Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To Many Wives & Historical Tours

Fifteen publishers rejected a manuscript by e. e. cummings. When he finally got it published by his mother, the dedication, printed in uppercase letters, read WITH NO THANKS TO . . . followed by the list of publishers who had rejected his prized offering.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Emmeline Pankhurst.

Congratulations to Auburn winners over Oregon 22-19 in the college national championship game.

Would you take the following tour?

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/10/hilter-tour-around-germany/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl5%7Csec4_lnk1%7C194701

I might take the tour if it was cheaper. It is history and one of the ways we can keep history from repeating itself is to be informed of it.

You are invited to a party and they give you a glass of wine. You ask, "what year is this?"

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/11/worlds-oldest-winery-found-in-armenia/

While there may be some reports that I have food that old in my refrigerator I think I might decline the glass of wine. Would you drink it?

How many wives are acceptable for polygamists to have? How many wives would wives allow?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/polygamist-pummeled-by-first-and-second-wives-for-planning-fifth/

I didn't know there was a limit. I would be happy to find one.

Comment at will.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry your ducks lost, but at least apparently it was a close game.

The Hitler tour sounds interesting to anyone with an interest in WWII Germany. But I wouldn't sign up for it. Especially not at $3100. I'd like to see the wine-making cave, but if there was any wine left, I'd probably decline. 6,000 years may be taking the aging process a bit too far. Polygamy? Illegal here, but I have no strong feelings about it if the husband supports them all and all the wives are there voluntarily. Probably neither condition applies, certainly not here, and probably not in Pakistan, either.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Auburn won on the last play of the game so it was a good score.

That is exactly the reason I wouldn't sign up for the tour because 3,100 is to damn expensive.

The wine would probably take like prune juice,

I am against polygamy because of the amount of abuse that goes on the relationships in sects that approve of it.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Condolances on the Duck's loss, but it sounds like it must have been a good game.

The Hitler tour might be quite interesting, from a historical perspective, but not something I'd spend that kind of money on. I'm more interested in the man's politics, philosophy and motives than his villa.

6100 years is pushing it for aging wine.

I'm not in favor of polygamy, unless all parties are willing, all wives receive equal favor (so to speak) and the same with all children. From all I've read, this is usually not the case. To be honest, I didn't realize they had polygamy in India/Pakistan.

We're still snowed/iced in. Standard advisory was to stay home again today, because of ice. There may have been some thawing today, as we did get up to 32 degrees, but all is now refreezing (nights are low teens) and that seems to be the prediction for the next few days, so one is constantly dealing with the issue of black ice. I do have hopes that I may get a window of a couple hours to get out tomorrow, midday, just as a sanity break, if nothing else. My car's next to the road. With 7" of snow on the drive, God only knows when Himself may get his car off the property. The best news of all is the ice was less than anticipated and, far as I know, everyone in the area still has power. YEA!

William J. said...

Hi DR

At least the Ducks played hard and played with class and clean. Unlike their opponent.

I've kind of become a WWII junkie and watch a lot of the history on the discovery and the military channels. They do a lot about Hitler. One of the things that surprised me the most is there were thousands of assasination attempts on Hitler many of them by people close to him. There would be some little thing, like him moving seats, delaying by a couple of minutes a trip etc. It gave him a feeling of invincibility.

I'm not even favor of of polygamy even if all parties are willing mainly because of the ages of some of the wives in sects. Someone may be 16 and willing but may not really now what she is getting into. I also didn't know that had polygamy in Pakistan.

Our storm has been reduced to light freezing rain and just for tonight. It should melt by noon tomorrow.

I'm sorry you are still snowed in and hope you do get a break tomorrow.

Bill