Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Sunday Update

Julia Roberts auditioned for All My Children and was rejected because "she couldn't act."

Today is Super Sunday. I am going to be at my sister and her husband's house for a a party to watch The Super Bowl, Green Bay Packers vs. The Pittsburgh Steelers. Of course as always the commercials are almost required viewing. I'm rooting for the Packers. I hate the Steelers. The Steelers quarterback twice has been accused of sexual assault, date rape. The NFL did suspend him for four games for violating their personal conduct policy. Criminally he hasn't been arrested, charged, or jailed. However, I believe where there is smoke there is also fire. One incident could possibly be a false report, two incidents is a habit and also most likely means unreported incidents. I don't want a rapist led team to win the Super Bowl. I'm hoping Packers 24-21. GO PACKERS.

For the commercials. I'm betting the worse commercials of the day will be from GoDaddy.com. They will be sexist and rude. The best will be the beer commercials, any commercials involving animals, and any commercials showing men looking stupid. You can see a list of most of the commercials here:

http://www.superbowl-commercials.org/

My update for last week. Three days two nights at Mom's. Dinner out last night with Mom, Sis, Brother-in-law, caregiver, and friends. One lunch and one dinner out with Mom. Cooking a couple of meals at Mom's. Laundry. Doctor about the leg. It seems to be improving but is still there. Picked up my royalty check and a work assignment from the guys that bought my practice. Finished Mom's books and another work assignment. Went to the movie THE BLACK SWAN. Interesting but it really should have gotten an X-Rating. It received the same rating as THE KING'S SPEECH (which should have been rated lower, it would be a good movie for kids to see. There was one short scene where the F word was used a few times. The man didn't stutter when he swore or sang.) THE BLACK SWAN had a very explicit scene featuring lesbian lovers and also had several violent scenes.

The week coming up. I've got my official start date for my seasonal job. It is February 14. Later than last year due to the lateness of Congress extending the Bush tax cuts. That means a lot has to be done next week to get ready. I am spending tonight, Wednesday night, and Thursday morning at Mom's. Today is the party. Then on the agenda is shopping for shoes and a couple of new shirts. I have to get a haircut. Then all my dry cleaning needs to be done. I have to load up all the tax programs in my computers (two different ones because the two firms I work for use different tax programs). I have to have my computers checked. Then my house gets a very thorough cleaning. Having a clean house to come home from work to just seems to put me in a better frame of mind. Then I need to review the information from the seminars I went too about all the changes in the law. That should be about it.

Before turning the blog over to you just a couple of comments. I'm really worried about Mom, her sick spells are coming almost everyday now. She doesn't seem to be able to focus as much as she used to. It really is frightening. On a better note the firm I worked for offered me a different position. They offered me the position of reviewing tax returns instead of preparing them. It really is a hug compliment. However, I turned it down. I like preparing tax returns. Plus I am a big picture kind of guy and not real detailed oriented. Reviewers need to really look at all the details, that's not me. I look at the end result and the highlights. Still it really was nice to be thought of as good enough to review others work.

The blog is now yours. Tell me all your secrets, including whether or not The Shankster fell again. I love hearing about what is going on with you. You are important to me and so is what you are all up to.

6 comments:

cd0103 said...

It is crazy here in Cowtown. It was so nasty here earlier in the week that everyone is out in droves now. ESPN broadcasting from downtown.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

I know it has been nasty there. My niece lives there and has had some long mornings on the air at Channel 11.

I've also read articles about how much money this storm has cost Dallas in money from the Super Bowl crowd because so many flights were delayed or cancelled. I heard they added flights yesterday and today. So it just has to be a zoo.

Hope you are well!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Julia Roberts can't act. Who knew?

Once again, I don't know how you pack all you do into each week and it doesn't sound like that's going to change any time soon, particularly with you starting back to work in a week. You list looks like it should be stretched out over a month!

Congrats on the offered promotion. I'm glad you turned it down, if it's not what you enjoy, despite the recognition behind it.

I'm so sorry to hear about the concerns with your mom. Have you asked her doctors to run tests for drug toxicity? I was just going through my AARP magazine and they had an article on how insiduous it can be, particularly for elderly patients who are on a wide variety of medications, where there may be interactions or a change in body metabolism could be a factor. Plus, taking the same medications over a long period of time may build toxicity Your comment on focus is one reason I ask. Regular drug tests won't show the toxicity, but there are blood tests that will. It's just a thought. I'll certainly continue to keep her in my prayers, as well as you and Sis and family.

Had a quiet week. Picked away at a number of nagging little issues and items, did the pool and line dance. The current ms project becomes more challenging every day, it seems, with contradictions and leaps of faith over chasms of contradictions and lack of information/reason/ credibility. Lots of time clearing out backlogged paperwork and files, including organizing recipes I've collected for longer than I care to consider, in hopes having them easy to find will help me discover the "Joy of Cooking." Interesting - after receiving a card back to old, old friends from Juneau as undeliverable, Himself began a search and found the obituary for his wife, which was sad. My sister found a phone number for the expired forwarding name and address and I found Jaye and talked to him this morning. He's 77, is getting along well, except for issues with glaucoma and is joining a local community "big band/jazz band" group where he now lives. It was a great way to start the day!

William J. said...

Hi Dr.

During tax season I might change the Who Am I to weekends to ease my schedule a bit. Right now it is OK. We will see how it works.

The promistion just wasn't a fit for me.

Great sugggestion about having Mom test for drug toxicity. I am going to stay there tonight and I will talk it over with her, if she balks I might go behind her back and have her tested.

Sometimes getting those nagging little items and issues taken care of can be huge. I'm glad you were able to fit in pool and line dance after the weather you had the previous weeks.

What a great story of being able to talk to an old friend. Of course it is very sad about the obit but that did lead to a reconnection. Your old friend sounds delightful!

Bill

Pat said...

Good for you for being offered the promotion AND for being smart enough to turn it down if it wasn't a good fit for you.

I'm SO sorry to hear about your mom. DR's suggestion is a good one. It never hurts to check things out.

One nice thing about the Super Bowl is that traffic was quite light when I went to lunch and a play with friends today. {eg}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is also a great day to go to the movies. Nobody there but women.


Bill