Saturday, February 5, 2011

Naps, Left-Handers, & Life-Savers.

I found a couple more of success to failure stories. There was a man who was charged and publicly humiliated by a district attorney, for doing fraud and misleading the public into buying his company stocks. He mislead people by a mere claim that he could transmit human voices across the Atlantic ocean. He then went on to invent triode tubes his name was Lee De Forest.

Let's talk health. We all know sleep and a good nap is an important part of being healthy. I'm just not sure this is an appropriate time for someone to take a nap:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/04/pilot-falls-into-deep-sleep-on-sas-flight/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%7C199337

Are you left handed? I am left-handed. Well, I do two things left-handed, write and eat. Everything else I do right handed. In a way I'm kind of glad I only do two things left-handed because the rumor has it that being left handed is going to the birds:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110203/od_nm/us_parrots_hands

Back to health. Here are eight things to do to help you add years to you lives. I scored about sixty percent. The thing that bothered me was the article said eight things but listed five.

http://www.aolhealth.com/2011/02/03/aging-gracefully-8-tricks-to-add-years-to-your-life/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk1%7C199320

Tomorrow is Super Sunday so I hope today is a Super Saturday for you. Comment at will.

PS

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Hiram Bingham IV. I wanted to thank DR for her comment "It never ceases to amaze me, the number of "everyday heroes" we never hear about, who accomplished such amazing deeds in the interest of humanity and their fellow man. One of the reasons I love your "who am I" section." One of the reasons I love doing the Who Am I is how much I learn from it. Hiram Bingham IV came up in another Who Am I that I researched. Hannah Arndt was on of the Jews he saved.

7 comments:

Lady DR said...

Again, interesting articles and a great "failure" story.

Naps are great, but not so much while working. The one question I have is the pilot's statement about four hours sleep. I'd be curious to know if this was by choice (he was having a good time) or because of his schedule, given he had five flights to do in one day. How many had he done the day before and why only four hours sleep?

The parrot thing is interesting. So is the human thing. You do things with both hands. I'm mostly right-handed, but do a few things with my left. Remember when we took the right/left brain test and discovered most of us here were pretty much bi-lateral (if that's the term)?

The health thing - you have to click on the "religion" button to get the last three items, I discovered. The last three are spirituality (regardless of chosen religion and church going, although the latter adds some increase), attitude towards aging (do you accept it or resent it) and being happy (family, community, activities and such). The article reminds me I'm remiss in regular flossing, although I should be a believer. Many years ago, a friend of ours in Clearwater lost her brother to bacterial infection of the heart, which was traced back to bacterial infection in his mouth. It seems the man didn't like dentists and saw one only if he needed a filling or had an emergency. Who knew?

dona said...

I think the pilot falling asleep is a little scary. Even though I don't fly anymore, it might make me think twice now, and it makes you wonder how much of this is really going on that you don't hear about?

As usual, lots of interesting articles and facts that we sometimes didn't know. A while back I remember hearing about the flossing somewhere else, although I didn't know it before then, and wonder if you start it later in life will it still work? :)

Lady DR said...

Dona - yes, the flossing will work as soon as you begin doing it.

Like you, we don't fly anymore and I hope I'm never forced into it, but this is just one more good reason to stay on the ground and in the RV (wry s)

Pat said...

I thought there were recent new rules limiting flight time so that pilots didn't get that exhausted. Flight attendants, too. But maybe I'm wrong and they just talked about it.

I'm right-handed for most things, though I once moved my trackball to the left hand when I found I was over-using the right in various ways.

I do a few of the things on the list, and have never really minded aging. Forget the religion stuff, though. And my sex life is lost in the mists of memory. {s}

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Sorry it took me so long to respond but I was up all night flossing.

As I get older even a ten minute nap refreshes me but I really don't take them when I am driving.
My guess is the pilot was having a good time because like Pat said they have FAA rules that prevent pilots from flying over a period of time.

I liked the parrot story too and I do think the reason a lot of use both sides of our brain is that we are well adjusted.

Thanks about the religion button I was kind of confused on why there was only five, now I know it was I and not they. I do think attitude towards aging is important.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I don't fly anymore either and every time I think I will give it a try again then a story like this comes out.

Teeth are like the liver for drinkers. If heavy drinkers quit drinking then sometimes the liver will repair itself. Flossing is the same way, it is never to late to start.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

I'm at the age where food has repleced sex, I even put a mirror over my kitchen table.

There are rules limiting flying time but if the pilot doesn't tell them or is out partying all night I don't know know how the airlines would know.

Maybe you have the ability to use both hands but you have just been so used to using the right hand that you have just stuck with it.

Bill