Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pull Down Your Genes.

An update. They moved my start date up to tomorrow. I thought I had a week to get things done before going to work, now I have today.

Let's start out the day with a really charming and cool video:

http://www.urlesque.com/2011/02/04/corgis-playing-tetherball/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk3%7C199257

Next is a story that makes you shake you head and ask, how can this happen?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110203/od_nm/us_dangerous_teacher;_ylt=AgAz8aeOlwKBa9fUtChLCMis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFmY2szNmVzBHBvcwMyMDQEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9vZGRfbmV3cwRzbGsDcXVvdGRhbmdlcm91

It seems to be there should been some type of a background check before unleashing this teacher on unsusupecting students.

Do you know how to tell a male chromosome from a female chromosome? You pull done its genes. Are you a glass half empty kind of person? Glass half full? How did you get that way?

http://www.newser.com/story/111515/glass-half-full-or-half-empty-ask-your-genes.html

I guess we didn't have a choice, it was pre-determined.

The answer to yesterdays Who Am I was Mary Cassatt. You can view some of her art work here:

http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/ggcassattptg/ggcassattptg-main1.html

Comment away.

4 comments:

Pat said...

The students pretty much lucked out since the schizoid teacher didn't act out before he was identified. Whew!

I'm having a lovely time lately. Last week was all dealing with doctors and insurance companies for an illness of my mom's. Fortunately she is recovering nicely with little help from either.

This week, or at least today and probably tomorrow, I'll be dealing with a plumbing problem. At least I like my plumber and he doesn't insist on burying me in paperwork before he'll do his job.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I didn't know you Mom was ill, I am glad she is recovering.

I'm sorry you are dealing with BOTH medical personnel and plumbing!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Loved the video of the Corgis. A neighbor in Clearwater had one.

As to the teacher -- I'd think even a temp or substitute would have to undergo a background check that would have showed this guys history. I think that's required here. At least, I hope so. It could have been a real horror story.

Pfooey on no choice. Many genetics can be overcome with proper attitude and not pushing the buttons that activate them. While I won't argue there are genetic predispositions to negativity and depression and such, they don't always show up and many can be controlled. Example: it's been shown people are genetically pre-disposed to anxiety, panic disorder and depression. However, it's not until you overload your system in some way or another that you trigger the disorders. I overloaded the system and pushed enough "on" buttons to trigger the panic disorder when I was almost fifty. Other people, with the same genetics, can get panic disorder in their teens, while others with the same genes never develop the disorder. Plus, while it's a constant conscious thing, it can be managed, with behavioral and thought process changes. So, no, I think we all have a choice. Mom was raised in a negative environment and, with all my research, I suspect it was Daddy's positive attitude that kept her balanced. I suspect each of us kids inherited certain genetics. After Daddy died, Mom was pretty okay for a while, but gradually grew more and more negative. Youngest sis has always been negative, middle two not so much. I think I'm more on the positive side, as well, but it takes conscious effort and daily meditation and affirmations to remain that way, much of the time. Maybe it's a combination of nature and nurture and, as adults, we have to be responsible for the nurturing?

Pat, bummer on all the issues you're battling. Plumbing is one of the major bugagboos of home ownership, in my opinion. Glad you've got a guy you trust.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I though the video of the Corgis was cute.

Background checks are required he to get your teaching license but once the get the license there isn't any testing, fingerprinting, or additional background checks.

I'm with you on the genetics.I think hard work can change any pre-disposed genetics. Their has to be a positive to off set the negative and like your dad my dad kept mom positive and laughing. I do think we have to watch our tendency to be negative as we age.

Bill