Friday, February 18, 2011

Fun Friday

Just fun articles today. Some of you may not think are fun but I like to see the humor in everything because ten minutes of straight laughter can burn a lot of calories. Don't believe me?

http://www.thatsfit.com/2011/02/15/50-ways-to-burn-100-calories/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk1%7C202028

I am already planning my weekend get away to a farm where I can milk cows and shear sheep.

I ran out of failure to success stories but the following article is inspirational in some ways.

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2011/02/09/we-dont-need-no-education-meet-the-millionaire-dropouts/

Growing up in our home, going to college was pretty much required, we didn't know we had any other option. My parents started talking college when we were little tykes. I've kind of always thought just maybe college wasn't for everyone. However, I loved college.

Looking for a place to get married? Looking for a clean place that won't cost you a fortune? Then maybe Hong Kong has the right idea:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110214/od_nm/us_hongkong_mcdonalds_odd

Looking forward to your comments.

Who Am I?

I was born in 1363 and died in 1430 and was a Venetian-born woman of the medieval era who strongly challenged misogyny and stereotypes prevalent in the male-dominated realm of the arts. As a poet I was well known and highly regarded. I spent most of my childhood and all of her adult life primarily in Paris. My early courtly poetry is marked by my knowledge of aristocratic custom and fashion of the day, particularly involving women and the practice of chivalry. I earned my accolade as Europe’s first professional woman writer. I married iat the age of 15 and was widowed 10 years later. Much of the impetus for my writing came from her need to earn a living for herself and her three children. I successfully educated myself by immersing myself in languages, in the rediscovered classics and humanism of the early Renaissance, and in Charles V’s royal archive that housed a vast number of manuscripts. I married Etienne, a royal secretary to the court and bore three children, a daughter (who went to live at the Dominican Abbey in Poissy in 1397 as a companion to the king's daughter, Marie), a son Jean, and another child who died in childhood. Have you read THE BOOK OF THE CITY OF LADIES? Then maybe you can respond to THE ROMANCE OF THE ROSE and answer the question, Who Am I?

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

Yes, I knew laughter burned calories. Some of the other stuff I think is interesting, although I'm not sure how practical (G). So, when do you leave for the farm.

I found the millionaire article interesting. Never knew those guys had no college degrees. I'm like you - not sure college degrees are for everyone, but also think the college experience may benefit a lot of people. I do think having a passion for or serious interest in a field makes a huge difference. Himself's degrees are all in education, but his career was in IT and electronics and that's where he continues to earn money, altho he's supposed to be retired.

Ummm... somehow, I'm just not ready for McDonald's weddings quite yet.

William J. said...

Hi DR

You have to get to the farm really early to milk the cows. I also thought a lot of the items on the list weren't very practical.

I am with you about passion. And there were a couple of millionaire stories where they did exactly what Himself did. Being successful in an occupation other than what they were trained for.

I think I wouldn't have my wedding at McDonalds but maybe I'll change my mind someday.

Bill