Monday, January 31, 2011

Award Winning Monday

Tom Landry: As the coach of the Dallas Cowboys, Landry brought the team two Super Bowl victories, five NFC Championship victories and holds the records for the record for the most career wins. He also has the distinction of having one of the worst first seasons on record (winning no games) and winning five or fewer over the next four seasons.

The Screen Actor Guilds awards were last night. The highlight for me was watching an incredible speech by 94 year-old Ernest Borgnine. Classy speech, classy guy, and more with it than I am. Just the highlights:

Movies:

Best Picture- The King's Speech, Best Male Actor - Colin Firth TKS, Best Female Actor - Natalie Portman - Black Swan, Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale - The Fighter, Best Supporting Actress - Melissa Leo - The Fighter.

Television. Best Drama - Boardwalk Empire, Best Comedy - Modern Family. DRAMA: Best Actor - Steve Buscemi, Best Actress - Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife. COMEDY: Best Actor - Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock, Best Actress - Betty White - Hot In Cleveland.

Enough about entertainment for now. I will report on the fashion hits and misses tomorrow. Let's start with a delightful article to start your week out:

http://www.oregonlive.com/performance/index.ssf/2011/01/music_has_the_power_to_pull_me.html

I just love the idea of generations being together and sharing music and fun.

Even more good news is on the horizon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110129/ap_on_hi_te/us_sober_cars

Just think of how many innocent lives this may save?

That is it for the day. Hope this day starts out your week in good fashion. Looking forward to your comments.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1906 and died in 1975. I was an influential German-Jewish political theorist. I have often been described as a philosopher, although I refused that label on the grounds that philosophy is concerned with "man in the singular." I described myself as a political theorist. My first relationship was controversial because of his support of the Nazi Party. After our breakup I wrote my dissertation on the concept of love in the thought of Saint Augustine. The dissertation was published the same year but I was prevented from habilitating, a prerequisite for teaching in German universities, because I was Jewish. I worked for some time researching anti-Semitism before being interrogated by the Gestapo, and thereupon fled Germany for Paris. While in France I worked to support and aid Jewish refugees. I was imprisoned in Camp Gurs but was able to escape after a couple of weeks. However, with the German military occupation of northern France during World War II, and the deportation of Jews to Nazi concentration camps I was forced to flee France. I married a German poet. I escaped with my husband and my mother to the United States. After World War II I returned to Germany and worked for Youth Aliyah, an organization that had saved thousands of children from the Holocaust. In 1950 I became a naturalized citizen of the United States. At Princeton I became the first woman appointed to a full professorship, a decade prior to that university's first admission of female students. I contended that Jewry was not the operative factor in the Holocaust, but merely a convenient proxy. Totalitarianism in Germany, in the end, was about megalomania and consistency, not eradicating Jews. I coined the banality of evil to describe Eichmann. I raised the question of whether evil is radical or simply a function of thoughtlessness—the tendency of ordinary people to obey orders and conform to mass opinion without critically thinking about the results of their action or inaction. I was extremely critical of the way that Israel conducted Eichmann's trial. I was also critical of the way that many Jewish leaders (notably M. C. Rumkowski) acted during the Holocaust, which caused an enormous controversy and resulted in a great deal of animosity directed towards me within the Jewish community. I did endorse Eichmann's execution with these words "Just as you supported and carried out a policy of not wanting to share the earth with the Jewish people and the people of a number of other nations — as though you and your superiors had any right to determine who should and who should not inhabit the world — we find that no one, that is, no member of the human race, can be expected to want to share the earth with you. This is the reason, and the only reason, you must hang." Have you ever thought about THE ORIGINS OF TOTALITARIANISM? That will help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Lovely story about the kids and elders and music. They should do something like that everywhere.

Not sure about the sensors to detect alcohol. If it were absolutely reliable, well, maybe. But I very much doubt it would be, and I'd sure hate for my car to refuse to go when I needed to go and hadn't had a drink.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I envision something that wouldn't be activated until one drunk driving arrest. So many, at least here in Oregon, are arrested multiple times for drunk driving and still drive. I don't think it would work for everyone.

And I agree the music should be done everywhere!

Bill

Lady DR said...

The article about the music was wonderful and especially the fact that mothers and toddlers are interacting with folks in an assisted living facility. We see so much of this, when we do shows at ALFs and nursing homes - we tend to do standards, plus the Elvis thing, but many people, who are near comatose when we start, are singing along and clapping their hands five minutes later, remembering the music and the words. We've even had a few stand up and dance with their walkers. I love seeing the three or four generations sharing the music.

There have been several experiments regarding the use of "alcohol testing" in cars. I remember reading about some sort of safeguard for those who'd been convicted of DUI. Like Pat, I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, if it's an accurate system and can prevent DUI accidents and fatalities, it would be a good thing. OTOH, it seems to be bringing us closer and closer to "Big Brother," which doesn't give me a positive feeling. This is one I'm going to have to think about.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I thought you might see a lot of what was in the article with you performances. I love that people stand up and dance with walkers.

That is why I think if they limit the drunk driving detector to those convicted of drunk driving it wouldn't be an invasion of privacy. There has to be a point where the safety of others becomes more important than an individuals right to privacy. If someone gets in a car and drives drunk putting himself and everyone near him at danger then in my book he loses the right.

Bill