King's Speech - SW, IW

The blog is now yours, fire away with your comments and catch me up with what you have been doing last week and or going to do next week.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Why in the world are breast pumps tax deductible? If that's the case, then exercise equipment and health club mbrships for health recovery or management of illness/disorders should be equally so, IMHO.

Slow week. Work, pool, line dance. Hip flared again, radiating to shoulder, which put paid to the yard time I'd hoped for (beautiful day today - we go from cold and blustery one day to sunny sixties the next on an alternating basis). Started working with Himself and his bro on their website - my job is to (a) edit and (b) "break" it, something I was very good at when working with SNW in Alaska. The programmers often made the sign of the cross when I appeared in the doors to their offices (G). After spending a few minutes showing me something on my computer, Himself has decreed I need a larger screen monitor and a new wireless keyboard (only because there are only six keys that don't have the letters worn off in the main section). OD has a large screen on sale this week, but finding a wireless ergonomic keyboard could be a challenge. Next week is search for above, work, pool, blood tests and PT massage. As you can see, it's a happening place around here (wry s)

Pat said...

I totally missed the Oscars tonight. We were at the Linux Conference until about 6:30, then were starving and headed out to dinner. So I'll catch the winners later. Even though I haven't seen it yet, I hope KING'S SPEECH clobbers the competition.

Yesterday there was actual news here. It SNOWED in Burbank! Enough for little piles on the side of the streets by the time we got back to town... maybe some snowballs, not enough to sled or anything, but still a wonder in SoCA. Daughter and I totally missed it as we were at a Linux Conference out by LAX and didn't see the light of day at all from 9 a.m. until about 5. Sorry I missed that! SIL looked it up for me, and it happened twice before, in 1949 and 1950.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I guess breast pumps are allowed because someone challenged the IRS and won.

Doesn't sound like a slow win at all to me. Sounds like a pretty busy one. Sorry about the hip flaring up. Your weather sounds like ours, it has been a big year.
Bro and Himself are lucky to have you! I'm all for larger monitors!!

Your next week sounds even busier than your last! Hope the blood tests go well!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

All you have to do is read my picks for yesterday to know the results. I missed two. The King's Speech won both original screenplay and original score and I had picked the Fighter & Social Network for those two.

totally missed the Oscars tonight. We were at the Linux Conference until about 6:30, then were starving and headed out to dinner. So I'll catch the winners later. Even though I haven't seen it yet, I hope KING'S SPEECH clobbers the competition.

The confernce sounds interseting but it is hard to spend a complete day in any seminar.

Snow in LA? You couldn't pay me to get on the freeways if that happened. It is interesting that the last two times snow fell there were in back to back years.

Bill