Friday, February 25, 2011

Coffee, Parents, & Handcuffs

I recovered from a brief snow storm and now am getting ready to head out is darn cold weather. We are setting a record today for the lowest high temperature on this day in history. Lows as low as 18.

To make matters worse is I guess I will have to cut down on coffee and ditch my plans to eventually end up in Los Angeles.

http://www.aolhealth.com/2011/02/24/sex-smog-coffee-heart-attacks/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk2%7C203261

The following article is one of those head shakers. So many people doing the wrong thing in my estimation. Such a lack of communication along the way after starting with a bad idea.

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/02/24/parents-try-to-scare-daughter-with-trip-to-police-but-theyre-t/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C203249

The following article might be more classified as a determined crook instead of a dumb crook:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110224/od_nm/us_nevada_handcuffs

Hope you are looking forward to a good weekend and you can start the fun by leaving a comment.

WHO AM I

I was born in 1839 and died in 1898. I was an American educator, temperance reformer, and women's suffragist. My influence was instrumental in the passage of the Eighteenth (Prohibition) and Nineteenth (Women Suffrage) Amendments to the United States Constitution. When we moved from New York to Wisconsin weconverted from Congregationalists to Methodists,, a Protestant denomination that placed an emphasis on social justice and service to the world. After both my father and my younger sister died my brother became an alcoholic, and I began to feel love for a woman who would ultimately go on to marry my brother. To fight for the right to vote for women I traveled an average of 30,000 miles of travel a year and gave an average of four hundred lectures a year for a ten year period. The famous portrait, "American Woman and her Political Peers",features me at the center, surrounded by a convict, American Indian, lunatic, and an idiot. This image succinctly portrayed the argument for female enfranchisement; without the right to vote, the educated, respectable woman was equated with the other outcasts of society to whom the franchise was denied. We all could write about A WHEEL WITHIN A WHEEL: HOW I LEARNED TO RIDE A BIKE, 1895. I did. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

It seems just about everything will give you a heart attack. If I took all these warnings to heart, I'd just go to bed and pull the covers over my head.

Funny article (but bad idea) about abandoning a 6 y/o at the police station. Reinforces my idea that there should be a test before allowing people to be parents.

That criminal was certainly determined, you have to give him that. Stupid, but determined. I always marvel at people who try to escape arrest by high-speed chases and the like. They always get caught and often hurt others in the bargain. There should be stiffer penalties for them.

Lady DR said...

Sorry to hear about the cold temps. You have my empathy - that's what happened here after our snow storm and was one of the reasons we were all held hostage by the snow and ice.

There are so many possible causes of heart attack, Pat's right about just crawling under the covers. Moderation in all things seems to be the key. Caffeine and alcohol raise your blood pressure. Exercise raises your heart rate (a good thing, if you're in decent shape or monitored if not so). The one thing drilled into the heart attack survivors and their spouses in group therapy was that anger raises blood pressures and negative feelings and resentment lead to a type of anger. The therapist continually asked, "Is this issue important enough to die for?"

The parents were ill-advised, IMHO. I think the officers did the right thing, in refusing to take the child, but not sure about bringing charges. Quite frankly, a little common sense would have told the parents the girl (and probably the parents) needed some counseling on how to deal with the family situation. I'd be real curious to know how serious the "acting out" at school was.

Determined crook, yes. Not so sharp cops, however. If you've got a suspect in custody in the back seat, you don't leave open access to the front of the patrol car, nor do you leave the keys in the ignition. Geeez!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you, you have to live your life and the hell with all these scare tactics. I remember every Thanksgiving there used to be a scare tactic. One year cranberries caused cancer, the next year it was hot dogs. Now that were are getting close to Easter I look for articles to come out about Easter Candy not being good for you.

I completely agree that there should be tests before someone can be parents or at least they should be required to take classes first.

I also think the police should have been disciplined because I'm pretty sure it wasn't policy to leave the space between the backseat and the front seat open.
If anyone has ever escaped a police chase it has been really rare.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

This is the latest cold spell we have had in over twenty years. Almost every day we are setting records for both the low temp and the lowest high temp for that day in history. Just going out to get the paper you get cold.

Not only are there so many possible causes for a heart attach you could do everything right and still have one. And you would have missed out on a lot of fun in the process. What a great question, "Is this issue important enought to die for." I'm going to not only say it to myself but I am going to use it on Mom.

I thought bringing charges was a little severe. I would have required parental classes for the parents and family counseling.

I agree with about not so sharp cops. You don't take the risks they did.

Bill


i

Determined crook, yes. Not so sharp cops, however. If you've got a suspect in custody in the back seat, you don't leave open access to the front of the patrol car, nor do you leave the keys in the ignition. Geeez!