Friday, February 11, 2011

Good Friday

Work is going really well. They really do like having me there. Lots of hugs, glad you are back, and we need you. Since it has been only a good experience so far I am sticking with the good today. Only the good.

First up is a woman that if I meet I would no fall in love with:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/grandma-foils-a-robbery-by-hitting-thieves-with-her-purse/

That lady runs faster than I do. I could watch this video over and over.

Next up is a coach that I would want to play for. This is my idea of a coach that loves his players and wants the best for them:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/08/wake-forest-baseball-coach-gives-player-kidney/

Wouldn't you want your kids to play for this coach?

It is probably a stretch to define the following story as a good story but confession is good for the soul, no?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/itunes-salvation-roman-catholic-church-approves-confession-app/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C200062

I like that the church is trying to make it easier for the parishioners to confess but it scares me a bit because of hackers. What if someone hacked into an American spy or politicians confessions? Couldn't that be a setup for bribery?

I will respond to your comments when I get back from work tonight.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1887 and died in 1979. I was a French composer, conductor and teacher who taught many composers and performers of the 20th century. I taught in the U.S. and in England, working with music academies including the Juilliard School, the Yehudi Menuhin School, the Royal College of Music and the Royal Academy of Music. As a conductor I was the first woman to direct many major orchestras in America and Europe, including the BBC Symphony, Boston Symphony, HallĂ©, New York Philharmonic and Philadelphia orchestras. I entered the Conservatoire at the age of 10, studying harmony and composition. While still a student at the Conservatoire I became the family's only breadwinner on the death of my father. I won the Conservatoire's top prizes for harmony, counterpoint, fugue, organ and piano accompaniment. My compositions comprise 29 songs for solo singer and piano; nine larger-scale vocal works, some with orchestra; five works for instrumental solo (organ, cello, piano); two orchestral works, and an opera. As a performer I made few recordings. I was once described as "the most influential teacher since Socrates." If you know who said the following "loving a child doesn't mean giving in to all his whims; to love him is to bring out the best in him, to teach him to love what is difficult.” then you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

YEA! on the good work report and your welcome back.

Love the granny story. When will people learn you do NOT mess with old folks? (g)

The coach story was truly inspiring. It shows a lot of compassion and sincere caring, as well as courage. What an example he's set for all the kids at Wake Forest.

As to the confession app... it just doesn't sit right with me. I mean, you have to sit down and think about what your sins are, prompted by a list on your iPod or whatever? Now, I'll be honest and say we don't have Confession in the Methodist church, but kinda do it daily in our prayers. Still, I guess the idea of putting my transgressions on an electronic device kind of turns me off, for a variety of reasons. (Shrug)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Work is still going well but I am looking forward to the weekend.

Especially don't rent with a granny with a big purse.

The coach is another everyday hero. We need more people like him.

I'm with you on the confession app, it just seems wrong and I am a Methodist too.

Bill

Pat said...

Of course they love you at work. Did you doubt it? I didn't.

In my current computer state, I can't see videos (I hate Flash for updating so often!), but it sounds pretty funny. Go, Granny!

The coach did an amazing thing!

I'll vote with DR about iPod confessions. I frankly think it's too silly for words. Do they think an electronic device can give them absolution? Personally, I don't think a priest can, either, but I'd sooner believe that than an iPod.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The video is a riot, she knocks the tar out of about four robbers with her purse.

I love the coach.

And I agree with DR & You on the confessions.

Hope you get the computer problems fixed!

Bill