Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dogs and Heroes.

Did you know that Mark Twain, the genius writer who is now recognized as the "father of American literature," was not educated beyond elementary school?

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Melanie Klein.

First up sometimes a Dog's life is not a good life for a dog but for others as well:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/02/133407830/dogs-earn-more-cred-for-sniffing-out-cancer?sc=fb&cc=fp

I am really learning to love dogs and robots.

All my life I've had a crush on Mona Lisa. Now I may be suffering a sexual identity crisis:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/mona-lisa-was-portrait-of-a-man-says-expert_1197868

Can a man have such expressive eyes as Mona Lisa?

OK, a stern warning. Before reading the next story, get the tissues out.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/02/george_fox_graduation_ceremony.html

If this man isn't an everyday hero then I know not what the definition of an everyday hero is.

Looking forward to your contributions to today's post.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I hope they find out what the dogs can smell and how we can learn to identify it. Think of all the expensive and invasive tests we might avoid.

As to Mona Lisa, I've never quite understood the hype. It's a nice painting. Beyond that, so what? Somebody commented after that article that Italians have known for a long time that the model was male.

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I've heard rumors the model for the Mona Lisa was a man and, if you look at it closely, some of the features might be considered more masculine than feminine. None of which takes away from the beauty of the painting nor the meaning so many have put behind it.

The article on the dogs is great. I dunno - quite frankly, I'd much rather be sniffed and snuffled by a dog than go through CTs and invasive testing and all the other stuff involved in diagnostics.They quibble about costs of training dogs, but what are we spending on all the technology currently being employed, some of which is actually less accurate? It would be wonderful if they could figure out just *what* the dogs are detecting through their smelling. Meantime, given a choice, I'll take the dog, thankyouverymuch.

The graduation article was wonderful. I can only imagine what an inspiration this man was to the others in his cohert and, I suspect, to his instructors. It was pretty obvious he was well loved by them, watching the video. I hope they bury his cap and gown with him. Yes, definitely an everyday hero. Thank you for sharing.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The dogs would save thousands. It could also provide a warning at home to get treatment.

It is interesting that it hasn't come out before that the Mona Lisa was male, it probably should have come out a while back when they were saying her eyes held codes.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am definitely am the most clueless amongst us because I never even considered Mona Lisa being a man until I read the article.

I'm with you I'd much rather be sniffed and snullfed by a dog than a machine that could possibly send off radiation vibes. Personally I think the costs of training dogs pale in consideration the mone that would be saved. Just the cost of one machine could train 100 dogs.

I really did shed a few tears at the graduation article. I was also very pleased with the college and the professors. That they would go to the trouble of bringing the graduation to the hospital shows me it is a caring college with a caring staff. What a great idea to bury his cap gown with him.

Bill