Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Driving Blind

Michael Jordan: Most people wouldn't believe that a man often lauded as the best basketball player of all time was actually cut from his high school basketball team. Luckily, Jordan didn't let this setback stop him from playing the game and he has stated, "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Hannah Arndt Hannah Arendt.

Did you know that one of the most frequent item listed on people's bucket list is to drive a race car? While the following class may not satisfy the need to drive a race car I'm betting it comes pretty damn close:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/27/video-bmw-teaches-evasive-driving-techniques-at-a-cold-war-air/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk1%7C198441

I actually think I would love to take this class, you?

Speaking of driving what you think of the idea of technology that allows the blind to drive? Apparently this one blind driver did pretty well at Daytona:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/31/blind-man-tackles-the-road-course-at-daytona-on-his-own/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C198441

I'm not sure how I feel about the technology. I think they would do well with the expected but it is the unexpected that would scare me.

Next up is Fashion. Fashion at the Screen Actors' Award show last Sunday Night. I couldn't find one article with a all the dresses but the following two articles should do the trick:

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com/2011/01/sag-awards-2011-fashion-round-up.html

http://grasiemercedes.com/womens-fashion/sag-awards-2011-fashion-round-up/

My favorite was January Jones. My least favorite by far was Helen Bonham Carter. I also thought Julie Bowen was stunning and ground breaking wearing a pants suit instead of a gown. Jenna Fisher, Mila Kunis and Jane Lynch made my bad list. Hailee Steinfeld, Kyra Sedgwick and Amy Adams were on be good list.

Hope this is a stunning day for you. Looking forward to your insights on today's post.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Helping the blind to maneuver is a good thing. Blind people driving? Not so good. But it won't happen and if they get practical use out of whatever they were using, that's a good thing.

I once worked on a film about a course in race-driving. I didn't take the course, but got to take my car around the track once, all alone and with no speed limit on me. It's surprisingly hard to do if you're used to freeway driving and constantly watching for other cars.

Didn't watch this award show, but I do like seeing the dresses later. As usual, I agree with some of the choices and not with others. I really like Mila Kunis's multicolored dress.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree completely with you about the blind.

What an interesting experience on the race track. You would think it would be would be easier. Now I really want to try it.

I didn't really like the way the Mila Kunis dress fit her.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I like Jordan's attitude!

Found the BMW thing particularly interesting, as one of Himself's ham buddies (the one I want to adopt me as his mother) works for BMW in their ergonmics department. I've forwarded the URL to Himself, to forward to Chris.

The blind driving. While I can't say I'm comfortable with blind people driving, I do see where the techniques could be a positive thing for folks who are losing eyesight, may be declared legally blind, but aren't totally blind, like folks who have macular degeneration or advanced glaucoma or the like. Again, I think it's a case of applying a bit of common to available technology and assuring safety, while promoting independence.

I thought the dresses featured in the two articles about the SAC were a cut above what we've seen (well, what you've shared - I don't watch) in the past. There were several that were quite attractive, most with good taste, a few I would have modified, but at least we didn't have people "spilling out" of their gowns, based on the photos. I didn't see the pantsuit you referred to, but was kind of skimming. Still, I've always felt a tasteful, well cut and well fitted pantsuit was as flattering and could be as formal as a ball gown, depending on the wearer and event.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I like Jordan's attitude.

Let me know what your adopted son says about the article and the class. And if there is going to be one in Portland, Oregon.

I agree with you about the blind driving.

I also agree that the SAG award fashions were among the best of recent award shows. Very tasteful.

Here is the link to Julie Bowen and her pants suit:

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20173968_20462133_20905847,00.html

Tell me she doesn't look beautiful in that pantsuit!

Bill

Lady DR said...

She does look beautiful and the pantsuit is cut to fit and look like a "sheath" evening gown. I'd like a little less cleavage, which would add a little more class and taste, but good for her for showing pants can be just as impressive as a gown.

William J. said...

Hi DR

She had a baby about eight months ago, which is one of the reasons she chose a pantsuit.

At first I thought it was an evening gown.

Less cleavage would have made it classier.

Bill