Saturday, February 12, 2011

Going Local

The first two articles are from my area, the first one being within walking distance of my home.

I love the quote "when you use your candle to light someone else's candle your candle doesn't go out." That quote is so appropriate for today's first story, Liam's $6 Club. That is definitely a club I can embrace.

http://www.sherwoodhomesandland.com/blog/baked-love-liam-2920

That story just touches my heart for so many reasons. First a six year old reacts to bad news by helping other children, then a ten year-old uses a Christmas gift to help the six year old. There are plenty of lessons for adults in the story.

I wish the following story was as inspiring as the first story. Instead it is extremely troubling.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/02/portland_adventist_refuses_to.html

The hospital did later issue a statement that they sent personnel out but the police dispute this. The hospital confirmed that they told the police to call 911 was because that is their policy. I'm not real versed on these things but I do think it is likely that there was a doctor inside the hospital. Couldn't they have called him or her?

This is a lesson for all of us. If you think you need to go to the hospital because you aren't feeling well, don't drive yourself, CALL AN AMBULANCE!

Think a kiss is just a kiss? Think again.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110211/od_nm/us_books_kisses_odd

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Nadia Boulanger. I always look forward to the best part of the blog, your comments!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Sweet story about the kids. Kids can be wonderful.

The second story is more than unsettling, it's appalling. That hospital should be sued within an inch of its life. Or closed if it can't do better than that. As an aside, I would certainly call an ambulance if I thought I needed the ER in a real emergency. Arrive in an ambulance and you get seen without the 11 hour wait that can sometimes happen.

Never really thought that much about kisses, but the book sounds pretty interesting.

Lady DR said...

Loved the story about the kids. Bet you're ordering brownies (g). Kids truly can be amazing.

The hospital story is, as Pat says, appalling. I'm very aware calling an ambulance is the smart thing to do. We learned that when we took Mom from the nursing home back to the hospital and the attendants explained, enroute, that by calling the EMS, they can immediately start necessary procedures right at the scene - like dealing with Mom's oxygen sats and and b/p - and radio ahead with vitals and condition, so the ER staff is ready and waiting. And, yes, you do bypass certain admin procedures. However, we've also learned that if you walk into an ER and say "Chest pains" there's no waiting to be seen and the paperwork is taken care of after the patient is dealt with.

Still, the bottom line is they have a likely heart attack in their parking lot and no one goes out to even check, let alone help? Especially, when the requesting individual is a police officer? There's something very wrong with this picture, IMHO.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Kids are almost always more aware then adults think they are.

Our D.C. Reprentative is having the hospital investigated. He thinks there may have been a violation of the medicare law which requires hospitals that are receiving medicare payments MUST treat patients on their premise including parking lots. The hospital is obviously worried as they place a full page ad that said their policies were to treat patients in a parking lot. My guess is they will be sued and investigated both.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm going to do more than order brownies, where better for my allocation of charity to go to? I will donate some money to them. What better thing to support about gets, positive actions should get positive respones.

Pat's point about not waiting is valid too. You go in an ambulance they treat you, go yourself you wait. I've used the line chest pains before for my Mom and the action, like you said is immediate.

See my not to Pat about a possible investigation.

Bill